Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-15-2015, 10:55 AM

Default Crown/ Public land near For Sask

Hello all, just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction here. I am looking for some public land that I can go practice shooting my bow on, preferably open space out to 80 yards. Someone recommended Bruderheim natural area but after research target practice is prohibited there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-15-2015, 11:39 AM

I might be wrong but I think target practice is prohibited only if you shoot guns but not a bow. Double check on that.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitearcher View Post
Hello all, just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction here. I am looking for some public land that I can go practice shooting my bow on, preferably open space out to 80 yards. Someone recommended Bruderheim natural area but after research target practice is prohibited there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ive had the same problem I live in Morinville.
Got caught by a peace officer shooting at Cardiff Park.
He said that he had been after me for years.
I am lucky in the fact my cousin has married a family with a lot of land outside Morinville.
I think your best best would be to get a landowners map just like hunting and try to get permission that way. If your lucky you might just find land to hunt on at the same time.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:08 PM

awesome thanks for the advice, anyone know where to get the landowner maps from in fort sask?
Old 04-15-2015, 12:17 PM

You could pay the 160 bucks to join the Sherwood Park Archery Club. I've been going out every day since I got my bow last week and haven't seen a person yet. They have a 90M range and it'd be approximately 20 min from Ft. Sk straight down 21.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitearcher View Post
awesome thanks for the advice, anyone know where to get the landowner maps from in fort sask?
Landowner maps of Strathcona County are sold at the county office in Sherwood Park. Sturgeon County maps are sold at the county office in Mornville.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:51 PM

Strathcona County landowner maps are also sold at the Heartland firehall just north of Josephburg on Highway 15.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlizzy View Post
Ive had the same problem I live in Morinville.
Got caught by a peace officer shooting at Cardiff Park.
He said that he had been after me for years.
I am lucky in the fact my cousin has married a family with a lot of land outside Morinville.
I think your best best would be to get a landowners map just like hunting and try to get permission that way. If your lucky you might just find land to hunt on at the same time.
Did you get penalized at all or just a warning?
Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 PM

You can shoot in Northwest Bruderhiem Natural area. There is essentially two natural areas, one is east and one is west of sec hwy 830. The area east has been restricted to atv use only. The area west has been allowed shooting/hunting. I have called and spoken to the county and there is shooting, and hunting allowed. It's best to call and let them know when you will be out there, and what you will be shooting. There is a 100y field next to a water disposal site, right passed the new power lines, with a 6-8' high back drop. There is a building here also, they ask that you please just leave well enough alone and stay clear of the facility.

Take RR 211 North from Hwy 15, to TWP 563A, turn west about 1 km to your first actual left hand turn. Go left, under the new power lines and the range you can shoot at is on your left.

Oilfield and pipeline workers and activity can be hit or miss, so be mindful of those working. I was just there last week and seen a few trucks, but had no issues.

http://www.albertaparks.ca/northwest-of-bruderheim.aspx

See ^ for contact info and further details. Like I said, I've shot here lots. Clean up after yourselves and be mindful of others using the area, especially the guys and gals working there.

DeadEye
Old 04-15-2015, 11:31 PM

Talked to an rcmp officer last fall and he said nobody should be shooting in there. Also a lot of trespassing/people shooting on private land they didn't know was private so a county map is good to have.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:13 PM

tried out that spot you spoke of deadeye, been there a few times since last week when i've had a bit of free time, its a great spot, a few of the oil and gas guys stopped by for a chat and to watch me shoot my bow for a bit, they didn't seem to have any issues with it, not that they would know if it was allowed or not, but I can easily get out to 80 yards there and that's what I was looking for. Thanks!!!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
Did you get penalized at all or just a warning?
He was a nice guy and lucky for me he liked to shoot guns in his spare time.
So just a warning.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:07 PM

A bow is not a firearm. Shoot in your back yard, any Natural Area or crown land.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroPhi View Post
A bow is not a firearm. Shoot in your back yard, any Natural Area or crown land.
Most cities and towns have bylaws that prohibit using a bow in your back yard as well.

LC
Old 05-13-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Most cities and towns have bylaws that prohibit using a bow in your back yard as well.

LC
Good advise Lefty.

You should see the list of bylaws that most towns have....
Old 05-16-2015, 02:47 PM

hey guys, a buddy and i tried to find this spot today. Got in some major crap with the cops. We were out there for 10 minutes (i think i got off maybe 20 rounds) and they were on us. This could have just been the officer having a bad day, but he told us there was NOWHERE in the area that we were allowed to shoot on, and further no crown land near there that was legal to shoot on. He might have just been trying to keep us from target shooting anyways, but long story short they were not impressed. He said theyve been trying to crack down on people in the area and that the oil companies have been complaining of people vandalizing their property and such. He then went on to give some dirt bikers in the area a stern talking to as well. Im not sure if we were in the exact areas mentioned above, so ill post links of exactly where we were.

http://i.imgur.com/83Er8aU.png
http://imgur.com/83Er8aU,dX8cAD2#1
Old 05-16-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoelteon View Post
hey guys, a buddy and i tried to find this spot today. Got in some major crap with the cops. We were out there for 10 minutes (i think i got off maybe 20 rounds) and they were on us. This could have just been the officer having a bad day, but he told us there was NOWHERE in the area that we were allowed to shoot on, and further no crown land near there that was legal to shoot on. He might have just been trying to keep us from target shooting anyways, but long story short they were not impressed. He said theyve been trying to crack down on people in the area and that the oil companies have been complaining of people vandalizing their property and such. He then went on to give some dirt bikers in the area a stern talking to as well. Im not sure if we were in the exact areas mentioned above, so ill post links of exactly where we were.

http://i.imgur.com/83Er8aU.png
http://imgur.com/83Er8aU,dX8cAD2#1
Yeah even the few private owners left around there are tired of all the target shooters and dirtbikers, the crown area has become a dumping ground as well, sad to see