Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Default Boating laws.

Anyone know if its law to carry a safety kit or does it apply in Sept with the operator course. Just asking, have everything but the whistle or horn. Also has anyone taken the boating operater course, how tough is it or is it mostly common sense?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:58 PM

Default The " Small Vessel Regulations "

Google ...Small vessel Regulations Canada ....These regs have been in

effect since 1999... The date for people to have the P.C.O.C.

is Sept 15, 2009 ...This date has nothing to do with the efforcement of the law. Discretionary on the part of the Wildlife officer ...

If one goes boating without safety equipment than obviously common sense is in short supply ....

Canoeing on Lake Newell with no life jackets would be an example ...

We are doing exams on an on going basis in alberta ....W101
Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 PM

Makes sense, thanks Win.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 PM

If you go to fishing hole they also have a boating regulations book that is free of charge. It's easily laid out and quite helpful. I just took the Personal water craft operators license online at boaterexam.com but the course would not hurt at all. If you go to Canadian tire you can buy the safety kit with everything you need for 10 bucks. You also need one life jacket per person and an anchor. Check the book out though
Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 PM

don't forget a fire extinguisher and floating rope
cheers
Old 06-19-2009, 06:13 AM

Only need a fire extinguisher if you have a built in fuel tank or that is they way I understand the laws.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:46 AM

Don't leave home without your safety kit! I got a warning last year for not having a whistle, they were being nice. It could have been a $200 ticket.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:02 AM

Every boat size/type has there own regulations regarding fire extinguishers and all that. Even though it's not in the regulations it never hurts to have extra safety kit!
Old 06-19-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessePat View Post
If you go to fishing hole they also have a boating regulations book that is free of charge. It's easily laid out and quite helpful. I just took the Personal water craft operators license online at boaterexam.com but the course would not hurt at all. If you go to Canadian tire you can buy the safety kit with everything you need for 10 bucks. You also need one life jacket per person and an anchor. Check the book out though
You only need an anchor OR paddles. Not both. I would make sure I had paddles

As mentioned, the saftey kit is cheap and you are covered. It is nice because the bailing bucket doubles as a storage container so it is all contained.

Also as mentioned, the fire extinguisher is only required for boats with mounted fuel tanks.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:25 AM

I stand corrected, but I am sure glad that I bought an anchor so I can sit and fish in one spot and not constantly have to motor back out so I can drift over the sweet spots
Old 06-19-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Law Enforcement

I have boated for over 50 years and really didnt realize that the laws and regs.prior to 1999 had so little teeth to them ...

Now all infractions have a set ticket ( like a speeding ticket )attached to them , and can be given by all levels of peace officer in Alberta .

My guess is the number one ticket will be alcohol related .
I was assured by a F&W officer , they likely will be getting writers cramp
come spring 2010.
Your boat can be impounded for a variety of reasons .

This is why it is a good idea to take a course because you can get this
certification by guessing but you are not any smarter after you get it . And telling a peace officer that you didnt know such and such , doesnt wash
after you got this card ...

We spend a lot of time explaining how all the regs come back to the
criminal code of canada ..basically all the responsibility you have driving
an automobile are in place on the water .

You have to know that of the 6000 boating accidents in 1998 and
the 200 deaths , 80% involved alcohol , 75% commited by males .
Those numbers have never been close since the testing began

W101
Old 05-26-2010, 03:38 PM

As a new belly-boater.... can anyone help me out with the safety requirements? (I've got the Fishcat Deluxe belly boat)

I have done some research, and I'm not sure if my belly boat falls under the PWC or not. If it does fall under the PWC category, I need a PFD, 1 bouyant heaving line, watertight flashlight and a whistle correct?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
As a new belly-boater.... can anyone help me out with the safety requirements? (I've got the Fishcat Deluxe belly boat)

I have done some research, and I'm not sure if my belly boat falls under the PWC or not. If it does fall under the PWC category, I need a PFD, 1 bouyant heaving line, watertight flashlight and a whistle correct?

Thanks in advance.
If a bellyboat is classified as a PWC then the same would go for kids with waterwings and inflatable dinosours at the beach. What about the bailing bucket- ha ha !

When I bellyboat I have a small mustang PFD that inflates when I pull the cord.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:05 PM

Why wouldn't you carry one anyways!!! Seriously dude you would rather have it and not need it then the other way around... I think ther 10$ at CT!!!

Pick one up and be done with it!!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 PM
KyleM

Quote:
You only need an anchor OR paddles. Not both. I would make sure I had paddles
Is that 100%? I was sure you had to have oars by law. You are crazy to head out without them, thats not my opinion thats fact.

The officers dont wish to give out tickets, they prefer that we all follow the rules.

Is it still law to stop for folks who have the motor up? That was the first thing my grampa and dad taught me when I was young....if a guy has his motor up and is stopped (and not fishing) its basically a broken down call and was very unethical to just drive by.

