Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Default 90hp or 60hp etec tiller motor?

I had my 80hp yamaha tiller motor crater on me a few weeks ago and I have been getting quotes and trying to figure out which motor to go with.

My boat was a single console alumacraft that was rated for an 80hp when it was a console but the tiller version of the same boat is rated for a 60hp. My best quote on a brand new motor is for an etec. I can either go to a 60hp and be legal like the original tiller version was or go with a 90hp and be over both the 80hp single console tag that is on my boat and the original tiller rating.

I would go with a 75hp but it is the exact same motor and will actually cost me more then the 90hp would so there is no point in doing that. I might as well get the 90hp and throw some 75hp decals on it.

I think the 60hp will be a few thousand dollars cheaper which is a bonus for me and it will also be easier on gas and weighs pretty much 100lbs less then the 75/90hp version.

I am just not sure if the cheaper cost, lighter weight, and less gas usage is a solid trade off for the extra power from the 90hp. If I go with the 90hp I also won't be able to fish tournaments in the states.

Lets hear what you guys think the best option is. I am hoping to get one and get it rigged onto the boat next weekend.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Banned

How heavy is the boat? I ran a lodge with 20ft alumarines with 60hp 4 stroke tillers... they went about 35mph.. 30 loaded with clients. ...

QUOTE=npauls;2503117]I had my 80hp yamaha tiller motor crater on me a few weeks ago and I have been getting quotes and trying to figure out which motor to go with.

My boat was a single console alumacraft that was rated for an 80hp when it was a console but the tiller version of the same boat is rated for a 60hp. My best quote on a brand new motor is for an etec. I can either go to a 60hp and be legal like the original tiller version was or go with a 90hp and be over both the 80hp single console tag that is on my boat and the original tiller rating.

I would go with a 75hp but it is the exact same motor and will actually cost me more then the 90hp would so there is no point in doing that. I might as well get the 90hp and throw some 75hp decals on it.

I think the 60hp will be a few thousand dollars cheaper which is a bonus for me and it will also be easier on gas and weighs pretty much 100lbs less then the 75/90hp version.

I am just not sure if the cheaper cost, lighter weight, and less gas usage is a solid trade off for the extra power from the 90hp. If I go with the 90hp I also won't be able to fish tournaments in the states.

Lets hear what you guys think the best option is. I am hoping to get one and get it rigged onto the boat next weekend.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-27-2014, 09:26 PM

It is rigged a lot heavier then pretty much any other 16 foot boat out there hahaha.

I carry a ton of gear and run 4 batteries in my boat. 2 for the trolling motors, one for electronics, and one for a starting battery.

I also carry a ton of tackle, gear, and rod combos.

This little boat is pretty much rigged the same as the bigger tourney boats you see.

If I do decide to go with a 60hp motor it may open up the option of running a yamaha or mercury or maybe a suzuki if I can find a dealer to get a quote from.

I just want to make sure I can get on plane easily and have a decent top end speed. I was getting about 35mph out of the yamaha 80hp that I blew up but it was also the wrong sized leg for my boat so I am hoping with a 60hp and hydrofoil I can get good planing times as well as a decent top end speed of around 32-35mph.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Banned

I bought 10Yamaha f60s tiller with the rpm up and down on tiller from shipwreck marine. .. they had best pricing. I believe name was merv. ... shop in Edmonton and sylvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
It is rigged a lot heavier then pretty much any other 16 foot boat out there hahaha.

I carry a ton of gear and run 4 batteries in my boat. 2 for the trolling motors, one for electronics, and one for a starting battery.

I also carry a ton of tackle, gear, and rod combos.

This little boat is pretty much rigged the same as the bigger tourney boats you see.

If I do decide to go with a 60hp motor it may open up the option of running a yamaha or mercury or maybe a suzuki if I can find a dealer to get a quote from.

I just want to make sure I can get on plane easily and have a decent top end speed. I was getting about 35mph out of the yamaha 80hp that I blew up but it was also the wrong sized leg for my boat so I am hoping with a 60hp and hydrofoil I can get good planing times as well as a decent top end speed of around 32-35mph.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:44 AM

My boat was only rated for a 75 and I put a 90 e-tec on it

It is awesome. The 90 is the Same weight as the 75. No reason to not do it!

