Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-29-2014, 02:27 AM
AO Sponsor

Default 310 LB HALIBUT Caught and Released

Well, what a second day fishing it was for Alpine Archer and blackmamba...hooked into what will easily go down as the largest halibut of Edan's life! His first halibut ever as well, I'll let him tell the story (And his aching back) and talk about his trip if he likes, but they have rebooked for next year for 2 or 3 boats, so it must of been good

He hooked into and landed BY HIMSELF, a 310lb MONSTER halibut...I've seen some biggies but this takes the cake no problem, as it was 82 1/4" long, and at least 4 feet wide. We were able to noose her tail, get her quieted down, gaff through lip and in the boat to remove the hook and get a few pictures as well as accurate measurement....so I hope you all enjoy, I'd go into more detail but it'll be funnier from Alpine Archers' perspective!

Here are the pics of the massive fish! This is the largest halibut I have heard of being caught on the north island ever, pretty excited I was able to be the one to guide to it...especially for a guy like Edan...this group was honestly some of the most fun I've ever had on the water....if they only take two boats, definitely jump at the opportunity to join their group July 26-28, 2015.

ENJOY!

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 07-29-2014, 07:43 PM

First off I have to say that hands down this is the best fishing charter ive ever been on ... Dave and his mom and dad run a top notch out fit and couldnt be more thankful for there hospitality and everything they did for us on this trip. From the lodging to the meals to Daves ability as a guide to put us on fish was absolutely phenomenal. He truely is very passionate about his job and if you ever get the chance to fish with them you will understand what I mean . .

As for the fishing I never in a million years would have thought that we would be releasing 35+ lbs ling cod because they were to small .. hali fishing was just crazy , he put us on a honey hole and after losing a 80- 100 pounder right at the boat we tied into this giant .. while fighting that monster we caught and landed 3 more great halis to bring home with us..Salmon fishing was just as crazy as everything else we fished for and by the 3rd day we were all just spent from catching fish .. in the end we had caught upwards of 250+ fish.

Big thanks goes out to Serengetti for truely a trip of a lifetime and we will see you all again next summer ..

Mamba
Old 07-29-2014, 11:26 PM

INSANE!!!!! That's the best word I can use to describe that trip...We literally kept looking at each other and shaking our heads, saying "this is just wrong!" as we rubbed our sore biceps and forearms, while another double or triple header was in full swing!! Meanwhile, our illustrious guide David is trying to re-arrange fish in the big and overflowing (literally) fish locker so that he can close the lid, shoving fish into other containers, all the while yelling instructions to us "reel, reel, reel!!! Stop stop!! Fish on!! Set the hook John!! Let it back down Joel!!" It was an absolute freaking riot!! I've never seen a group of four guys, literally so tired from reeling in fish, that we were looking for excuses to take a break...Absolutely INSANE!!! Our arms and backs were sore from the battles with monster fish, and our abs were sore from all the joking, ribbing each other, and laughing the entire time.

And then...This leviathan of the deep hammers the bait and starts on her merry way. David hands me the rod, and it was all I could do to hold the darn thing in my already shaking arms. The first 20 mins or so was a stalemate, in fact, she took more line than I managed to reel. It was like having a 747 on the line, that every once in a while decided to taxi down the runway a bit further. This being my first Hali, I'm not sure if that's how a 100lb'er feels, so I don't want to look like a wuss, 50 mins later my lower back is about to explode and my glutes are twitching, drenched in sweat head to toe, this alien space ship slowly appears up to the side of the boat...the five of us just losing our minds!! It was completely spectacular and awe inspiring the size and power of that 310lb hen. She and I were both pretty spent, so the four of us heaved her in for quick measurements, and gently released her back to spawn another day...nice big kicks back to the bottom. Meanwhile the boys were catching our limit of chickens and some bigger ones too...totally ridiculous. This outfit knows what they are doing, beyond belief.

The salmon fishing was also amazing, with 7 nice springs hooked in the first half-hour of the first day!! It just kept going like that. "Fish fish fish!! Set the hook, set the hook set hook!! reel reel reel!! let him go, let him go!! Reel reel reel!!" Finished off with a double header... We have enough fish to feed our families and friends for a year, like kings, and enough smiles and laughter to get us through to next July.

