Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-15-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
sorry Jason but I disagree with a few things you said. Either way it don't matter. Someone could have killed 200 birds and still have done it wrong. Another reason I don't put much on the hunting forum anymore. Not worth it. If snowman wants to help out then he can give some pointers and a few pics to help guys out not belittle people in what they are doing. An snowman don't bother PMing me anymore please

Didnt belittle you at all buddy just trying to help I could give you one tip that I got out of the info you posted that could help but whatever!

and waterfowlguide,Rick hunts migrating mid continent geese the hardest birds to kill an he does a fine job at that.we don't have mid continent geese migrate through alberta,we have the wrangle island birds an their not near as smart as mid continent birds so mass numbers of decoys is not necessary.but if guys wanna buy thousands of $ worth of decoys have at er,I'm sure jim jones loves it!!
Old 04-15-2015, 07:35 PM

snowman160- gonna have to say - you are in the top 3 best snow goose hunters that i personally know. I have hunted snow geese with a lot of people and a couple do it as well as you do but i don't know personally know any that do it better.

That said - we have never run more tham 600 decoys. I personaly would never put out more- but like you said- if guys want to - then by all means give my buddy a TangleFree a call- he would be happy to hook you up

Anyone wanting tips- i would be happ to give you some- including set up charts and photos. I regulary give seminars on snow gose hunting and have had a couple articles published on it.

send me a pm any time - i am always happy to help out a new person to the sport or anyone who is genuinely interested in learning how to shoot more birds

Dean
Old 04-16-2015, 10:11 AM

For Nube, a 60 bird day is a decent day, fall or spring. Pixel, you are a bad influence, you've spread the bug to an NBK. As to the big spread, if time allows it and the back will handle it, have at 'er. Give it a few yrs and a bunch of hunts, the little spread will feel bigger, even though it looks like a dot on a field, so does a 1500 bird spread compared to 100,000+ on a field.
When it works the way it is supposed to, it is just pure fun. The right field, the right conditions, it is a gong show, and worth every minute of the effort.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Banned

Hey Nube I just realized that you went on that adventure with Pixel Shooter on that awesome goose hunt, so congratulations on your joint success.

Like I have said before your threads kick butt!!!
Old 04-16-2015, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Pixel we will get out again bud. I think I am hooked now. I am buying more decoys and with your spread we should be able to hammer them a bit better next time. I think your idea of taking our boys with us is a good one as well.

Looks like you guys had a great shoot. How do the Spring birds taste? I imagine sausage out them would be good.

Nube as cheap as you are on the Trapping Discussion I can't see you buying decoys. I thought you would be making them out of used Sobeys bags!...LOL

Just to clarify the above paragraph is only written in fun..not to be taken as being derogatory.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Looks like you guys had a great shoot. How do the Spring birds taste? I imagine sausage out them would be good.

Nube as cheap as you are on the Trapping Discussion I can't see you buying decoys. I thought you would be making them out of used Sobeys bags!...LOL

Just to clarify the above paragraph is only written in fun..not to be taken as being derogatory.
Don't laugh, I have made snow goose decoys out of wire cloths hangers and white kitchen garbage bags, worked like a charm!
Old 04-17-2015, 08:52 PM

so my huntin partners borrowed almost all my snow decoys i wouldn't let em have my rotary machine i made cuz its not fine tuned in I kept 105 silo socks and silhouettes and used external speakers on my laptop today and limited out by 7 am on snows ,sask limits are 20 per day 3 times daily limit possession everything I used today was all home made.
kinda made all my winters frustration worth while
cant down load pics from my old computer from my camera but I 'll get some on some way some how
my huntin partners told me i was crazy and was wasteing my time on a rotary machine and e callers was just a sales gimick , well they were out by Keroberts and between 9 of them they only got 3 geese
i wonder who's crazy now

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 04-17-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:48 PM

I love reading post like that. Good job buddy. That's what hunting is all about. I've made 500 windsocks myself this winter and all the rest of the setup but not going to get to try it because of work is way too busy. So next year I'll be putting in for time off for sure.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
so my huntin partners borrowed almost all my snow decoys i wouldn't let em have my rotary machine i made cuz its not fine tuned in I kept 105 silo socks and silhouettes and used external speakers on my laptop today and limited out by 7 am on snows ,sask limits are 20 per day 3 times daily limit possession everything I used today was all home made.
kinda made all my winters frustration worth while
cant down load pics from my old computer from my camera but I 'll get some on some way some how
my huntin partners told me i was crazy and was wasteing my time on a rotary machine and e callers was just a sales gimick , well they were out by Keroberts and between 9 of them they only got 3 geese
i wonder who's crazy now
Didn't they change the possession to "no limit" there this year?
Old 04-18-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Didn't they change the possession to "no limit" there this year?
yes they did
i just reread that in the regs
Old 04-18-2015, 04:42 PM

Looks like a nice bunch
Old 04-19-2015, 07:24 AM
Banned

Just saw a flight of Snow Geese flying over the west end of Edmonton!
Old 04-19-2015, 07:41 AM

Default As long as it doesn't Rain

Diapers work great .......Tough and flap in the wind ...

Let me qualify that .......I mean new Diapers only

The other kind don't flap so good

I have shot plenty of fall snows over 250 shells
Haven't shot any springs here yet .....?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:05 AM

They make great sausages
Old 04-19-2015, 12:16 PM

Just smoked them this morning. Great couple days. 😊
Just travelling back
Old 04-19-2015, 02:16 PM

You da man. Only one given us updates!!!

