Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-09-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
pelt drop off area like the cwd freezers??? then the pelts could be donated to trappers
Sounds like a good idea to me. Or even a phone number list of trappers that would take pelts.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
I do not believe they are not here anyway, but based on everything I have been seeing on AO and from talking to biologists in Alberta, they should be!

Didn't they used helicopters on the mule deer in the CWD cull zones? Didn't hear any outcry then, the only outcry I hear about the deer cull is the lack of deer by fellow hunters.
There was a crap load of out cry....how do you think there was such liberal season and so many tags handed out? People complained so then the dirty work was handed over to the hunters...those who participated in the "earn a buck" program are likely some of those who complain about low deer numbers in those zones....they can't have it both ways.

LC
Old 04-09-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
pelt drop off area like the cwd freezers??? then the pelts could be donated to trappers
Those who take the time to salvage the pelt are not going to give them away...wolves are not just simply hunted and killed either, they are not gophers

LC
Old 04-09-2015, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Those who take the time to salvage the pelt are not going to give them away...wolves are not just simply hunted and killed either, they are not gophers

LC
i'd shoot one if i was out hunting and drop it off so it doesn't go to waste. (assuming opportunistic) i think that's minimal effort on a hunters part

i wouldn't skin it or anything but i would drop it off

ya the guys who go out and actively hunt them aren't giving them up
Old 04-09-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
How about the fact they're shooting ungulates, i.e. moose around the Smokey to use for bait. It's now a very long wait for moose tags in 344. 352 might be a bit better but still. How do you justify this. Imo the wolves are going to have to starve themselves out. I still like the hunting, trapping solution a lot more than useless baiting. The smokey area is especially infuriating knowing that it's useless since it's the Grizzlies that are eating calves...
I and others have tried to bring that to people's attention on this board but just got a resounding "meh" from most.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
I and others have tried to bring that to people's attention on this board but just got a resounding "meh" from most.
I certainly disagree with killing live animals to poison wolves....there is plenty of road kill around to use for bait, that practice is not a good thing by any stretch!

I also know certain poisons they use the liver of the animal to administer single doses of poison, because the liver seems to retain the poison well, I believe it is 1080 that is used.

LC
Old 04-09-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:

LC
Pests are pests, and culls are culls, those poisoned wolves are not getting recovered.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-09-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Seemed there was quite a stir about it a while back on here...aside from an email or letter to the MP of the area what can a guy do? Seemed like there was members of this board fighting tooth and nail to get a stop to it...unfortunately they weren't getting much response or action. Personally I'm torn because I make my living in the Oil and Gas industry but in all reality the amount of access up around there is the biggest problem. Poisoning is still terrible none the less and should be stopped.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Surprised no one has made the obvious statement...

Poison is THE most in-humane way of killing ANYTHING...!

Despicable, actually. Given the wide array of other (more successful) methods.
I wonder how getting eaten alive feels.......
Old 04-20-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainMusic View Post
On our trapline we see grizzlies every year during the winter, and can tell you for fact of more than 1 grizzly dieing from poision and sitting in a fish cop freezer but they dont disclose that part!
Yup I had one the end of December come out and smash a marten box on me. Shocked me and wouldn't beleive it if I didn't see it with my own eyes
Old 04-20-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
I wonder how getting eaten alive feels.......
Key word in his post.... "Humane" (human ways)
Old 04-22-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I certainly disagree with killing live animals to poison wolves....there is plenty of road kill around to use for bait, that practice is not a good thing by any stretch! LC

Agree, as far as bait, there must be tons of beef and pork parts out there from the slaughter houses to make a sufficient bait site. Just going cost a bit more to collect it and haul it out to the bush. If it saves deer, moose and elk from being killed just to attract wolves, i'm ok with it. Brutal management process, kill ungulates to kill wolves.

Trapper Gord had a couple good articles in AO on the poisoning of wolves and the secondary kills of ravens and other predators.

I would like to see the wolf numbers reduced as well. Make it more appealing for the trappers and joe blow to put in the time with a bounty. If it meant a tank or two of fuel was covered, I think more hunters would head out in the winter and try to harvest a few wolves.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Poison is THE most in-humane way of killing ANYTHING...!
I agree with you there. Poisoning is pretty low

In NWT this year the gov offer a nice $400 for a well handled pelt + $50 for the skull. If the pelt sell for more than $200 at auction they will give you a bonus $350.
I wouldn't want to be a wolf around here this year.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Would be a pr nightmare.
They are shooting them from choppers already Matt.

As for how effective getting hunters and trappers at thinning them out, even if you offered 1000$ Or 5000$ a wolf it wouldn't make a hell of a lot of difference imo. Wolves aren't that easy.

To save the caribou we need to kill as many of those wolves and Grizzlies and black bears and coyotes as possible. On top of that we have to quit screwing with their habitat by cutting down every other stick in that country but that isn't going to happen either.