My vote is the 90hp Evinrude all the way!! Hole shot is amazing.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:26 AM

Growing up, my dad had a boat with a 90 on it, and it was only rated for a 50 when he bought it. He was still able to insure it, so I don't know how those ratings work, if they are recommended guidelines, or law? He made sure to point it out to the insurance company before he agreed to buy it, and they were fine with it.
I'd get the bigger motor, and like you said, if you're really worried about it, all you gotta do is swap the decals

Last edited by bloopbloob; 07-28-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:51 AM

It is coast guard rated to a certain hp for a reason.

Why risk it especially if you want to fish US tourney.

A few thousand is a bunch and you should also ask yourself will it be worth the extra when I decide to sell. I do not think it will bring you anymore used with a 60 or 90. If it does it certainly will not be anywhere near the money you have to spend now for a new one.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:13 PM

turns out the 60 is only $800 cheaper then the 90hp so i might as well go with the tag rating on my boat and round up to the closest size which is the 90hp.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:23 PM

If you had to choose a 60hp tiller which direction would you go?

Etec is cheapest, has a 5 year warranty, is lightest, and has no service needed for 3 years.

Yammi is middle priced, has 2 year warranty, heaviest motor weight, and needs service every season.

Merc. is most expensive, has 3 year warranty, middle weight, needs service every year, but has the best tiller handle.

I am just not sure which direction to go.I need to choose tonight in hopes of having one of them rigged up to my boat for this coming long weekend so I can enjoy a few days on the water again.

I just don't have a real good feeling about going with the 90hp motor on my boat as much as I love the extra speed and power.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 PM

yammy , didn't even have to think about it. lol. surprised the merc is more money
Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 PM

Yammi.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 AM

While I do have a small yami for a troller I have not had any issues as to service.

Go with the least money, in the end none of them are really going to add that much value when you decide it is time for a new boat.

Etec is a great motor and you can get the Lucas synthetic waayyy cheaper than buying the mfg. oil.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:47 PM

YA-MA-HA ............... go 90 .... that's what I would do.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:04 PM

i ended up ordering a 60hp yammi through river runners in taber.

casey was very patient and is hoping to have it rigged to my boat next wed. evening.

i wanted to keep the boat within the laws so i can fish montana walleye tourneys.

the boat should back troll like a champ in the wind with the digital rpm control on the handle and get up on plane and do decent speeds. this motor is way lighter then the 80hp and depending what happens with performance i may add the hydrofoil to get it up on plane faster.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:03 PM

You should be happy with that.
Give it a serious try before adding a hydrofoil. Let me know how things go.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-29-2014, 10:49 PM

I have a 60 tiller on my crestliner 1600 angler, been a solid motor since i purchased it in 2009. My boat is rigged up fairly heavy and a hydrofoil made a huge difference, sounds like you may have a few pounds on mine and would sugest puting the hydrofoil on from the get go.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:06 PM

I am going to give it a try and see how things go before I add the hydrofoil but I am pretty sure I will be putting the foil on there.

I fish in some nasty weather and the faster I can get on plane and not mess around with the waves the better off I am.

I am pretty sure it will be a good solid motor. I am just a bit worried that it will be a dog out of the hole but there isn't much I can do about that if I want to use the boat in the states for tourneys and stay below the tiller rating on this hull.

I will have to get another prop once I get the motor broken in and figure out where I am running at.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:40 AM

I realize this response is late but will likely serve more as confirmation of your thought process. I like my Etecs but I think you see the most advantage starting with the 150 HP Etec. If I would do it again I would likely not do a 90 HP Etec. As you suggest, the 90 and 75 are effectively the same motor and it seems that the 90 is a bit underwhelming. I think you will be the most happy with the Yammi 60 in that size range and just play with the prop and the foil to get on plane faster.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 AM

Put the hyrovoil on now Nate.

It will bring you to plane waaayyyy faster. I put one on my Crestliner and could not believe the difference especially when you are loaded up with excess weight.