Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 12:09 PM

Default Getting high blood pressure

So, its Sunday morning , good day to deal with the drain change that desperately needs doing in the ensuite bathroom. Get it all apart, It's full of crap and I'm contorted in an impossible position. Phone rings, Thinking it's my son, I crawl out, crap all over my hands and make it to the phone on the last ring. "Hi, this is Amy from Rapid Home Solutions calling, how are you today ? " Sorry, I'm dealing with a rapid home solution right now, No need to finish that sentence

Grizz
Old 01-20-2019, 12:24 PM

Are you still answering your ground line? I stopped a few years ago, let them leave a message. 99% of calls are telemarketers.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:36 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Phone rings leave a message too busy to play ring and run game....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-20-2019, 02:03 PM

Default High BP

Just my 2 cents worth, but it's a phone call...nothing to get too excited about.

Fortunately, in all my years & of the thousands of phone calls I've taken, I have yet to receive a phone call that needed any immediate attention on my part. If I'm in the middle of a task & the phone rings, I respond when I have time. I'm pretty sure that most of the AO community have had the same experience.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:09 PM

I used to get calls from India telling me how badly my PC is infected and BS like this. I played along many many times until it was no fun anymore. Called Telus and added a "call control" feature. No telemarketer gets through now.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariu View Post
I used to get calls from India telling me how badly my PC is infected and BS like this. I played along many many times until it was no fun anymore. Called Telus and added a "call control" feature. No telemarketer gets through now.
People actually fall for that.... a lot!!

No land line is a good line.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:37 PM
Gone Hunting

The phone certainly has gone through a transformation from the days when the few who had one in their homes on a party line to 'let the answering machine get it' Pranking an answering machine just isn't as appealing as doing it to an answering machine.

Would you call me back to let me know if your refrigerator was running?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-20-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57charlie View Post
Just my 2 cents worth, but it's a phone call...nothing to get too excited about.

Fortunately, in all my years & of the thousands of phone calls I've taken, I have yet to receive a phone call that needed any immediate attention on my part. If I'm in the middle of a task & the phone rings, I respond when I have time. I'm pretty sure that most of the AO community have had the same experience.
Normally, but timing is everything and the relevance of the call to my ongoing project. made it especially irksome. I was actually expecting a fairly important call, or I would have ignored it.

Grizz
Old 01-21-2019, 03:21 PM

We’re on the do not call lost, but of course some call anyways. It seems like a long time since getting a carpet cleaning call, but I’d just say we’re all hardwood floors. For the duct cleaners I just note that I own a heating company.

Whatever they’re calling about, just note that you own a company that offers the same service.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:13 AM

Telemarketers are getting wise to people not answering calls from some area code and prefix that they don't recognise so the get a local # from Telus or Sask Tel so people think the call is from someone local.

I answered one of these not long ago, I realised it was a telemarketer and he asked for me by name, I said hold on a minute I'll get him, and just laid the phone down on the table, didn't take long before he hung up and the phone started beeping so I hung up, he called back in a couple minutes later I gave him the same treatment, thought what the heck I'll waste a little of his time, I think he got the message as that number has not shown up on our phone since.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:06 AM

My favourite line is, I do not have ducts, but I have a lot of geese, what do you recommend, when I answer the phone.