Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2019, 10:16 PM
Banned

These morons should be held accountable for intentionally putting people’s lives in danger so they can chase their “high” is bs, they should be charged for every penny of that rescue,sounds like they have no regard for you and your fellow rescuers, it’s an El Niño year, conditions are less than ideal, people need to not be selfish and use common sense, stay home!
I fear it will only get worse as I think we are over the hump as far as cold weather goes.
I hope you guys give’em a piece of your mind!
Old 01-21-2019, 11:06 PM

If I ever ended up needing S&R, I would see to it 'each' on scene
got a min of $200 put into their pockets. I'd feel way to embarrassed/indebted
of having them come out to me without some sort compensation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I fear it will only get worse as I think we are over the hump as far as cold weather goes.
February & March usually have 'at least' one cold spell each.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
These morons should be held accountable for intentionally putting people’s lives in danger so they can chase their “high” is bs, they should be charged for every penny of that rescue,sounds like they have no regard for you and your fellow rescuers, it’s an El Niño year, conditions are less than ideal, people need to not be selfish and use common sense, stay home!
That could easily bankrupt most people if helicopters, medics, ambulances, police, wardens, or the medical cost of someone who gets injured or killed trying to rescue them.

But yes I agree, people take way too many risks and put other lives on the line when they do these stupid things........sooner or later we all do stupid things
Old 01-22-2019, 07:54 AM

IDK.. I'm torn on the issue.

It seems like Sledding has a much higher incident rate than any other backcountry sport.
Is it the type of people the sport attracts? lack of education (re: backcountry smarts)? It seems even higher than quads.

I can only imagine what a rescue would cost. probably in the $50-60g range. And you don't want to turn an essential service where time is of the essence into a business.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:00 AM

Hell, I get into trouble on my old Polaris Indy 500 on my trapline north of Edson in 3 feet of snow in steep valleys and ridges. Should have more common sense to stay out of when your into your 70's.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:22 AM

Old 01-22-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
That could easily bankrupt most people if helicopters, medics, ambulances, police, wardens, or the medical cost of someone who gets injured or killed trying to rescue them.

But yes I agree, people take way too many risks and put other lives on the line when they do these stupid things........sooner or later we all do stupid things
You can buy insurance for that, if you're smart.

Grizz
Old 01-22-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Is it the type of people the sport attracts? lack of education (re: backcountry smarts)? It seems even higher than quads.
Good point.

Met a lot of sled junkies that spend 0 time in the back country other than the sled trips.

For sure they go places that would kill them if stranded.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Good point.

Met a lot of sled junkies that spend 0 time in the back country other than the sled trips.

For sure they go places that would kill them if stranded.
And I'm not meaning to "bash" them in anyways. Maybe it's just the media that shows the sled incidents more. IDK.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
And I'm not meaning to "bash" them in anyways. Maybe it's just the media that shows the sled incidents more. IDK.
Me neither.

Just something to consider....sleds are more capable today than ever and they are taking guys places they wouldnt dare in days past.