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 04-19-2015, 02:51 PM

One big pile of dead birds Keith!!! Great pics and u did awesome
Old 04-19-2015, 06:20 PM

Just came back from Kindersley area. There was a decent flock near Smiley, and couple of smaller ones over towards Marengo/ Loverna on Thurs/Fri, but, that was about it, that I saw, maybe 200,000 altogether. And they have all moved on now by the look of it. I went up to Luseland, over to Kerrobert yesterday on the back roads, not much to see except Sandhills, few small speck flocks with 20-30 token snows with them. Thousands of Sandhills though, more of them than snows or specks.
Biggest bunch I saw was just out of Kerrobert, only maybe 3-4000 birds, on 3 fields. Partners covered a lot of ground last nite, couldn't spot a decent enough flock to set up on for this A.M. We covered a lot of ground yesterday.
Seems to have been on the tail of the first push, and the second one hasn't got there yet.
We had some fun on Friday with doing a traffic shoot, bluebird day, no wind at all. Tried again Sat, birds didn't come that far north against that wind, the few we got on Sat worked nice though. Got out, dog worked good, got the new gun blooded, that's all a guy can ask for.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Just came back from Kindersley area. There was a decent flock near Smiley, and couple of smaller ones over towards Marengo/ Loverna on Thurs/Fri, but, that was about it, that I saw, maybe 200,000 altogether. And they have all moved on now by the look of it. I went up to Luseland, over to Kerrobert yesterday on the back roads, not much to see except Sandhills, few small speck flocks with 20-30 token snows with them. Thousands of Sandhills though, more of them than snows or specks.
Biggest bunch I saw was just out of Kerrobert, only maybe 3-4000 birds, on 3 fields. Partners covered a lot of ground last nite, couldn't spot a decent enough flock to set up on for this A.M. We covered a lot of ground yesterday.
Seems to have been on the tail of the first push, and the second one hasn't got there yet.
We had some fun on Friday with doing a traffic shoot, bluebird day, no wind at all. Tried again Sat, birds didn't come that far north against that wind, the few we got on Sat worked nice though. Got out, dog worked good, got the new gun blooded, that's all a guy can ask for.
Surprised to hear yo couldn't find some good shoots around Kerrobert. I had a friend of mine hunt a field with 12K + and they ended up smacking them pretty good. They also had a few smaller shoots with about 5-7K. tough with the bluebird days.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:25 PM

Here r a few pics. Wish others would post some up. Frock this is a pain posting off phone lol. Had a great time with some awesome guys. Lots of adventures and we did ok 😊. Been an awesome spring already. Little tougher than fall shooting but worth the effort lol. This 3 am stuff and shooting before 6 for the birds 😛

Quote:
Surprised to hear yo couldn't find some good shoots around Kerrobert. I had a friend of mine hunt a field with 12K + and they ended up smacking them pretty good. They also had a few smaller shoots with about 5-7K. tough with the bluebird days.

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 04-20-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:03 PM

Default A few

Just a few pictures from the last 4 weeks

Old 04-20-2015, 10:04 PM

GREAT pictures fowler!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:09 PM

Awesome captures Daryl. Sweet!!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:14 PM

nice pics Daryl!! Was that bird 12 years old with the band? Anyone know how old they get?
Old 04-20-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
nice pics Daryl!! Was that bird 12 years old with the band? Anyone know how old they get?
Here's the data from those 2 bands

INFORMATION FROM OUR FILES:
Species: Lesser Snow Goose
Date banded: 08/02/1999
Banding Location: 17 NW RICHARD I, NORTHWEST TERRITORIES, CANADA
Sex: MALE

Date banded: 08/05/2005
Banding Location: 91KM SSE BARROW, ALASKA, USA
Sex: FEMALE
Old 04-20-2015, 10:47 PM

Great Pictures Daryl and Keith. Those birds with the bands have run the gauntlet a few times lol
Old 04-20-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowler View Post
Here's the data from those 2 bands

Date banded: 08/02/1999
Banding Location: 17 NW RICHARD I, NORTHWEST TERRITORIES, CANADA
Sex: MALE

Date banded: 08/05/2005
Banding Location: 91KM SSE BARROW, ALASKA, USA
Sex: FEMALE
Awesome!! a had a buddy tell me the other day that his friend shot one that was 12 years old and worn like the one you posted. I shot a couple red head ducks that had a band worn so bad it was almost worn through and I couldn't read most of the numbers. I always wanted to know how old they were but had no way of getting the numbers off the band
Old 04-21-2015, 12:16 AM

I glassed about every 3-4 miles heading north from Smiley, and on the way back south from Kerrobert, could be they were flying low against the wind ( it was a very stiff wind on Sat) in the distance, and maybe I couldn't see them past the horizon. I was surprised ,too. It was really weird for that area, I didn't go north or west of Luseland, still lots of scattered birds on the fields at noon, it was just strange. Birds were in low spots on the fields, nothing on any of the big ponds or reservoirs except ducks, the odd swans.
That may be the first time, I have not come up with a shoot on snows. The Sask res we had spotting, didn't even call us on Sat nite.
I believe the oldest recovered snow band is something like 23-26 yrs old, there are quite a few in the 20's, lots in the late teens. Don't even want to think about the carnage those birds must have seen in their travels.

Some good pics there boys. Birds didn't come as early as yours on Fri, sun was up. Sat AM we watched at least double the nbr of birds you had on the horizon in that one shot, heading east and staying wayy south of us.
These pics are all Thurs/Fri
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sask spring 2015 008.jpg (85.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Sask spring 2015 012.jpg (33.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Sask spring 2015 024.jpg (47.9 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by 32-40win; 04-21-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:41 AM
Banned

WOW Keith, that is one pile of birds, that must have been a blast! Congrats on that sir!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:17 AM
Banned

Default snows

Awesome pics guys!