Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 01:15 PM
Banned

Default Quebec Long Gun Registry

Only 21 per cent of long guns registered in Quebec ahead of Jan. 29 deadline

A large portion of Quebec gun owners are either procrastinating or boycotting the province’s new registry for tracking unrestricted rifles and shotguns.

Quebec gun owners registered just 342,359 unrestricted long guns by the end of Sunday out of an estimated 1.6 million weapons, with just days to go before a Jan. 29 deadline. Owners have had nearly a year to fill out an online form to register their guns. They did so at a rate of about 3,500 weapons a day over the past week.

Supporters of gun ownership rights and gun-control advocates alike say many gun owners have discreetly decided to boycott the new registry and many others are waiting to the last minute to express opposition.

“It’s human nature to wait until the last minute to complete this kind of duty but there’s a very active campaign going on to encourage gun owners to boycott,” said Heidi Rathjen, co-ordinator of Poly Remembers, a gun-control advocacy group created in remembrance of the 1989 École Polytechnique massacre. “It’s a pressure tactic to push the government to back down.”

Guy Morin, a gun owner who speaks for a group fighting the registry, says he is advocating for members to delay as long as possible but not encouraging them to break the law. Many gun owners will boycott, he said, and the goal is clear: “We’re not done yet but we’re on our way to finishing it off,” he said. “It’s going better than we expected. People do not want to do it, and we run into people daily who say they won’t.”

The Jan. 29 registration deadline falls on the second anniversary of the mosque attack in Quebec City that killed six worshippers. Boufeldja Benabdallah, president of the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec, wrote a letter on Monday morning to Premier François Legault urging him to stay strong in face of opposition and to further tighten background and mental-health checks on gun owners.

No current official count exists of unrestricted long guns in Quebec but there were at least 1.6 million of the weapons in 2012 when the Conservative government under Stephen Harper ended the federal long-gun registry. “We currently don’t have more a precise number, and that is one of the reasons the registration system was put in place,” said Louise Quintin, a spokeswoman for the provincial Ministry of Public Security.

The former Liberal government in Quebec decided to create its own system for tracking rifles and shotguns, even going to court to preserve data from the defunct federal registry. Ottawa is expected to pass that data to the province once a bill before Parliament authorizing the transfer becomes law, likely later this year.

Quebec passed a law 99-8 in June of 2016 with all-party support to start fresh with its own registry. A Coalition Avenir Québec government replaced the provincial Liberals last fall. The CAQ caucus was split on the law in 2016 – seven of the CAQ’s 21 members of the National Assembly voted against – but, now in office, Mr. Legault has vowed to carry on with the law.

“The National Assembly voted for the law, hunters have had a year to conform to the law, they have days left to register, and the law will apply Jan. 29,” said Jean-François Del Torchio, spokesman for Public Security Minister Geneviève Guilbault.

How adamantly the government will enforce it is an open question, according to Ms. Rathjen, noting Ms. Guilbault has said she prefers prevention to repression.

“I don’t know how we can be more clear than to say the law will be in effect Jan. 29, 2019. It’s pretty straightforward,” Mr. Del Torchio said.

Failure to register a weapon is punishable by fines ranging from $500 to $5,000, but Mr. Morin said police will have to catch non-compliant owners first. “People are not that afraid of getting a fine. Some are looking forward to getting one so they can challenge it in court,” he said.

Quebec’s gun-control debate has echoed the pan-Canadian one that went on more than 20 years. Many gun owners argue the registry will do nothing to prevent crime, is costly and unfairly targets law-abiding owners. Gun-control advocates counter that the registry is a simple method to force owners to be more responsible for their guns and to warn police officers dealing with domestic disputes if guns are present.

Polls going back many years show a large majority of Quebeckers support registration. Mr. Morin said the gun registry is reinforcing a rift between urban and rural Quebec. “Mr. Legault was elected with 74 members from the regions and one from Montreal. We don’t understand why he’s persisting with this,” Mr. Morin said.

The Quebec government has budgeted $21-million to launch the registry and projects it will cost $5-million a year to maintain. The federal registry went hundreds of millions of dollars over budget repeatedly over its implementation and lifespan, undermining it politically. Quebec’s next budget – the first for the CAQ – is expected in March.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...head-of-jan-2/
Old 01-22-2019, 01:23 PM

My Gawd I wish the separatists had won the referendum. Would have solved so many problems.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-22-2019, 01:24 PM

I hope the feds are paying attention to this.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:35 PM

I gather the new government isn't on board with the Registry, maybe there's hope.

Grizz
Old 01-22-2019, 02:11 PM

How can the government fine someone for guns they don't know about unless they register them? I see a flaw in the plan
Old 01-22-2019, 04:39 PM

Glad I don't live out east over there...way over there where I will never be, even on a holiday...id rather just stay here and help others with the cleaning and maintenance of their long guns, mine have been gone long long time ago...very long time ago, hope this helps a bit...
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 01-22-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
How can the government fine someone for guns they don't know about unless they register them? I see a flaw in the plan
I'm assuming hunter spot checks?
Old 01-22-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Yup, anything unregistered is a safe queen.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Or dropping by shooting ranges.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
My Gawd I wish the separatists had won the referendum. Would have solved so many problems.
I think like this often.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:29 AM

Default Quebec registry.