Also on the lake I grew up on it was common knowledge that all cottagers kept gas cans laying around with a little go-go juice left in them incase a fella ran out....we used it twice and always returned the can full. Why the hell isnt stuff like this around anymore??? People wreck everything, dont they?

No doubt its the damn jetski jokers that ruin everything
Old 05-27-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing_flower View Post
Don't leave home without your safety kit! I got a warning last year for not having a whistle, they were being nice. It could have been a $200 ticket.
Buy pealess whistles for every PFD and attach them. A whistle in your kit will do you no good if you are in the water.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Why wouldn't you carry one anyways!!! Seriously dude you would rather have it and not need it then the other way around... I think ther 10$ at CT!!!

Pick one up and be done with it!!
Agree. I have never used a bellyboat but they don't seem the most "bomb-proof" craft to me. Seems a pfd, line, and whistle are just common sense when you are out on the water on your own. Flashlight? might skip that if you are never out near dusk, but hey, it doesn't weigh much to take along.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post

Thanks in advance.
here is a link to the requirements for human powered pleasure crafts

transport canada

From what I read you have it correct although you only need the flashlight if you are operating at night or during restricted visisbility.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAngler View Post
here is a link to the requirements for human powered pleasure crafts

transport canada

From what I read you have it correct although you only need the flashlight if you are operating at night or during restricted visisbility.
thx, thats what I was looking at aswell, I was more curious as to if the belly boat falls under this category or not so that I'm clear.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 PM

Now that we're all safe Does anyone know if a boat under 10 hp needs registry numbers on the bow. The regs are a little confusing, whats the diff between pleasure craft licence and vessel registration. Looked at the web site but can't quite figure it out. What would a fellow need for a 14' boat and 9.9 hp motor. If not required what benefit would it give you to have it anyways.
Just trying to save a lot of time on hold to get the official answer.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemad View Post
The regs are a little confusing, whats the diff between pleasure craft licence and vessel registration.
From their FAQ section.

Quote:
14.What is the difference between a pleasure craft licence and pleasure craft registration, and which vessels need which documents?

Pleasure craft licence
A pleasure craft licence provides a unique identification number – commonly referred to as the "licence number" – that an owner of a recreational vessel must display on the boat's bow. This number helps law enforcement and search and rescue officials trace a pleasure craft to its owner. An owner must display the licence number on both sides of the bow of the vessel, above the water line, in block characters not less than 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high and in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.

The licence is mandatory for all pleasure craft equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft. Service Canada issues these licences.

Note: You do not need a pleasure craft licence if a boat is registered (see Question 3 above).

The pleasure craft licence is free of charge, and you can transfer it to any subsequent owner of the vessel. You must carry the licence on board your vessel at all times. However, a licence is not a title document. You must also carry other documents, such as a document that establishes ownership, to help avoid delays clearing U.S. or Canada customs, or in case of a fine.

Registering your pleasure craft
The Canadian Register of Vessels is a title system that keeps track of the owners of vessels. It contains information on each vessel such as ownership and vessel characteristics, e.g. tonnage, construction material and type. When you register, you receive an official number for your vessel, as well as a unique name. It also provides certain benefits, such as the right to fly the Canadian flag.

If you intend to use your vessel as security for a marine mortgage, you are required to register your vessel.

Registration is optional for all pleasure craft, regardless of tonnage and length, as per the Canada Shipping Act, 2001.

There are costs associated with registering. However, the registration is good for as long as you own the vessel. You must carry registration documents on board the vessel at all times, together with any other ownership documents, to help avoid delays clearing U.S. or Canada customs, or in case of a fine.

Transport Canada provides this registration service. For frequently asked questions on registration, please visit Transport Canada's Web site.
As for needing registration for a 9.9. As long as it is a pleasure craft (not used for commercial purposes) I would say no as the website says it is only required for boats with 10hp or more
Old 01-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleM View Post
Is that 100%? I was sure you had to have oars by law. You are crazy to head out without them, thats not my opinion thats fact.

The officers dont wish to give out tickets, they prefer that we all follow the rules.

Is it still law to stop for folks who have the motor up? That was the first thing my grampa and dad taught me when I was young....if a guy has his motor up and is stopped (and not fishing) its basically a broken down call and was very unethical to just drive by.

Also on the lake I grew up on it was common knowledge that all cottagers kept gas cans laying around with a little go-go juice left in them incase a fella ran out....we used it twice and always returned the can full. Why the hell isnt stuff like this around anymore??? People wreck everything, dont they?

No doubt its the damn jetski jokers that ruin everything
It was never law, more of a help out your fellow boaters. My kicker motor is always up unless fishing, always enjoying the sun just sitting in the middle of the lake, not once has anyone ever stopped to see if I'm ok. That is not a recognized distress signal.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:23 PM

edit, misread poster.

BTW, This thread is a year old...

Last edited by FishingFrenzy; 01-10-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Mis understood poster
Old 01-10-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
edit, misread poster.

BTW, This thread is a year old...
done

Last edited by Bigdad013; 01-10-2012 at 04:38 PM.