Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-08-2024, 01:54 PM

Default Pheasant question

Hello!

This year, my goal is to expose to English Pointer to pheasants. We have hunted grouse and chukar so far, it's his second season. Very excited.
I am planning on focussing on areas south of Lethbridge since, I have been told, there is a chance to find wild pheasants as well.
Question: Which month is usually best? Or are there even months that are preferable to others?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 05-08-2024, 03:07 PM

October is always my favourite for pheasants, wild birds can be found anywhere in the southern part of the province, South of Lethbridge for sure had wild birds but I’ve seen wild birds from Calgary east to Saskatchewan and the whole way south.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:19 PM

Wild pheasants everywhere...we have good pockets of them north of edmonton up to barrhead...with the way the weather is turning their healthy range is expanding northwards...I saw hen by the Kinsella RR tracks this fall and glassed a few along the river edges near Wainwright...hit the big Coulees in the south that have cover
Old 05-08-2024, 03:19 PM

I usually get down to the Taber area a few times a season to chase and I mean chase some wild birds. The season normally runs Oct 15 to Dec 1 in that region. Definitely need a good dog