Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-15-2015, 09:40 AM

Default How important is hunting season to you!?

Just found of from a buddy that he can't make hunting camp this October because his bro's wedding is scheduled then. Got me thinking. Have any of you deliberately booked something important around hunting season? wedding, fam reunion, bike trip or what have you.

The calendar in our kitchen is highlighted from September 1st to December 1st. The trophy wife knows not to schedule me for anything in the calendar without consulting me. And it better be a important situation too! Obviously dinners here and there are a no biggie but I mean a 1,2,3 or worse 4 day'r mini vaca or outing! We booked our wedding in August even though my wife really wanted September.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:25 AM

Its like christmas everyday. I find myself more and more moving things around to fit in some hunting. I recall about 6 occasions last season that i pulled "oh i am hunting that day". Its a good feeling when that works out
Old 04-15-2015, 10:30 AM

I send the wife and kids to visit the inlaws during the whitetail rut. Works out good for both of us.lol.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:58 AM

I dont schedule ANYTHING in hunting season. Having family members birthdays during hunting season is bad enough, but there is NO WAY i would do a weekend trip or even loose a weekend over something that does not HAVE to be done during season.
The most depressing day of the year is Nov 30
I start counting down days from Dec 1
Old 04-15-2015, 12:07 PM

Its everything.
I love hunting season.
Try to spend as much time as I can hunting.
In time I plan on taking all of hunting season off to hunt.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 PM

First things my kids learned about hunting....don't schedule weddings, or births or anything else during hunting season. Mid August to end of November ranks as hunting season.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 PM

As a young man i used to intentionaly only work crap jobs so i could quit every fall to go hunting for 4-6 weeks and a couple times for extended spring bear.
Ahhhhh the good old days
These days if someones not in the hospital im going if im booked to do so.
Some people do not understand but generaly they are the same people who have had no passion for anything little own for something since there earliest memories.

Last edited by BANG; 04-15-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:21 PM

It's only a few days...good food, hot (distant)relatives, booze is flowing, be a nice break from hunting in the fall! Think of it like recharging your batteries for next weekend...
Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 PM
Banned

i missed the girlfriend best friend getting married.

schedule in hunting season and i will show up if im not hunting.

i relax a little in october but september and november are off limits

and oh ya i'm on a sheep hunt for when my sister is due to give birth
Old 04-15-2015, 01:04 PM

I have only gone on a holiday once during hunting season, only because I was the best man at a friends wedding in Mexico. Completely ruined my Mule deer draw as it was in the heart of the rut. other than that the only plans are hunting when I am not working during hunting season.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:42 PM

I send the wife and kids to the in-laws for 6 weeks a year so I can hunt. Kids are not in school yet so works well. I plan my whole year around the fall
Old 04-15-2015, 01:58 PM

In Malta they had ban on hunting migratory birds as a result of pressure from neighbouring European countries threatening economic sactions. This was instigated by the fact Malta had poor game management laws and no enforcement. Consiquently migrating birds from Northern Europe on thier way to Africa where being decimated by the Maltese as Malta is a major resting piont for these birds on thier migration routes. The piont is the suicide rate among hunters had increased during this period. So hunting is in a lot of people's blood and is more than just a hobby. Not that suicide among hunters would upset the antis any. I as well as my hunting buddies are planning our fall hunting trip months before the season. It's vital to who I am.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:58 PM

I find the older I get the less important hunting season becomes, there was a time I lived and breathed hunting but not so much anymore.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:16 PM

Less important with each passing year.....I'm hunting for different reasons now.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
I find the older I get the less important hunting season becomes, there was a time I lived and breathed hunting but not so much anymore.
+1
Old 04-15-2015, 03:17 PM

Still pretty important to me, I still use most of my vacation time in hunting season.
I had a supervisor once comment that you'll miss out on part of some major work because of my vacation timing. My reply was that if he could get hunting season moved to accommodate the major jobs, it would then make me available.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Banned

Not as important as it used to be, but still important enough to let my woman know that during hunting season, I come and go as I please.

Still need my wilderness fix every year as life without that is way to civilized for my liking.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
^^^^^
This for now.

If my daughter takes an interest in hunting like she has in fishing that may change. But until then this is it.

BW
Old 04-15-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
That's me now. I spend most of my time outdoors so I get my outdoor fix all the time just doesn't need to be hunting anymore. More important things than hunting now a days..kids, kids activities, other hobbies. Still get out lots but I won't miss important things or my kids stuff over hunting. Hopefully the girls come hunting this year and we can enjoy some time together if not we will enjoy their activities.