If I lived in Quebec it would be a tough decision to decide not to register if I had possessed long guns under the former Federal Registry. Quebec still has all the data from the federal registry and if they were serious it wouldn't be hard to start knocking on the doors of former registered owners who didn't register in the new Quebec system.

Phil
Old 01-23-2019, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
If I lived in Quebec it would be a tough decision to decide not to register if I had possessed long guns under the former Federal Registry. Quebec still has all the data from the federal registry and if they were serious it wouldn't be hard to start knocking on the doors of former registered owners who didn't register in the new Quebec system.

Phil
How does Quebec still have that information when it was all supposed to be destroyed?
Old 01-23-2019, 11:13 AM

They went to court to force the federal government to keep the information for Quebec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2019, 12:02 PM

Exclamation Because lying "you know whats"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
How does Quebec still have that information when it was all supposed to be destroyed?
Short answer- because the RCMP bureaucracy kept a copy for their records. In the famous words of Detective Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen in "The Naked Gun, from the files of Police Squad"): "Move along people, nothing to see here."

Link to June 15, 2017 article in the Toronto Sun:
https://torontosun.com/2017/06/15/th...c-755b979f6f5a

Quote:
Canada’s gun registry isn’t gone after all.

Despite a clear vote in Parliament to destroy it, despite a Supreme Court ruling that it could be destroyed and despite assurances from politicians and top bureaucrats – including a senior Mountie – that the data was all destroyed, it turns out there are two copies left of the Quebec portion of the registry.

Questions about the existence of backup copies of the registry surfaced last week after Liberal Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale tabled a bill that would give the Quebec government all the records that existed from the registry on April 3, 2015. The bill would also allow the Information Commissioner to review the records in order to settle an outstanding claim.

Goodale refused to answer questions about where the data was being sourced considering the data was supposed to have been destroyed. Rumours of backup copies have long persisted among Canada’s gun owners but never been confirmed, until now.

Goodale’s press secretary, Scott Bardsley, confirmed to me via email that two copies of the registry still exist all thanks to Harper era Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney.

“Under the previous administration, a complete copy of Canadian Firearms Information System (CFIS) from April 3, 2015 was maintained by the RCMP in a secure location due to an investigation by the Information Commissioner into an Access to Information request received in March 2012,” Bardsley said.

Another copy, this one just containing the Quebec gun registry records requested by the Information Commissioner is kept under seal by the court while the case is being heard.

Yes, that’s right, there are still copies of parts of the gun registry and it is thanks to the Conservatives and not the Liberals.

What is significant about the date of April 3, 2015 is that it is exactly one week prior to the date the RCMP claims they began destruction of all the Quebec registry records. Testifying before a Commons committee on June 4, 2015, Deputy Commissioner Peter Henschel told MPs the Quebec records had been destroyed, just like the records for the rest of Canada.

“The RCMP deleted the remaining Quebec records from the Canadian Firearms Information System between April 10 to April 12, 2015,” Henschel said.

Turns out, that testimony wasn’t true and now the hard drive copy the Mounties have will be turned over to Quebec, after the passage of bill C-52, to allow the province to start their own gun registry.

Groups representing gun owners are furious.

Canada’s National Firearms Association, which is suing to block a Quebec registry, said this goes against a law passed by Parliament.

“It is disturbing that the records of the Quebec portion of the firearms registry have remained intact despite the clear will of Parliament to have them destroyed,” president Sheldon Clare of the NFA said.

“It is outrageous that this type of behaviour by the RCMP is tolerated in a modern democracy,” said Tony Bernardo of the Canadian Shooting Sports Association.

“Is there no one that has the courage to deal with the out-of-control RCMP brass?"

Bernardo has a point. Why would Deputy Commissioner Henschel testify before Parliament that the registry records had been destroyed when his department was sitting on a hard drive with the data he claimed was deleted?

The public was lied to by politicians and the Mounties, now they are owed some honest answers.

TIMELINE

May 5, 2012 – C-19, the Ending the Long-gun Registry Act, receives Royal Assent and becomes law

October 26-31, 2012 – all of the long-gun registry data outside of Quebec is deleted by the RCMP

March 27, 2015 – The Supreme Court rules that Quebec has no legal right to the registry data and Parliament can have it deleted

April 3, 2015 – RCMP make a full backup of all data in the Canadian Firearms Information System including the Quebec portion of the registry

April 10-12, 2015 – RCMP deletes the Quebec portion of the registry but not backup they have placed on a hard drive

October 19, 2015 – Justin Trudeau and the Liberals replace Stephen Harper and the Conservatives after winning the election

June 9, 2017 – Liberal introduce bill C-52 offering Quebec the registry data, despite their election promise not to start a new gun registry
As far as Quebec identifying who to target after January 29? Every Quebec citizen with a PAL or RPAL that does not have at least one firearm registered will be on their list. You can take that to the bank.

Trust no one. Enjoy the decline.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-23-2019, 12:25 PM

Chip,, chip, chip..yet some still trust the Government to do the right thing....LOL
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:08 PM

What no search warrant? Just knock and please enter. They might need gun sniffin' dogs. Criminals are exempt! Revolt I tell ya. Just say no and shake your fist