Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2012, 06:46 AM

Default Construction site on Hiway 16

I started a job on Hiway 16 on Sunday, just east of Maidstone. Traffic is down to one lane, cones are out, narrowing the traffic stream and signs saying 60 when passing workers. You know, the usual stuff.

The RCMP have decided to use this spot yesterday for a radar trap. They were catching people for speeding, seatbelts, and cell phone use.

Catch of the day was an suv doing 134 in a 60.

The lord must love idiots cuz he sure made a lot of them.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I started a job on Hiway 16 on Sunday, just east of Maidstone. Traffic is down to one lane, cones are out, narrowing the traffic stream and signs saying 60 when passing workers. You know, the usual stuff.

The RCMP have decided to use this spot yesterday for a radar trap. They were catching people for speeding, seatbelts, and cell phone use.

Well be careful.

134 in a 60!

What a douche!

There sure are a lot of em out there..I went through an intersection on Manning the other day...90 km per hour....thats 10 faster than the law allows.

Had a guy start to outside pass me in the intersection them complete it as cars were trying to merge.
He must have been going about 120...he was flying.

In a rush to get to the next red light a few hundred yards down the pipe I guess.
It was all I could do not to hit the park break and go tap on his glass.

Too much mud on his plate to call it in.... I need a dash camera.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Speed fines double in construction zones, LOL. Gonna be close to $1000 if not a court apperance and licence suspended by the judge.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Speed fines double in construction zones, LOL. Gonna be close to $1000 if not a court apperance and licence suspended by the judge.
The constable I talked to was saying an $800 fine for the speeding, the vehicle was seized, criminal charges of dangerous driving were to be laid, and when he got his suv back was up to the Hiway Traffic Board. I saw the police give him, his wife, kids, and luggage a ride some where and I dont think she was happy.

I wouldnt mind seeing the radar trap back, cuz there are still speeders.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
fine doubles only when workers are present. in this case they were so i hope buddy gets bent over
Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 PM

After working a few years of road construction I am happy to hear when they set up in those areas....too many lives lost for people going too fast and not paying attention in construction zones.

I don't care who I pee off.....I always slow down to the limit in construction zones.

LC
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
After working a few years of road construction I am happy to hear when they set up in those areas....too many lives lost for people going too fast and not paying attention in construction zones.

I don't care who I pee off.....I always slow down to the limit in construction zones.

LC
i speed everywhere i go, except residential, school, and construction zones. there is no need to speed in these high foot traffic areas.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
The constable I talked to was saying an $800 fine for the speeding, the vehicle was seized, criminal charges of dangerous driving were to be laid, and when he got his suv back was up to the Hiway Traffic Board. I saw the police give him, his wife, kids, and luggage a ride some where and I dont think she was happy.

I wouldnt mind seeing the radar trap back, cuz there are still speeders.
Good for the guy and anyone else speeding in construction zones!!!!!

I worked on the highways doing materials testing and had several very close calls and even seen a few accidents. Worst one was flag person had a vehicle stopped and a 5 ton service truck plowed into the back of the first vehicle (1ton Ford Econoline van). Crumpled up to the front seats, driver had broken nose and arm, his wife is a quadriplegic (they had 5-7 children-one a baby- thank God not in the van then) and the flag person was wiped out and pretty much had their whole insides laying beside them on the pavement - the person lived (and I bet its not a very easy pain-free life now).

I say criminal charges, jail, HUGE FINES and lawsuits for these disrespectable people.

There is always highway workers killed each year b/c of the general publics stupidity.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:14 AM

I agree 100% in the same breath to many Kms of road are all signed off and no workers present so I think some people eventually get numb to the signs like people got numb to the kid who cried wolf in the fairy tale. Here again common sense goes a long way and there is no excuse for speeding where workers are present.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:58 AM

But as long as you take your foot off the gas you should be good, no? Because you had the intent of slowing down.

Sheesh 134 in a 60. Glad they siezed his car, there is absolutely no reason to be going that fast on any of our roads highway or not. I hope they hit him with every reasonable fine, suspension and violation they can get him with.

Now dont think I have the holier than thou attitude, I like DK, also speed where ever I go, eg. 122 on a 110 and 65 in a 60, but school zones, playground zones, residential and contruction zones are ones where I do not tolerate speeding.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 AM

I almost never speed at all any more, although I admit I had a pretty heavy foot when I was younger.
I do admit to often setting the cruise to the "10 over" number.
Construction zones and passing emergency vehicles....I drive slow enough to collect way more middle fingers from other drivers, than I do tickets from LEO's. We should all respect these zones especially!

Have to vent/rant a bit now...

Tuesday driving east on 630 out of Sherwood Park...driving just under 100km/hr...traffic building up behind me...no less than 2 of the cars that finally pass me give me the finger! One small black car passed me doing at least 140 only to hard brake and turn at the NEXT range road!!!
The other guy that gave me the salute was in his 60's and had 3 other people in the car.
This was about 1:30 pm, so not even rush hour.
There was so much anger and hostility in the other drivers I kept checking my speed thinking something was wrong, I was driving just under 100!
When I got to where I was going I actually checked the back of my truck to see if I had something written on it to provoke them, or maybe I was dragging a puppy or baby or something.

