Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-22-2015, 10:10 PM

Default What do you guys think is he a shooter?

[IMG][/IMG]What do you all think, this is my second year bear hunting and still find it hard to judge on trail cam pics alone how big a bear is. This guy have been hitting the bait hard for the past 5 days, When i watch these vids it looks like a big bear to me but im looking for some experienced opinions!!

Last edited by Hugenuge; 04-22-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
What do you all think, this is my second year bear hunting and still find it hard to judge on trail cam pics alone how big a bear is. This guy have been hitting the bait hard for the past 5 days, When i watch these vids it looks like a big bear to me but im looking for some experienced opinions!!

Old 04-22-2015, 10:14 PM

Nevermind it works.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:15 PM

Sorry its not loading the trail cam video for some reason

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-22-2015, 10:19 PM

From what i can see, not huge by any means but a decent size.
Hard to tell.
You do have the opportunity for two tags, should be some good eating.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
From what i can see, not huge by any means but a decent size.
Hard to tell.
Guess ill have to kill him and find out haha
Old 04-22-2015, 10:28 PM

Looks like a younger bear.....if his backs over the barrel and wouldn't be able to be stuffed in the barrel it's a big bear. Tough critters to judge. Go sit and look him over.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:28 PM

Yea foresure not quite a mature bear yet hes has very little girth in his body and quite gangly yet like a teenager so to speak the ears are a little much but **** you no if this is the holly grail in your world with limited or extended time and effort and hes your first and happy with him don't hesitate if your limited with time because if you are and you kill him you will learn volumes from this experience and lots of yrs to better but heck the way i see it dont skunk your tag if this is the best because its one less bear on the land scape.prove me wrong though at best sanareo and shown us old butter ball in your next pic
Old 04-22-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
Yea foresure not quite a mature bear yet hes has very little girth in his body and quite gangly yet like a teenager so to speak the ears are a little much but **** you no if this is the holly grail in your world with limited or extended time and effort and hes your first and happy with him don't hesitate if your limited with time because if you are and you kill him you will learn volumes from this experience and lots of yrs to better but heck the way i see it dont skunk your tag if this is the best because its one less bear on the land scape.prove me wrong though at best sanareo and shown us old butter ball in your next pic
I hear ya man thanks! He's the only bear coming to the bait so far it is early so I think ill sit on the bait tomorrow and see if i can get a real life perspective on him and go from there.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I hear ya man thanks! He's the only bear coming to the bait so far it is early so I think ill sit on the bait tomorrow and see if i can get a real life perspective on him and go from there.
It is very early in the year. The biggest bears are usually killed the 3rd to 4th week of May when the giant boars start to cruise looking for sows. This year will likely be two weeks early.
If you have the time and are looking for a monster bear I would hold off and see what else shows up.
If you are after a decent representative and have neve killed a bear before I don't think you would be disappointed with this one. Not a giant but certainly not a 3 year old dink, from what I could see in the video anyway.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:14 PM

I would say he has good fur on him and he looks real fat. I would think he squares off around 6 feet which is a decent bear and kinda the size you want to shoot for for an average or better bear. Not huge but decent
Old 04-22-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
It is very early in the year. The biggest bears are usually killed the 3rd to 4th week of May when the giant boars start to cruise looking for sows. This year will likely be two weeks early.
If you have the time and are looking for a monster bear I would hold off and see what else shows up.
If you are after a decent representative and have neve killed a bear before I don't think you would be disappointed with this one. Not a giant but certainly not a 3 year old dink, from what I could see in the video anyway.
I have time but I also have two tags, this would be my 3rd bear ever second with a bow and the biggest i have ever killed. So with that said i was very excited to see this guy being new to the bear hunting game. Maybe a good bear to get the jitters out on and wait to fill the 2nd tag with a massive boar!!??
Old 04-22-2015, 11:54 PM

Default shooter

If that's the bear you want in 30 years time you can look back on and say in 2015 I nail the bear of lifetime, go ahead and shoot him.The reward of the hunt is within yourself and only you are going to live this hunt out,When I was younger I use to shoot and worry later and found little reward in that sometimes great other times no,then I set my expectations to where I wanted to get the greatest reward out of my hunts and shot less animals but when I put the special one down it was the greatest high I could get and put all the things that I past up behind me.Whatever you do I wish you the greatest of luck.

