Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2019, 08:46 PM

Default WMU borders

I have tried to contact a conservation officer to get clarification but haven't had any luck. I asked in Canmore and they said the CO's don't have office hours and they don't take walk-in questions in Cochrane. I have to go into Calgary tomorrow where you can walk into the F&W office but I thought it would be better to talk the the CO's dealing with the WMU's you hunt. A lot of the zones around here are pretty chopped up with Provincial Parks, Day Use, Wildland, Crownland, National Park ect.

I was out today and I can't tell looking at the WMU map if the cut line on which the border falls is open or not. That green line runs right down the cut line, but is the cutline out or in? How does one know?

https://i.imgur.com/zU288fi.png

Last edited by Prairiekid; 10-21-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:16 AM

Generally there is a 180 meter no hunting rule that is enforced around no hunting areas. Which would essentially close that cutline down.

I would check the rules out for that wmu that you are hunting.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:53 AM

Thanks. I have never heard about before. I thought it would be closer to the rules of a roadway. I have to go to the city anyways today and I'll have a chance to ask there.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baticus View Post
Generally there is a 180 meter no hunting rule that is enforced around no hunting areas. Which would essentially close that cutline down.
Is it in the regulations?
Old 10-22-2019, 11:13 AM

I haven't seen anything in the regulations. And because it isn't a WMU border, there isn't any print or description on where the border begins and ends. I called the Cochrane office and got a out of hours answering machine. I then called the main office in Calgary which allows walk-ins for questions. They don't have a CO in today and said the Cochrane office day hours is now closed, CO's may use it for a base. It sounded like my best option is to hopefully run into a CO in the field and then ask.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baticus View Post

I would check the rules out for that wmu that you are hunting.
Generally meaning sometimes there is 180M grey area? That is news to me.