Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-23-2015, 04:14 PM

Default Any AO members recently hunted in Namibia?

I am planning a hunt in Namibia. Any advice/ tips with regards to rifle exports/ transit in South Africa and import to Namibia please discuss here or send me a pm
Old 04-23-2015, 04:38 PM

Donny bear was there last year
Old 04-23-2015, 05:38 PM

Why the stop in South Africa? I've heard its better to go from Frankfurt straight to Windhoek.....As told by PH's at the recent Africa Expo in Edmonton...
Old 04-23-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
Why the stop in South Africa? I've heard its better to go from Frankfurt straight to Windhoek.....As told by PH's at the recent Africa Expo in Edmonton...
Did not know that. I went on expedia and typed in destination and it took me to Windhoek via Johannesburg. Will check it out KLM website

Last edited by Immigrant; 04-23-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:43 PM

Default Yup

You do not want to stop in SA.We had bows taken and not given to us because we did not give a tip..... 4 days later they arrived at our camp.

Fly straight to Windhoek don't mess around. There are flights from NY and Germany I believe.

Flying into SA isn't the end of the world but I would avoid it if at all possible. If you fly into SA and stay there usually there are not any issues but if you are transferring it becomes a nightmare.

And dont dress like a hunter because the airline staff pick you out of a crowd like you wouldn't believe.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
I am planning a hunt in Namibia. Any advice/ tips with regards to rifle exports/ transit in South Africa and import to Namibia please discuss here or send me a pm
Flights and information for travel to Namibia

You can either fly Lufthansa to Frankfurt and then Air Namibia from Frankfurt to Windhoek (a firearm permit is no longer required in Frankfurt) or Air Canada to London and South African Air from London to Johannesburg then Windhoek. Our travel agent is Georgia Lee 403-777-0777. She understands the challenges of travelling with guns. We have found that South African Airlines is a little more comfortable than the cattle car that Lufthansa has become. We have also heard mixed reviews of Air Namibia lately. Our last two trips to Africa we went through London without any issues.

Once you have booked your flights you must obtain a temporary export for rifle, scope, and ammo. http://www.international.gc.ca/contr....aspx?lang=eng. In order to obtain this you must have an up-to-date PAL, your flight itinerary, and a letter of invitation from the outfitter.

If you are travelling with guns through South Africa we always recommend using Air 2000 Hunter Support to clear them through South Africa. Anne and her staff are awesome. http://www.hunterssupport.com/hunters/. She can handle all of your import paperwork. They have a service in South Africa and Namibia now. It's the best money spent as they meet you right at the gate and take care of you every step of the way. There is also a permit required in Namibia but it’s easy to do yourself online or Anne can do that for you as well. You present it at the police station in the airport when you get to Windhoek.

Please remember there will be an extra charge by the airlines each way with your guns and extra baggage.

Have a great trip!

Vanessa
Old 04-23-2015, 07:24 PM

Thanks Vanessa. Really good info
Old 04-23-2015, 09:51 PM

I forgot to ask. What did you guys do with your trophies. Get it all done there and ship back, or get it done in Canada. Who did you use/ who can you recommend?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I am headed there on Tuesday for my second hunt in Namibia. Permits are a breeze. Temporary export forms from Canadian Govt and one for the Namibian side once you get there. Very easy to obtain and would be glad to help.

I am flying Air Canada from Calgary to Frankfurt then South African Airways Frankfurt to Johannasburg, then finally Johannasburg to Windhoek.

One thing I will mention is that Air Namibia does not have an inter-airline baggage agreement with some airline carriers. This means you will have to pick your bags up in Frankfurt and physically take them to that airline which you are connecting with. Not in all cases with all airlines but makes sure before you book. Further to this the statistics for that specific Frankfurt to Windhoek flight are somewhat problematic and may throw a loop in your itinerary.

If you are going to Namibia connect right through South Africa (Johannasburg) and save yourself the trouble of the SAPS 520 form. Like people said its easy with the services of Air 2000 etc but most likely your connections will get you into Joburg early enough to make the connecting +/- 2hr flight to Windhoek.

Who are you hunting with as an outfitter by the way?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I forgot to ask. What did you guys do with your trophies. Get it all done there and ship back, or get it done in Canada. Who did you use/ who can you recommend?
Brought all the trophies back (horns and skins) and used Dale at Talon Distributors in Edmonton for the trophy clearing on the Canada end. Forget the name of the company but a lady named Pam Forester did the export work for me on the African side.
I can find the info for her if need be.

Smooth process all around.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:28 PM

Thanks Timwolf. I will pm you once you get back for more info. I know I can google all the stuff and/ or ask my outfitter but it is always good to hear from guys that have been through it themselves.
I have not made my final decision but Thormahlen & Cochran looks like my first pick
Old 04-24-2015, 06:25 PM

Default trohies

Don`t do the mistake that I did!,I had all my trophies tanned in Port Elizabeth in South Africa as price was considerably cheaper there to do,The only problem with that was once they were tanned ,they had to be dehydrated prior to shipment back to Canada...and they will not rehydrate now as they are like plywood ! and local tannery cannot do anything with them..not a happy hunter!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1 View Post
Don`t do the mistake that I did!,I had all my trophies tanned in Port Elizabeth in South Africa as price was considerably cheaper there to do,The only problem with that was once they were tanned ,they had to be dehydrated prior to shipment back to Canada...and they will not rehydrate now as they are like plywood ! and local tannery cannot do anything with them..not a happy hunter!
Yikes!!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1 View Post
Why didn't you get the taxidermy work done there too if you got the tanning done ?