S
Old 04-15-2015, 04:26 PM

Very important to me, not so much for the actual hunting, which I love but because it is the one time of year all of my best friends make time for each other. We all have busy lives with work and family commitments that those few days that we all can make it out to hunt camp to hang out and relax and be in nature mean a lot too me. I also really enjoy getting out with my sons and getting away from electronics and sports schedules and things like that it helps us reconnect and they are not getting any younger, soon they will be too cool to hang out with me so I am enjoying it while I can.

We don't really fish or camp or stuff like that so hunting is my excuse to get out into the bush and recharge my soul.

My sister made the mistake of trying to plan a family mud run on the same weekend I want to go elk hunt, sorry sis another time!
Old 04-15-2015, 04:34 PM

Still very important to me.
I never book anything from mid Sept onward, for a month or 2 anyways.
I like having family with me, or friends with young kids when I'm at the cabin, but I still go up there even solo.
I just have to keep certain things in mind when I'm solo.

TBark
Old 04-15-2015, 05:15 PM

Hunting season is a critical part of my year that I always make room for. Since leaving home as a young man I've never had to buy meat from a store. I've provided meat for myself and others for the whole year through hunting. Admittedly some years had a few more vegetarian nights in the meal plan that others but I've never got without. Because of how I choose to feed myself I make time for hunting season out of necessity, and because I love to bowhunt.

I've rescheduled things, taken time off work or school, missed events, came home to an empty bed a few times, and so on through the years but I make time for the really important things. You only get one chance to see a baby born or say goodbye at a funeral.

Hunting season is a pivotal part of my year and keeps me motivated in my physical training and preparations all year. I wouldn't give it up for anything.

People in SUVs, driving through their sprawling suburbs, will end the lives of more animals than a man with a bow ever could.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:15 PM

My entire life revolves around hunting. In fact, if a friend is describing me to someone who doesn't know me, it's guaranteed the words "hunter" or "obsessed with hunting" will come up. Wedding, funeral, party, vacation, NOT gonna happen...not in hunting season. People don't even ask anymore.

This is how I explain it:

A guy who likes hunting gets a little annoyed if he has to miss part of the season to witness his child being born.

A hunter knows what months not to get his wife pregnant.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:45 PM

With the exception of a few short yrs when I was getting my start and couldn't afford the time off I've hunted every year since I was a kid.

Went a few years without pulling the trigger on an animal on purpose. I still went out with a buddy every one of those years and relished in his success.

Now that I've more time I really enjoy it. I take out newbies at every opportunity. I find more enjoyment from seeing new hunters and family members succeed than I likely ever do hunting. Never been a trophy hunter, more like success was expected of myself as it filled the freezer.

Mostly I just like being out. At 56 I'm realizing the number of, "hard work" hunts I have left can start to be counted. That just makes me more thankful for every opportunity I have.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:56 PM

People I USED to hunt with have had things like an annual trade show come up and ditched me. I don't hunt with them any more, if I commit to a trip I am committed so I'm going. But I only get out 10 days a year or so.

Last edited by lyallpeder; 04-15-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:01 PM

Very important to me. Already gaining new land permissions... hanging trailcams cutting shooting lanes
Old 04-15-2015, 08:01 PM

Default How important is hunting season to you!?

Hunting is all year round for me. Lots of places to hunt in the world. Turkey and bear going on now. Had a 3 day hunt in Texas last month that ended the day before my wedding. Surprised she went through with it. No better way to spend time with family and friends than traveling around hunting.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:13 PM

Default Hunting

From high school until I was in my mid thirties I always tried to
Make sure that I was unemployed during November! In fact, until I was 36 I had worked a grand total of 18 shifts during November in my life! I'm not quite as hard cored anymore, what with my family requiring me to be more fiscally responsible! I still take a week off every sept, oct and November, refuse any weekend work and try to make every weekend a long one. I guess I would have to say that it's still pretty important!
Old 04-15-2015, 08:27 PM

I've realized some good planning makes for a better season.
  • Marked off time on calendar for camp setup, and different weeks of hunting.
    Doing some advanced prep at work to help accommodate this.
    Plan days for specific area hunts, etc.
    Stay in shape to make it more fun.

Really looking forward to the fall.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:27 PM

My wife has planned our last three kids births so its not in hunting season. She was kinda p@!!÷= after she had to phone and let me know she was in labour. Dang geese were just starting to decoy nice lol.