Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2014, 12:22 AM
Banned

Default fishing ban on wab?

caught the tail end of a news report tonight about the problems at lake wabumun. They were talking about the pollution in the lake and how algae is becoming a problem. They were blaming it on cottage owners, surrounding farms and roadways all contributing to phosphates in the water. One thing they said could happen is a ban on all fishing.
I was thinking that if it is the # of boats on the water with gas engines, then why just target anglers?
anyone know more about this report on the problems at wab (and many other lakes)? One things for sure, the reporter didn't know much about fishing at wab. she reported that one angler she spoke to was "doing his part" by releasing any fish he caught. sheeeeeesh

Last edited by waterninja; 07-31-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:29 AM

I was there last week and saw no sigh of any algae bloom. I admit it was a dismal day but there was not a lot a boats on the water. What would a ban on fishing do to combat the influx of phosphorus, and the dumping of other chemicals/waste?

Probably nothing, just another reporter spouting off on something they know nothing about.

Dan
Old 07-31-2014, 08:13 AM

Doubt if they could/would ban fishing on the lake.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:25 AM

If the report you were watching was on global news, they were not talking about banning fishing on wab... The report was about how the western grebe has now become a threatened species along with a few fish species like the Athabasca rainbow trout and a sub species of the bull trout along with some others. They were referring to the possibility of banning fishing in waters that contained those species which wabamun is not one of them. the report was at wabamun because that is were extensive research has been done on the trumpeter swan which is no longer listed as threatened (good news).
Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 AM

I will also say that eutrification is a major problem in many of these lakes in the parkland and yes the algae is definitely bad.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 AM

eutrophication* spelling
Old 07-31-2014, 09:36 AM

Wabamun is way better then a lot of other lakes in the area, not sure why they would be worried about it... Whatever you saw was just some reporter trying to make up a story, must have been a slow day...
Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADH View Post
If the report you were watching was on global news, they were not talking about banning fishing on wab... The report was about how the western grebe has now become a threatened species along with a few fish species like the Athabasca rainbow trout and a sub species of the bull trout along with some others. They were referring to the possibility of banning fishing in waters that contained those species which wabamun is not one of them. the report was at wabamun because that is were extensive research has been done on the trumpeter swan which is no longer listed as threatened (good news).
Seen the same report pictures were from wab few years back before swan made come back.
Nothing about a fishing ban at wab. Was a good story just a little incomplete.

Mack
Old 07-31-2014, 10:33 AM

Seen the report on Ctv. Seemed like the concern was the Grebe, then trout, then algae yet they use Wabamum as an example lake. They talk about fishing bans relating to streams yet picture a top class lake like Wabamum and it don't even have trout. I shook my head that they would use that lake in a story about Grebe's, fish bans and algae. That story could have been presented a whole lot better.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:02 AM

I would offer that the "pollution" produced by fishing boats is relatively small when compared to recreational boat use like skiing and frolicking.

I doubt they could/would eliminate boat traffic as all the home-owners on the lake would suffer a significant loss of property value associated with limiting boat traffic and would be entitled to compensation.

I doubt there is any validity to this story.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I would offer that the "pollution" produced by fishing boats is relatively small when compared to recreational boat use like skiing and frolicking.

I doubt they could/would eliminate boat traffic as all the home-owners on the lake would suffer a significant loss of property value associated with limiting boat traffic and would be entitled to compensation.

I doubt there is any validity to this story.
I would argue that the major contributor to the "pollution" in neither boaters or weekend cabin enthusiasts but rather agriculture and industry. On another note the story was supposed to be about the birds mostly but they must have had too small of a budget to get new footage cause most of the birds they were showing were loons and mallards, not grebes and swans...