Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 PM

Default Dore lake Sk

Anybody been to dore lake this year?
I heard the water is high this year.
It'll Be my first time there.
Staying at dore lake lodge near the end of July.
Any advise or hints for this lake?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 PM

The folks that run the Dore lodge are good folks.

For pike look for 10-15' of water with leafy weeds. There are big walleye there but this is my first year really trying for them.

The last time I was out the fish were transitioning between spring and summer so it was tough fishing.

The mouth of "T" bay
Saskatoon Island
Whelan bay

Are a couple of places for pike this time of year.

There is a mid-lake hump a mile or so from the michell point launch (just about straight out) which is a typical walleye spot. that whole rocky shore line can produce big walleye and pike but they seem spread out there.

The water is deep this year but the year to year level has been pretty constant for 4-5 years now.

It's a big lake so it can get pretty wild in a hurry, so keep an eye on the weather. Last year I was blown off the lake for most of my one week out. Last time out it went from dead flat to sort of hairy in 20 min.

There are also many nasty reefs and points most but not all will give some warning so run with the sounder on. But some are extra nasty and will come up too fast at crusing speed.

I have not talked to the father in-law latly so I don't know where the fish settled after spring but this time of year you run and gun till you find active fish.

Have fun
Old 08-08-2010, 09:10 PM

How'd you do Xiph0id? I'm planning on heading up there the weekend of the 20th and have never been before and therefore am looking for any info. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM

I am heading there July 27th weekend.
Will update when I get back.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 PM

I have not been there this year, but around the old mink ranch, has been a good spot in the past and strte out from the lodge dock is good for evening walleye, I have caught an 11lb hog off the dock there, the best thing you can do is phone Dwane and Val at Dore lake lodge, they are great people and probably would have no problem answering any questions. Just a hint of advice for the pike, GO BIG. The large 6'-8" baites in the chartruse green and perch patternes work great, use heavy line. Last time I was there got a couple walleye on a #4 Len Thompson.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 PM

Oops I mean I'm headed there aug 27 weekend
Old 08-09-2010, 10:03 PM

Was there in June. Couldn't have asked for better fishing. If you're going to Dore lake lodge make sure to talk to wayne about where to go. They will tell you all the goods spots. Just out to the right of the dock was the best for Wally's. The strange thing about Dore is we didn't catch one thing jigging. Casting spoons was what we nailed them on. A number 1 or 2 Brass Len Thompson worked the best but we were even catching eyes on the good old 5 of diamonds. I think the smallest we caught was 5 pounds. Biggest of the trip was over ten. We also nailed some big pike. Biggest I got was 16 pounds but i'm sure there are way bigger. You'll have a lot of fun.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Just the mention of Dore brings back great memories.. Our Family fished there every summer back in the early 80's. This is one huge, cold lake. The fishing was next to none for the big pike(len thompson yellow with red diamonds) and a few walleye until the commercial nets hit the lake. I remember getting caught out in a storm across the lake from the camp, close to 20 miles or so.. Like I said its huge in my memory. We improvised a fish cookout and picked wild blueberrys.. great memories. I remember the huge wooden dore boats my dad rented until he saved enough for a boat of our own. They had a hull that we kids could hide under easily while we watched Dad get soaked by the rain/wind as we moved around the lake.

Please keep us informed as I'd love to get Dad and the family back up there some day.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:46 PM

One of the best things about fishing out of the Lodge is the bay its in and the sandbar that cuts off the rest of the lake, its runs about 4 feet deep and keeps the rough water to a minimum. I have yet to see weather bad enough that kept me on shore, although we haven't been able to get out on the lake quite a few times. One of the best spots in the evening is straight out from the dock about 300 yards. I caught a bunch of nice 6lb walleye and my old man caught a 25lb pike there.

A word to the wise though, don't keep Walleye over about 4 lbs they get very muddy tasting when they get much over 5.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:40 PM

Let us know what it was like. Me and my Bro inlaw are thinking of heading there at end of Sept for some big pike. We have been going to Tobin late fall and the last few years it has not been great. Last year we caught 3 Pike total in 2.5 days. Also Walleye were slow when windy and couldn't get on the lake. Definitly time for a change and Dore is in our top 3 potential places.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 PM

All this talk is getting me excited.
I leave in 8 days and will be staying there for 3 nights.
I will definately update when I get back.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:59 PM

I just looked at the calender
I don't leave for 14 days
damn night shift lol
Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 AM

Thanks for all the info! I will be up there this coming weekend so I'll report back.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:55 AM

Any updates?
I leave in 2 days.
Can't wait to be there and out of the city.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:16 PM

The weather was pretty bad this past weekend so didn't get to do as much fishing as I hoped for. As a result, we never ventured too far away from the lodge. We caught a decent number of pike when we actually made it out. Most were in the 4-6 lb range. We never managed to find any big ones though. The lodge owners will give you some good tips. Good luck. Hopefully you find better weather.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:31 PM

I was up the first two weeks August broke my lifetime biggest pike no scale or tape but it was pushing 20 real hard (I got pics). The last I heard for big pike go to the back side of "big Island"

http://www.saskfishinglakes.ca/depth_maps/DORE.pdf

You will see on the map that island there is a flat spot on the NE corner there is a trough between 4' to 5' reefs. it's a good spot for big fish. we caught 4 over 15lb in there but not many fish. Lots of prop danger there noteably a long reef half mile or more comes off the south west point.