David is an outstanding guide, he had us on fish, all species, all day, every day, running around and yelling at us, and joining in on our constant jokes and laughter. The only breaks we had were when we limited on a species and pulled up gear to rip to another honey hole. I couldn't imagine a better, more hard working and passionate guide, and he learned from the best; David Sr. is simply top shelf, and his wife Heather is a fantastic person and cook, her hunting stories kept us entertained at the dinner table each night amidst much laughter and re-caps of amazing days on the water. I can't even fathom a better operation than what this family has put together. They are truly top shelf, and worth every penny. Hands down.

Can't wait until next year boys!! We will probably fill up the third boat too, as our friends are all champing at the bit to experience that, and I don't blame them one bit!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:09 AM

Sounds like an awesome trip! Can't see the pic for some reason though.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhammer View Post
Sounds like an awesome trip! Can't see the pic for some reason though.
Yeah, where's the pics? I saw them last night but I can't see them now.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:32 PM

Default Need to comment too!

As Alpine Archer's Dad & the old guy on this four man trip....I really knew just how well we had done when the fish processing folks (Hardy Boys) just shook their heads & said they couldn't remember the last time that four guys had brought in as many big fish. I'm an old oil patch businessman & can really appreciate when you run into someone who does everything passionately & meticulously with a positive outcome as the only standard. Young Dave was that guy. I haven't had as much fun (or learned so much) fishing in my 67 years.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:03 PM

Well said Dad! It was so cool watching you catch your first Hali on your birthday, and many more. Also, Joel and Jeff's firsts too. What a riot!

Dave is a spectacular guide, and just a young guy. He knows that ocean like the back of his hand, and just passionate about getting his clients on the fish and landing them.

He moved the pics by accident, will be up again soon!

If you're considering booking a charter next year, seriously consider this outfit...bring your family/friends and make memories that will last a lifetime.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
As Alpine Archer's Dad & the old guy on this four man trip....I really knew just how well we had done when the fish processing folks (Hardy Boys) just shook their heads & said they couldn't remember the last time that four guys had brought in as many big fish. I'm an old oil patch businessman & can really appreciate when you run into someone who does everything passionately & meticulously with a positive outcome as the only standard. Young Dave was that guy. I haven't had as much fun (or learned so much) fishing in my 67 years.
Great to read positive reviews and hear that so much fun was had.
Did you guys flip to see who paid the fish processing bill?
With so many big fish that was probably a few dollars.
That fish plant must be quite the sight during the sport-fishing crunch.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 PM
AO Sponsor

Sorry guys, shuffled my things around on photo bucket here they are again

Old 07-31-2014, 11:06 PM

Ohhhh man everytime I look at these , I still cant believe how big that thing is .. craziness! !!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Banned

WoW:

Thanks for the pictures Jamie.

Psst: Any way to paste "Serengeti Charters" onto the photos for when guys like me send a copy to my buddies.

Of course I will mention Serengeti Charters in my text.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:41 AM

SICK SICK SICK Hali!!!
Congratulations boys!
Nice work David!
Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 PM
AO Sponsor

Bahahaha wrong name again grey. Serengeti is right tho. And I can do that for sure

Old 08-01-2014, 07:54 PM

i woulda ate him
Old 08-02-2014, 12:14 AM

That was a true trophy!!! I was just fortunate to get on that rod, but it was really a full on effort by all, mainly our skipper (the true hero) David, who got us in position, rigged up, said "wait 45 mins or so" then about 35 mins later this freight train hit. Unbelievable, and he had to run to the other rods that were peeling line out as the other halis came in on the bite...one after another...

Inconceivable!! Except that it happened all over again the next day, at a different honey hole of his ...full load of hali in 2hrs, after already limiting on huge ling and snapper first thing, in about an hour. Then off for salmon to cap off the afternoon...another limit!!

Insane fishing. Ridiculous.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:41 PM

Smile Serengeti

How big were your spring salmon? I was fishing in Prince Rupert at the same time as your trip and the springs were pretty well gone but the coho were in great numbers with some running to 15 lbs or so. The halibut fishing was good with a few biggies being released.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Great action on Springs, limited out pretty quick, 18 - 27 lbs was the norm, lost a couple that were likely bigger, one of which peeled out a ton of line before shaking the hook. The other boat landed a 30lb spring. We limited out on them pretty quick. Coho was the same, lots of them too, up to 15lbs or so. Fishing was unreal, will post more pics later...
Old 08-04-2014, 09:44 AM

Sounds like a good place to fish I will book my next trip with you I am not to thrilled about my last fishing trip in prince rupert.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:27 PM

That is a fantastic catch!