Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-22-2015, 10:53 PM

Default Ranchers - when to ask for permission

Like the title says, when would be a good time to call a rancher to ask for permission to hunt a quarter or two come September? Ideally I'd like to start scouting asap, so I made a call and the fellow's wife said he's really busy with calving season. (I couldn't find his home quarter but was able to get contact info because he leases crown land.)

I'm not going to lie - I don't know the ins and outs of ranching but I do know that I don't want to bug this good man at his busiest time of year.

At the same time, I'd like to get scouting as early as possible and his old lady said it was likely ok, but I needed to talk to him first. She was also very non-committal about a good time to call, hence my post.

Thanks for any insight.

BMD

Last edited by BobMarliesDonkey; 04-22-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:48 PM

Default after calving season

Calving season will be done by the end of MAY you could try to call him back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarliesDonkey View Post
Like the title says, when would be a good time to call a rancher to ask for permission to hunt a quarter or two come September? Ideally I'd like to start scouting asap, so I made a call and the fellow's wife said he's really busy with calving season. (I couldn't find his home quarter but was able to get contact info because he leases crown land.)

I'm not going to lie - I don't know the ins and outs of ranching but I do know that I don't want to bug this good man at his busiest time of year.

At the same time, I'd like to get scouting as early as possible and his old lady said it was likely ok, but I needed to talk to him first. She was also very non-committal about a good time to call, hence my post.

Thanks for any insight.

BMD
Old 04-23-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
Calving season will be done by the end of MAY you could try to call him back then.
That really depends on who you are and what schedule you are running the ranch on. Some people around here don't start until the middle of May. Although end of may is usually a safe bet.

Early June is probably your best bet to contact the person without disturbing them too much, seeding should be done or almost done if there is any, cows will be on the pasture and there will be some slower time until haying and spraying starts.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 AM
Banned

I would suggest not calling his wife "his old lady"
Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
I would suggest not calling his wife "his old lady"
...and , you have lots of time, find where he lives and meet him face to face...
Old 04-23-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
i would suggest not calling his wife "his old lady"
x100
Old 04-23-2015, 09:20 AM

yeah, she's likely the one who decides whether you get access or not.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:23 AM

Default For inquires

All contact info is on the ESRD website regarding lease land contact times
and dates. Includes phone numbers etc.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 AM

I'd wait til a bit closer to hunting season. If most ranchers/farmers are like me, I have a tendency to forget. June/July would be better
Old 04-23-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
I'd wait til a bit closer to hunting season. If most ranchers/farmers are like me, I have a tendency to forget. June/July would be better
X2. Wait till calving and branding season is coming to an end, end of July beginning of August.. We don't liked being bothered by hunters before then.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 PM

Definatley if possible face to face. I rarely agree to anything over the phone.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:57 PM

It's never a bad time to introduce yourself. Maybe stop by for the odd BS and then ask for permission. Would you want a total stranger nocking on your door and asking to go roaming around your backyard. Create a relationship before you start asking for things. And I'll also agree about the "old lady thing" probably want to avoid calling his wife that. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarliesDonkey View Post

Thanks for any insight.

BMD
Make the rounds, stop and talk to any one who will.

If life was simple we wouldn’t need politicians just government.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:05 PM

You are correct, I was commenting based on the fact that he mentioned the guy was already in calving season so typically that means late may should be done. I enjoy calving season around my place its cool seeing the new ones around

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednuck View Post
That really depends on who you are and what schedule you are running the ranch on. Some people around here don't start until the middle of May. Although end of may is usually a safe bet.

Early June is probably your best bet to contact the person without disturbing them too much, seeding should be done or almost done if there is any, cows will be on the pasture and there will be some slower time until haying and spraying starts.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:01 PM

As a rancher I prefer you come around a couple weeks before your planned hunt. If you come by my place in May and I give you permission and give you my rules there are two things that will happen, either hunter forgets the rules or rancher forgets he gave him permission and trouble ensues. A phone call doesn't cut it with me, I need to see the whites of your eyes. If you can't provide me that courtesy then forget about it. I give permission to most but have declined people for various reasons over the years.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:31 PM

If I were you and i really wanted to obtain access on his land i personally think now would be the best time to ask...I would develop a relationship with the rancher and offer to help around the property with whatever he needed help with...it makes one look a whole lot more trustworthy and respectable
Old 04-25-2015, 05:36 PM

It's best to start off small.

Start by asking if you can shoot gophers on his place from time to time.

Then in August, ask about the possibility of hunting other animals.

By then, he will see you are responsible (not shooting irrigation pipes, closing gates etc) and will more than likely be happy to have you there.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:35 AM

First part of June is the best time to ask us as calving is winding down and we are done seeding.

Someone has mentioned "starting small" and asking to shoot gophers, while I do agree with asking to shoot gophers, I prefer people to get to what they want to ask right off the bat. Some of our neighbours don't allow hunting to anyone and if you just ask you will know not to bother them for the rest of the summer.

I also like to see the whites of the hunters eye as was said before. Come out, have a little visit, get to know the rancher a little bit, ask for permission and don't beat around the bush. Most farmers/ranchers I know would prefer to be asked something outright.

DO NOT CALL HIS WIFE "OLD LADY"

Joe
Old 04-27-2015, 05:08 AM

I don't think there is a bad time to introduce yourself to a farmer/ rancher. The whites of the eyes approach is the best. If he does give you permission to hunt early in the year follow it up with a phone call or better yet a visit before your planned hunt to make sure that he is still on board with your plans. Things can happen that would change his mind about hunting on his land. Please, please, please be polite and respectful.
I asked permission to hunt a property one time and was promptly denied. I thanked the land owner and apologized for intruding on their time. The landowner asked if I was upset with them for not allowing me to hunt on their property. "No", I replied, "I'm disappointed but I have no right to be upset."
"You are the first person in 30 years that has not yelled at me."
"Really? I am so sorry."
"Come in, let me make some calls for you."
This guy called his neighbours and got me permission to hunt many properties around his. I followed up his calls with a visit to each of the people that had responded positively to his query.