Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2018, 05:16 PM

Default Pro-Comp A/T and M/T Tires

Tires are getting low on the truck, and the time has come to start thinking about replacing them wholesale, wheels and all. 4Wheel Parts in Calgary has some good competitively priced wheel/tire packages, and I like the look of the Pro Comp AT and MT tires. Plus they're a bit more affordable than the standard BFG/Duratracs everyone seems to be running these days, which is a bonus.

Anyone have experience running Pro-Comps on their rigs?? If so would you recommend them? How are they for noise, wear, durability, grip on and off road?
Old 06-06-2018, 05:31 PM

Not a huge fan - hard to source when a spare is required

They run a bit noisy and often wear funny for the price I'd recommend the Toyo Open Country or the KO2/Duratrac
Old 06-06-2018, 07:16 PM

Default Toyo’s 👍 Procomp 👎

I second the Toyo’s. Procomp mud terrains are noisy and yes they do wear funny. I know this from having to toss a set which still had decent tread. 70,000 on the Toyo’s now and still looking good.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:29 PM

Thanks fellas. I'm running Toyo Open Country A/T's now, and no complaints. I don't think they carry em at 4WP. The Pro Comps have a very similar tread design to the Toyo, which is what attracted me to them in the first place. They do have Duratrads and KO2s though...
Old 06-06-2018, 09:21 PM

Really like the KO2's. Would buy them again.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:22 PM
Banned

The type of tire that you need depends on what type of driving that you'll be doing. I do a lot of off road driving in deep snow during the winter but very little mud bogging in the summer so I need an aggressive tread for the winter and a quieter, fuel efficient one for the summer. I just bought a set of DuraTrac tires from 4 Wheel Parts on Monday because they best suit the type of driving that I do. If you are doing some serious off road mud bogging then a bigger, more aggressive tire might suit your needs better.

EDIT.......I don't think that the ProComp AT and MT tires are comparable to DuraTrac's. Maybe the KO2's, I'm not sure, but generally speaking the more aggressive the tire the more that you give up on pavement with your ride and noise from the tires......maybe even fuel economy although I think that may have more to do with the size of the tire.

EDIT......Yes, they sell Toyo tires at 4WP.

Last edited by HunterDave; 06-06-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:47 PM

Put Duratracs on a year ago, after Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Nitto's were good, but Duratracs are great.
Best all around A/T I've ever had. Mostly pavement driving.
And great price at CTire regularly.
Wear is awesome when rotated properly.

I won't even look at another tire as long as Duratracs are available.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:43 AM

I had a set of pro comp mud terrains years ago, maybe 12 or 15 years ago.

Anyways, the lugs literally tore off in chunks after some light Rock crawling/mud bogging....

Never seen anything like it since, but I've been running duratracs for the last 8 or 10 years, so....
Old 06-07-2018, 06:07 AM

Look up Muteki (probably spelt that wrong haha) trail hogs, same tread pattern as duratracs and may more affordable. My brother is running them on his truck, he loves them, he replaced duratracs with them. Kal Tire sources Muteki.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:38 AM

Why not give tirebob a call @ Urban Expressions in Calgary 403 769 1771. Hes a sponsor on this forum. Good to support sponsors.
He took the time to answer some questions for me once even though he wouldnt benefit financially from it as im to far north.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:33 AM
AO Sponsor

I have done quite a few Pro-Comps over the years before distribution went to crap and they are a bit hit or miss. Their build consistency seems to vary so we would find that we were having to order replacements for out of round or thumpers etc a little more often than one considers normal. The rubber compounding in them is not quite as refined compared to your more major label tires these days as well, so they seem to get more affected by temperature drops and the blocks seem to firm up faster (ice traction reduction). That said, there were guys who loyally used them and loved them.

Depending on the size you are looking for, there may be some better major label stuff that competes in price and provide a bit more tire for your dollar, but really everybody's specific needs vary so you just need to mine through the options and their specific strengths and weaknesses (all tires have them) and buy what best suits you. Feel free to PM me if you want to try and narrow it down...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-07-2018, 12:23 PM

Dick Cepek fun country is what I have been running for the past 5 years on my 1 tons for work. Theyre a more aggressive all terrain. Got between 75 and 95000km on each set.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:15 PM

I have been running muteki trail hogs as well but the kaltire in at athabasca said they dont carry them anymore. Awsome for the snow and ice.