Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2014, 02:56 PM

We need a Bass Pro Shop! The problem with our stors is crappy teminal tackle. Although WSS has just upgraded to Owner hooks and jigs (way to go guys). I can't uderstand why every store in Edmonton has the same Eagle Claw or even crappier hooks and terminal tackle. Why not branch out and have a good selection of higher quality stuff. That is what BPS does better than any of the Edmonton based stores.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:16 PM

I say they should be opening all these stores in Red Deer, then you all can drive here instead of us driving to the city all the time, and depending on your needs, flipping a coin between Edmonton and Calgary for Bass Pro or Cabelas, or even worse, have to go to both.

Come on now. Red Deer is beautiful!

It just makes sense.

Cheers
Old 04-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post
We need a Bass Pro Shop! The problem with our stors is crappy teminal tackle. Although WSS has just upgraded to Owner hooks and jigs (way to go guys). I can't uderstand why every store in Edmonton has the same Eagle Claw or even crappier hooks and terminal tackle. Why not branch out and have a good selection of higher quality stuff. That is what BPS does better than any of the Edmonton based stores.
Lots of Gamakatsu hooks and Mustad terminal at TFH, I have found them to be pretty good.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Lots of Gamakatsu hooks and Mustad terminal at TFH, I have found them to be pretty good.
An assortment of Gamaktsu octopus hooks does not cut it. I would like to see a selection of jigs, worm hooks, drop shot hooks..... etc. Too much Danielson, Matsuo and eagle claw crap in all the Edmonton stores. Mustard is really the bare minimum for quality. How about some good Spro terminal tackle? There is so much really good stuff out there but we generally have to order it on line and pay huge shipping fees.

I have never understood why some anglers buy low cost terminal tackle. The cost difference between a "Jim's jig" bought out of the bargain bin and a good Gamakatsu or Owner jig is about 70 cents a jig. The difference in quality is day an night. You spend all that money on gas, boats, bait....... and then fish with a hook or jig that costs 29 cents and is worth even less. The quality tackle doesn't fail and lasts longer so you don't even save money. I have caught scores of fish on the same hook without having to resharpen it when using quality tackle.

I guess to each their own. I wish just one store would cater to the higher end consumers of terminal tackle.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:25 PM

well said fishnfoo i found out the hard way buying the jims jigs not thinking of the quality till i used it and found they tend to straighten out fairly easily.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
well said fishnfoo i found out the hard way buying the jims jigs not thinking of the quality till i used it and found they tend to straighten out fairly easily.
If you are looking for a strong jig, check out the slow poke jigs (TFH). The only other jig I have seen as strong were the smack jigs, they were made by a local guy, but have not seem them for a few years.

I have been using the slow poke and smack jigs for years, strongest hooks I have seen, good paint finish, and stand up style head.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post
An assortment of Gamaktsu octopus hooks does not cut it. I would like to see a selection of jigs, worm hooks, drop shot hooks..... etc. Too much Danielson, Matsuo and eagle claw crap in all the Edmonton stores. Mustard is really the bare minimum for quality. How about some good Spro terminal tackle? There is so much really good stuff out there but we generally have to order it on line and pay huge shipping fees.

I have never understood why some anglers buy low cost terminal tackle. The cost difference between a "Jim's jig" bought out of the bargain bin and a good Gamakatsu or Owner jig is about 70 cents a jig. The difference in quality is day an night. You spend all that money on gas, boats, bait....... and then fish with a hook or jig that costs 29 cents and is worth even less. The quality tackle doesn't fail and lasts longer so you don't even save money. I have caught scores of fish on the same hook without having to resharpen it when using quality tackle.

I guess to each their own. I wish just one store would cater to the higher end consumers of terminal tackle.
I stay away from the Danielson, Matsuo etc. stuff as well. I have had good luck with the Mustad Diamond Eye swivels in about a size 12. The Diamond Eyes keep your knot centered on the line focusing the stress along the axis of the swivel and the small swivels are said to be more efficient, having less "drag" on the spin.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:13 PM

cool thanks for the tip man
Old 04-18-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Don't understand the complaining.

The more stores the better.

Love to have a BP, Cabelas and Fishin Hole here.
Totally agree! Negative Nancy's go curl up with your blankies, suck on your thumbs and have a little nappy maybe you'll wake up in a better mood!

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 04-18-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
If you are looking for a strong jig, check out the slow poke jigs (TFH). The only other jig I have seen as strong were the smack jigs, they were made by a local guy, but have not seem them for a few years.

I have been using the slow poke and smack jigs for years, strongest hooks I have seen, good paint finish, and stand up style head.
Sol-poke jigs use Mustad hooks. Mustad is ok but not top tier (same goes for the swivels). Much better than the bargain basement stuff but does not have the sharpness of Gamakatsu or Owner hook. The point is that all terminal tackle is relatively cheap. Even the most expensive hooks or jigs are little more than a dollar a piece. Doesn't seem like a good place to skimp because you save essentially no money. I am not someone who insists on top of the line for every thing. I think paying $800 for a reel or rod is a little nutty (but it is a relatively free country). This is particularly true when there are great rods and reels available in the $100 range. But when you can get the top of the line terminal tackle and it costs you a few bucks more, I can't see why you wouldn't.

Now if we can only get a retailer to provide some of it. The answer here is not getting more retailers that just offer the same old dreck. I always make a point of asking the retailers to order better stuff. It seems to be having an effect at WSS.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Sorry to tell you this but I read recently that the Cross Iron Bass Pro was the biggest grand opening in Bass history and is now the #1 store in both US and Canada.\\Guess them white collar guys got some bucks for the outdoors too.
Haha that's because my uncle and father in law drive there every month from Edmonton to drop bucks. So do I when we're driving through to go skiing, haha.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 04-20-2014, 01:05 PM

Default Cabellas

I frequent Cabellas often, but I wish BassPro would come to Edmonton
Old 04-20-2014, 09:59 PM

Default Almost

Looking good.

Last edited by CfnR; 04-20-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:57 AM

Default Yippeeee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfnR View Post
Looking good.
2 blocks from my house and i can't wait!!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:09 PM

Bass pro is coming to Edmonton they already bought a lot.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:20 PM

Default Bps

Edmonton International Airport (EIA) and mall developer Ivanhoé Cambridge are planning to develop a 45-acre shopping centre of outlet stores called “The Outlet Collection at EIA.”

The sprawling complex, to be built on the Queen Elizabeth II Highway south of Airport Road, will be 32,500 square metres and house 85 retail outlets.

Ivanhoé Cambridge developed "Vaughan Mills" in Toronto, which opened in 2004, and "CrossIron Mills" in Calgary, which opened in 2009, and is currently building "The Outlet Collection at Niagara," set to open next spring.

Revenue generated by leasing the land for the project will be reinvested into providing more air service at the airport, said Myron Keehn, EIA vice president of commercial development.

The scheduled opening date for the mall is fall 2016.