I'm good with poisoning them and whatever else if it offers a chance for the caribou. The Bears, wolves etc can and will recover. Caribou??? I doubt it.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
They are shooting them from choppers already Matt.

As for how effective getting hunters and trappers at thinning them out, even if you offered 1000$ Or 5000$ a wolf it wouldn't make a hell of a lot of difference imo. Wolves aren't that easy.

To save the caribou we need to kill as many of those wolves and Grizzlies and black bears and coyotes as possible. On top of that we have to quit screwing with their habitat by cutting down every other stick in that country but that isn't going to happen either.

I'm good with poisoning them and whatever else if it offers a chance for the caribou. The Bears, wolves etc can and will recover. Caribou??? I doubt it.
Well said. I support the wolf cull 100%. And I also agree with Moose River. Not gonna buy another AFGA membership.
Someone said look at the big picture. If the wolf cull continues the big picture is looking darn good for sheep and elk hunting in the Wilmore.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
Well said. I support the wolf cull 100%. And I also agree with Moose River. Not gonna buy another AFGA membership.
Someone said look at the big picture. If the wolf cull continues the big picture is looking darn good for sheep and elk hunting in the Wilmore.
If your values are just to have more critters to shoot, they don't line up with the conservation values of the AFGA, and your right, you're not a good fit as a member.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
If your values are just to have more critters to shoot, they don't line up with the conservation values of the AFGA, and your right, you're not a good fit as a member.
Get educated on the poisoning and you will see it is the only way besides arial shooting. AFGA should not say they support stopping the wolf cull when they have not asked the members what they think. Not have a couple of higher ups speak for all of us. What are the conservation values of the AFGA? Are you saying they would like to see the wolf population explode to the point where we have no ungulates left? Does that line up with your conservation values?
Old 04-23-2015, 04:57 PM

If they are coming to baits anyway, why would you not power snare them like coyotes.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
No, maybe it's time to stop and think. The number of other animals poisoned and killed by poison laced wolf baits is not justifiable. Get past this blind hatred of wolves and look at the bigger picture.
I agree with you 100%. It's awesome to be able to hunt wolves but poison is not a discriminator of species.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
If they are coming to baits anyway, why would you not power snare them like coyotes.
I am guessing that most trappers probably would if they could shoot ungulates where the wolves are.

It would be nice if they just put a bounty on them, give an incentive for trappers to do the extra work. Also get a lot more hunters out there. Flying guys around in a chopper to set up poison is expensive.

I'd being willing to say it costs them about $5000.00 a wolf.

Any one else have a guess how much this is costing per wolf.

Last edited by dmcbride; 04-23-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Get educated on the poisoning and you will see it is the only way besides arial shooting. AFGA should not say they support stopping the wolf cull when they have not asked the members what they think. Not have a couple of higher ups speak for all of us. What are the conservation values of the AFGA? Are you saying they would like to see the wolf population explode to the point where we have no ungulates left? Does that line up with your conservation values?
The AFGA did not say they support stopping the wolf cull.

“The AFGA supports the culling of wolves in areas where there are species at risk of extirpation due to high populations of wolves”

“however the Association does not support the use of poisons nor the killing of healthy ungulates as part of the program.”

Lets see, probably costing $5000.00 per wolf and killing healthy ungulates to poison wolves. There are better ways than this.

Read this thread and get educated.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=239662
Old 04-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Banned

Here's a great article, I personally don't agree with poisoning any animal as means of population control.

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/20...r-grande-cache
Old 04-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Predator populations increase only after pray species do.

The AFGA is guided by its bylaws, policies and conference resolutions, all member approved. Want to change something? Get enough support at your club level, zone level and then provincial. It's called democracy.

Or you can take your ball and run home.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Predator populations increase only after pray species do.

The AFGA is guided by its bylaws, policies and conference resolutions, all member approved. Want to change something? Get enough support at your club level, zone level and then provincial. It's called democracy.

Or you can take your ball and run home.
The "new wilderness" is very much altered and full of easy connectivity. Efficiency of wolves hunting for game is way up and they are thriving like as if there were game everywhere when clearly there is not. It puts the ratio way out of wack and when wolves finally die off from starvation and interal strife there will be great amounts of counrty void of game.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
The "new wilderness" is very much altered and full of easy connectivity. Efficiency of wolves hunting for game is way up and they are thriving like as if there were game everywhere when clearly there is not. It puts the ratio way out of wack and when wolves finally die off from starvation and interal strife there will be great amounts of counrty void of game.
OK, that is your hypothesis.

Now show me some studies that support that. Don't give me the common sense thing, as the only is supposition.

Your right, resource extraction has opened up easier access for particularly wolves, however habitat destruction is a far far greater issue ungulate population than predation is. I don't know why there is not as much pressure and enthusiasm from members here to ensure the habitat stays, as opposed to dealing with a symptom after the fact.