I don't speed any more, and drive a bit below (when traffic allows) the limit for 2 reasons...
:save on fuel !!!!
:I'm in no hurry, and time has tought me that speeding rareley gets you there early enough to make much of a difference anyway.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 AM

hh,
you can drive on the road with me any time.
Too many ppl in too much of a hurry.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post

Tuesday driving east on 630 out of Sherwood Park...driving just under 100km/hr...traffic building up behind me...I don't speed any more, and drive a bit below.
Trust me,you ARE someone else's rant of the day also!!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
hh,
you can drive on the road with me any time.
Too many ppl in too much of a hurry.
My cruise set to 109km/hr is NOT a big and fast hurry.
I beg of you Alberta drivers with the above mentality of doing under speed limit, PLEASE GO at
l-e-a-s-t
100km/hr if roadway permits it's safe(ice/weather) !!!!!!!!
You going 90km/hr in a 100km zone on a sunny dry day is very disturbing!

Last edited by tri777; 10-11-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM

I will admit that I, too, tend to speed miost places (generally within that 10% over range) except school, playground and construction zones. Funny though, how we as individuals arbitrarily decide which rules are worthy of breaking, and then condemn those who break the rules that we decided were inviolate, when really we're all guilty.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I almost never speed at all any more, although I admit I had a pretty heavy foot when I was younger.
I do admit to often setting the cruise to the "10 over" number.
Construction zones and passing emergency vehicles....I drive slow enough to collect way more middle fingers from other drivers, than I do tickets from LEO's. We should all respect these zones especially!

Tuesday driving east on 630 out of Sherwood Park...driving just under 100km/hr...traffic building up behind me...no less than 2 of the cars that finally pass me give me the finger! One small black car passed me doing at least 140 only to hard brake and turn at the NEXT range road!!!
The other guy that gave me the salute was in his 60's and had 3 other people in the car.
This was about 1:30 pm, so not even rush hour.
There was so much anger and hostility in the other drivers I kept checking my speed thinking something was wrong, I was driving just under 100!
When I got to where I was going I actually checked the back of my truck to see if I had something written on it to provoke them, or maybe I was dragging a puppy or baby or something.

I don't speed any more, and drive a bit below (when traffic allows) the limit for 2 reasons...
:save on fuel !!!!
:I'm in no hurry, and time has tought me that speeding rareley gets you there early enough to make much of a difference anyway.
you checked the back of your car for something that could have been provoking other drivers? hahahahaha!! right I bet you did..

don't drive in such a way that traffic builds up behind you... it's unsafe for everyone involved. I would hate to have EVERYONE pass me.. passing is one of the most unsafe things people do on the road...
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
I agree 100% in the same breath to many Kms of road are all signed off and no workers present so I think some people eventually get numb to the signs like people got numb to the kid who cried wolf in the fairy tale. Here again common sense goes a long way and there is no excuse for speeding where workers are present.
I agree. It makes it hard to respect construction zone limits when the only way you can tell there is "construction" taking place is from the limit sign.
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 AM

I also think if the signs are up and no workers are working there SHOULD
be double fines for such,
Gotta play both ways for the double fine thing if you want the day off yet have drivers continue wasting there time being safe for nobody present,someone should be accountable for not taking the 15mins to cover the signs up,and this happens a lot in my hwy experiences!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
you checked the back of your car for something that could have been provoking other drivers? hahahahaha!! right I bet you did..

don't drive in such a way that traffic builds up behind you... it's unsafe for everyone involved. I would hate to have EVERYONE pass me.. passing is one of the most unsafe things people do on the road...
Good grief, I didn't "literally" check for anything that was annoying them. but after you get the 2nd middle finger in 5 minutes you have to wonder.
And I wasn't driving that slow, just a few km's under the speed limit.
You want to pass me at 130- 140 in a 100 zone, fine...just no need to go all road rage, that I could see anyway.
I could see you're point if I was driving 70 or 80 in that zone, but just under the speed limit ? Then I need to speed up to accommodate impatient people behind me?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:57 AM

I am finding I am preferring the side roads to go to Lloydminster lately, the speed limit is 80, so most of course do 135, but at 80 my new trucks gets 34.5 mpg, and I get to see the Police filling quotas.

I drive the speed limit, I use it UNLESS I am on a call, then I drive according to conditions and urgency.

Trouble is most guys speeding absolutely believe the world will stop spinning unless they get where they are going immediately, and anyone slowing down their Timmies run for the boss is putting the free world in danger.

I would love to sell, move to a small Hawaiian island with only bikes and beaches.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grains View Post
I will admit that I, too, tend to speed miost places .
I don't speed in Moist places
I like to take my time and enjoy the view!

