Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 PM

Default rawson

I'm thinking of heading up to rawson tomorrow. Have never been, is the trail easy to find and signed?
Should I pack spinning, fly or both?
Anyone with some recent success willing to share some info?

if anyone wants to split gas im gonna be leaving south calgary around 530
Old 07-30-2014, 12:56 PM

Most everything about Rawson is fairly easy including the fishing which is almost always good to down right amazing! The shallow rocky far end is great for stalking cruising Cutties with a fly rod, small bead heads or small brown woolley buggers really do well and if your lucky enough to catch a Sedge hatch it will look like a hundred people are throwing rocks in the lake with all the fish that are rising. Trail is easy to find and wraps around Upper Kananaskis then a series of switch backs up to the lake...beautiful lake bring a camera!!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:56 PM

Yes, it's easy to find. Park at the Upper K Lake day use area and take the trail that goes around the lake west. There is a signed trail roughly a KM or so from the parking lot that starts heading up.

I've only fly fished up there and I had my best day using olive marabou leaches, but I've had some luck on a variety of flies. If you're able, I really increased my success by packing my belly boat up there. I was having way more luck than the people fishing from shore. There's no reason why spin gear wouldn't work too.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:51 PM

Hike is a bit of a grunt (steady uphill climb for the most part). I think about 350 meter vertical. And you have to cross one one rushing stream on a few large logs as the bridge was washed out. Not too bad, though a bit unnerving for some.