There is a red cabin in a small bay the owners name was "alex can't remember last" I think a local trapper who died in the last few years. But that little bay produces lots of eaters. We hauled alot of newbes this year so we stuck with higher volume locations.

Next year I will be exploring the bay behind Big Island.

Have fun.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:11 PM

too bad you never got out that much. I was in the area for a while earlier in the summer and planned to go to dore but deleronde was giving us fish on every cast near the narrows so we just stuck around there
Old 08-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Dwane and Val at Dore lake lodge are first class people. I really enjoyed my time up there last year. I was supossed to go up there september long(had 2 cabins booked) but had to back out. I will be going back next year.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:56 PM

I just sent Dwane and Val an email. I gave them the link to this site. I think they should read all the nice things people say about them. They work really hard and make sure everyone is taken care of. See u next year guys!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren77 View Post
Dwane and Val at Dore lake lodge are first class people. I really enjoyed my time up there last year. I was supossed to go up there september long(had 2 cabins booked) but had to back out. I will be going back next year.
X2 on the first class people, hands down my favorite lake to fish. My dad caught his biggest pike 25lbs, about 300 yards straight out from the dock last June. I would love to get back up this fall.

I heard from a buddy of mine that I was on a huge picture at the outdoors man show in Lloyd with my 10.5lb Walleye.
Can't say enough good things about the lake and Dwayne and Val!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM

I am thinking of booking there in the end of september. We have 2 boat options. One is new but won't be a good troller. The other is older but better for trolling. Which would you guys take? Did you catch lots of fish just casting or better to troll? The new boat is about 4 hours closer so would like to take it.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:58 PM

Spent two years on back to back trips with Michelle Lodge on Dore Lake. GREAT folks, and great equipment!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:20 AM

We pretty much just drift an cast. usually there is enough wind to keep you covering water. At least for pike.

When you get close PM me and i'll check with the father in-law (lives there during the summer) see if there is some specifics I can give you.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:24 PM

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to post this but was busy and went away again the next weekend.

My girlfriend and I had a blast.
Our trip to Dore lake was from friday to monday.
The wind was wicked and ****ing me off!
We did not fish friday due to wind.
Saturday we fished for a few hours and caught 2 5lbs pike.
They were very tasty.
Sunday we fished for about 4 hours and toured the lake in the calmer water.
Caught 4 around 5lbs.
Monday we fished for anouther couple hours and caught 2 more right around 5lbs.
Smallest fish of the trip was 4.5 lbs biggest was 5.5 lbs.

The 4 days we were there we spent either fishing, cooking, sleeping or f#$king! We only fished total of about 8-10 hours, only cooked 3 meals a day and only slept 8 hours a day, leaving the last activity! LOL

It was a great weekend less the wind.
I will return. And if the wind ain't too bad next time I can get some good fishing in.

Also Dwayne and Val were great and the pike were awesome tasting.
We have eaten 3 so far. Dwayne can fillet like a son of a bitch!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to post this but was busy and went away again the next weekend.

My girlfriend and I had a blast.
Our trip to Dore lake was from friday to monday.
The wind was wicked and ****ing me off!
We did not fish friday due to wind.
Saturday we fished for a few hours and caught 2 5lbs pike.
They were very tasty.
Sunday we fished for about 4 hours and toured the lake in the calmer water.
Caught 4 around 5lbs.
Monday we fished for anouther couple hours and caught 2 more right around 5lbs.
Smallest fish of the trip was 4.5 lbs biggest was 5.5 lbs.

The 4 days we were there we spent either fishing, cooking, sleeping or f#$king! We only fished total of about 8-10 hours, only cooked 3 meals a day and only slept 8 hours a day, leaving the last activity! LOL

It was a great weekend less the wind.
I will return. And if the wind ain't too bad next time I can get some good fishing in.

Also Dwayne and Val were great and the pike were awesome tasting.
We have eaten 3 so far. Dwayne can fillet like a son of a bitch!

Does anyone else want to see pics?
Of the fish you perverts!!

But seriously thanks for the update. We have decided on Delaronde. We are just going to far to chance the wind on the big lake at Dore.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:20 PM

i8 live in bigriver and havnt had the time to hit Dore.SHAME ON ME. Just too many other lakes to fish closer .Hopefully next year
Old 09-14-2011, 10:22 PM

How has it been fishing this year? I am heading up there Sept 25 and have never been so any new info would be welcome.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:32 AM

Default Michel Lodge , clean , comfortable beds .

I know Wayne and Kathy at Michel Lodge out on the Michel Point . It was the best tasting home cooked fish (My catch) , and home cooked meals with healthy salads etc I have ever had. The cabins , bedding , barbecues , showers , washrooms , and even the boats were in perfect condition. The evening starts with firepit , hoisting a few sasperillas and off to bed for the next mornings fishing expeditions . I am coming back in the summer of 2014. I cannot think of a better place to be on Dore Lake . Thankyou Wayne and Kathy !!! *****I forgot to mention , I rented the Michel Lodge private island on Dore Lake , with Wayne's expert knowledge of this lake (27years) I stayed on this island and was surrounded by the HOT ZONES !! wow , a 33 pounder ....My wife caught a large , very large Pike , it stretched and ripped my heavy duty rubber net I had just purchased at the fishing Hole !!! It was approx 40 inches long . I am going back to get him again.