Back to the topic, what it is it?
Oh ya.
Ppl who feel the need to pass me doing 100 in 80 km speed zones, particulary on country range roads. No, I won't let you pass me. Get in line.
Drivers who go over the stop line at a light, particulary in a double turn lane, the inside lane will have an X so left turning traffic (trucks and trailers) have room to make the turn w/o taking out your front bumper.
If you have failed to notice the X, go back to drivers school,get an eye test or get off the road and take a bus.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
I don't speed in Moist places
Drivers who go over the stop line at a light..If you have failed to notice the X, go back to drivers school,get an eye test or get off the road and take a bus.
Those are usually the ones whom did'nt time the yellow light
correctly and dam near went though the intersection on the red.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 AM

If I slow somebody down they probably deserve it especially in parking lots.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
X2...I do too..I worked as a flagperson on a bridge crew & had some close calls as well..

Just because the posted limit is 60 doesn't mean that you can't go slower...when someone goes past you at what is supposedly the speed limit, it seems much much faster...Slowing down saves lives!!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Good grief, I didn't "literally" check for anything that was annoying them. but after you get the 2nd middle finger in 5 minutes you have to wonder.
And I wasn't driving that slow, just a few km's under the speed limit.
You want to pass me at 130- 140 in a 100 zone, fine...just no need to go all road rage, that I could see anyway.
I could see you're point if I was driving 70 or 80 in that zone, but just under the speed limit ? Then I need to speed up to accommodate impatient people behind me?
Maybe people went all "road rage" because they had to slow down from their NORMAL highway speed of 110 to 95 and then got to sit in a nice line on top of it!

If you are enraging that many people, maybe you are the one doing something wrong or dangerous? When traffic is moving at the same speed, it is the safest. Having people line up behind you and pass when the get the chance is more dangerous than going with the flow. Just think about the risks that people take when they pass.. add to that the fact that they are experiencing some "road rage" from following a slower driver and it makes for a dangerous situation.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
add to that the fact that they are experiencing some "road rage" from following a slower driver and it makes for a dangerous situation.
For sure!!
Please becareful out there you folks who stubbornly want to ride along slowly,the price for a just released enraged mental defective might bare a heavy toll on the side of the road. I lived through such an episode when i was around 8 as two of the scariest hippies pulled along side of our slow 90 or so km/hr paced t-bird. They screamed obcenities, yelled & had a fits of red faced rage,lasted no more than 20seconds but i'll never forget that encounter..just go with the freaking flow and get out of any possibilities or excuses of an all to easy to inflict confrontation! Sure you may be trying to save gas,but what about losing your day(s)?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM

on the highway+10-15km/h is legit any more and your asking for a ticket(and way ****itier gas kilometerage IMHO)... posted speed limit in construction zones,or less, i dont like driving by ppl on the road regardless of speed... and those people that pass you and then pull right in front to only a car length away can all FOAD... and then to turn after passing someone is very illogical and probably the cause of many fist fights throughout the world... makes you wonder what a semi driver has to deal with... THX Ben
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
For sure!!
Please becareful out there you folks who stubbornly want to ride along slowly,the price for a just released enraged mental defective might bare a heavy toll on the side of the road. I lived through such an episode when i was around 8 as two of the scariest hippies pulled along side of our slow 90 or so km/hr paced t-bird. They screamed obcenities, yelled & had a fits of red faced rage,lasted no more than 20seconds but i'll never forget that encounter..just go with the freaking flow and get out of any possibilities or excuses of an all to easy to inflict confrontation! Sure you may be trying to save gas,but what about losing your day(s)?
You are going to live in fear for the rest of your life, and break laws because others are, to avoid confrontation? Did the Hippies frighten you so bad that years later you still pee yourself when you see a vw beetle?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-11-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
You are going to live in fear for the rest of your life, and break laws because others are, to avoid confrontation? Did the Hippies frighten you so bad that years later you still pee yourself when you see a vw beetle?

Who says it's years later, poster could only be 9.
Hey, you can imagine some of the VW's I've seen on the trailer right??
Pretty scarry stuff allright.

What's this road rage you all speak of?
Road crews are out there making our roads smoother. Give em a brake!
Besides, some of the flag girls I saw this summer were worth slowing down to talk to. (not hula hoop material but still)
Hey some of us have figured out how much you miss by driving so fast.
I leave 10 minutes earlier on my trips.
Take a hint.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Banned

construction zones, school zones etc...absolutely take it slow through these zones. It just takes a second for someone to step out in front of you. Not uncommon for me to be going 20km/hr in school zones whenever there are cars or things that kids can come springing out from.

Driving slower than the speed limit. Dangerous, and selfish when you have traffic piling up behind you. Coming from Saskatchewan, lots of people out for drives etc checking crops or whatever would be driving under the speed limit. It was common practice for these people to show everyone else some common courtesy and pull over and let them pass. The passer would wave to say thanks and be on his way. No hard feelings.

Giving someone the finger for whatever reason is uncalled for.

Common courtesy is in short supply these days however, whether you're the person giving someone the finger, or the person who gets joy out of aggravating someone to that point.