Last edited by JD848; 04-23-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:26 PM

I don't think he is as big as you think he is. Bears can be really tricky - they are likely to suffer from ground shrinkage. It's amazing how adrenalin affects perceived bear size.

I am somewhat of an authority on shooting smallish bears, lol.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 PM

I went in to the bait today and He was all over the bait. I watched him for a bit before proceeding to my stand. once he left i went up into my tree but he never came back before I had to leave. Did not get a real good look at him because it was through some spruce but still cool to see him there. Ill be heading back in tomorrow morning as i just dropped a fresh beaver in there tonight as well.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:53 AM

Take him down Paul, he will look good on the wall..
Old 04-24-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAD ON View Post
Take him down Paul, he will look good on the wall..
HAHA i agree man!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:51 AM

Default Bear size

Let him go another year or so it's to early to take one yet big boys will be out soon. Cheers
Old 04-26-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post
I don't think he is as big as you think he is. Bears can be really tricky - they are likely to suffer from ground shrinkage. It's amazing how adrenalin affects perceived bear size.

I am somewhat of an authority on shooting smallish bears, lol.
Well I decided to take him and your right ground shrinkage does happen, lol. He looked decent in the trail cam videos and it being my second bear with my bow and only 3rd ever he is the biggest for me to date. It was a great experience learned a lot about hot to better judge a size going forward as well in tracking blood trails, Which will all come in handy when one day when i do get a chance at a bruiser. For now i just feel honoured to have an opportunity to harvest such a beautiful animal.

With experience comes maturity and i think im going in the right direction as a self taught hunter. Pics to come soon!!
Old 04-26-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Well I decided to take him and your right ground shrinkage does happen, lol. He looked decent in the trail cam videos and it being my second bear with my bow and only 3rd ever he is the biggest for me to date. It was a great experience learned a lot about hot to better judge a size going forward as well in tracking blood trails, Which will all come in handy when one day when i do get a chance at a bruiser. For now i just feel honoured to have an opportunity to harvest such a beautiful animal.

With experience comes maturity and i think im going in the right direction as a self taught hunter. Pics to come soon!!
Congrats man!!!
Old 04-26-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrteam View Post
If that's the bear you want in 30 years time you can look back on and say in 2015 I nail the bear of lifetime, go ahead and shoot him.The reward of the hunt is within yourself and only you are going to live this hunt out,When I was younger I use to shoot and worry later and found little reward in that sometimes great other times no,then I set my expectations to where I wanted to get the greatest reward out of my hunts and shot less animals but when I put the special one down it was the greatest high I could get and put all the things that I past up behind me.Whatever you do I wish you the greatest of luck.
You were absolutely right, i decided to take him and it was a great learning experience something that as a self taught hunter has helped me mature in my early stages of bow hunting. It was such an honour to have the opportunity to harvest such a beautiful animal and the experience of after the shot will be something ill remember for the rest of my life. Thanks for your advise and encouragement! pics and a video to come soon
Old 04-26-2015, 07:34 PM

Default Here he is!

This is my second bear with a bow and 3rd in my life. It not the biggest in the forest but it was an honour to harvest such a beautiful animal. The experience i had will be with me for the rest of my life and with experience comes maturity for a self taught hunter will be required on the day when i do get a chance at a bruiser!!

Last edited by Hugenuge; 04-26-2015 at 07:37 PM. Reason: add a comment
Old 04-26-2015, 07:49 PM

Default good job!

Well! done , congrats on the harvest of a fine Alberta bear! Keep up the good work!
Old 04-26-2015, 07:54 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with that bear.
Congrats, 15.5" skull?
Will be some good eating and a fine rug/mount.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:36 PM

Congratulations on your bear!
Anything with the bow is an accomplishment and a good adrenalin fix.
Bears truly are the hardest animal in the province to field judge.

On a side note, I can't believe how green some guys sites are.
We barely have buds on the trees!
Old 04-26-2015, 09:02 PM

Smile

Well done

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 04-26-2015, 09:12 PM

Congrats.......
Old 04-26-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with that bear.
Congrats, 15.5" skull?
Will be some good eating and a fine rug/mount.
I will let you know soon!!
Old 04-26-2015, 09:55 PM

Congrats on a great bear.. any critter with a bow is an accomishment in itself .. great job bud !!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:12 AM
Banned

That is a baby Bear.. congrats