Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-03-2009, 02:25 AM

Default Browning BLR Takedown Rifle

For many years now I've owned 'bolt actions' and 'single shots' almost exclusively. I'm not really a snob about it ... it's just the way my shooting life has unfolded over the years.

This year I'm thinking of "stepping out of the box", and trying something a little different ... a Browning BLR, in the 'Takedown' version . . .

http://www.browning.com/products/cat..._id=012#center

"Why?" you might ask. Well, I guess it's just a matter of; 'Cuz' ... I want to try something a little different this time, and the 'Takedown' version appears to be easier to service and maintain than the standard version.

Yes ... I know. The BLR may not be considered a 'true' lever action rifle. Properly defined, the BLR is a; "lever operated bolt action rifle". I guess it's got my interest mainly because it's a 'lever' rifle that can handle modern high-powered ammunition (30-06, 7mm Rem. Mag., 270 WSM, etc.), unlike traditional lever rifles by Winchester, Marlin, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the Winchesters or Marlins ... I'm just exploring Browning's version of the 'lever' idea.

I've got my fingers crossed that there are a few AO Members out there who have some experience with BLR's that they would be willing to share. Any thoughts, ideas, pros, cons, suggestions, feed-back, etc., would be 'GREATLY' appreciated!

Thanks,
TF
Old 06-03-2009, 03:00 PM

I used one of those in regular guise (non-takedown with a stright grip) working on a game ranch in RSA, took a few head with it as it was my bosses 'truck rifle' (in .308 with a 1.5-4.5 Bushnell).

It had a bit of a rough, creepy trigger (better than my lee enfield though!) but I really liked the rifle.

I would jump on one those take-downs in .308...looks like a great compact rifle, easy to transport inconspicuously. In fact the more i learn about take-downs the more I like them (they decent ones just tend to be $$$$)

Last edited by kayaker; 06-03-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:04 PM
sheephunter

I played with one a bit and while I wouldn't say it wowed me.....the cool factor was pretty darned high. It's a Browning that comes with the baggage Browning comes with but damn it's cool. Taking it a part was pretty simple and it was ready to shoot in no time. If your only reason for wanting one is "cause", then I say go for it. Fun gun for sure. If you really needed a lever, I'd say there are far better options but for the cool factor, ya, buy one!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:30 PM

I have a BLR pistol grip in 30-06. I love it, For me its smooth and when I shoulder it, its right there. Seems to swing nice. I been thinking of the take down, but if I bought one the wifey would flip. lol
Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 PM

I have a BLR in a non-takedown straight grip .308 and for a bush gun I love it. It's light and compact and quite accurate for a lever action. I love the .308 cal. anyway but when I'm doing a lot of hiking through the bush it is by far my first pick. Haven't had any experience with the take down model but I really do love my BLR.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I played with one a bit and while I wouldn't say it wowed me.....the cool factor was pretty darned high. It's a Browning that comes with the baggage Browning comes with but damn it's cool. Taking it a part was pretty simple and it was ready to shoot in no time. If your only reason for wanting one is "cause", then I say go for it. Fun gun for sure. If you really needed a lever, I'd say there are far better options but for the cool factor, ya, buy one!
Thanks for the feed-back Sheephunter ... much appreciated! Having never owned a 'lever' before, I'm curious as to what would be a better 'lever' ... what would you suggest?

================================================== =======================

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
I have a BLR pistol grip in 30-06. I love it, For me its smooth and when I shoulder it, its right there. Seems to swing nice. I been thinking of the take down, but if I bought one the wifey would flip. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5R Milspec View Post
I have a BLR in a non-takedown straight grip .308 and for a bush gun I love it. It's light and compact and quite accurate for a lever action. I love the .308 cal. anyway but when I'm doing a lot of hiking through the bush it is by far my first pick. Haven't had any experience with the take down model but I really do love my BLR.
In this world of "bigger is better", it's good to see ^ continued support for the 'tried & true' .30-06 & .308 ... two of my favorites!

Lilsundance and 5R Milspec ... thanks for your feed-back as well. I'm hoping you'll provide a few more details if you have the time.

My only reason for considering the "Takedown" version is that it appears to be easier to clean and service. I 'hear-tell' that one should never attempt to dismantle (take apart) the standard version of the BLR, so cleaning & servicing of the standard version of the rifle appears quite limited.

Being owners of the standard version, what has been your experience with this?

TF

Old 06-04-2009, 09:04 AM

My favourite rifle is my stainless, laminate takedown in 30-06 with the 81 style stock. I didn't get it for the takedown feature and had the same gun previously in 270 wsm without the takedown. I think its for sale at WSS right now in the used section in Calgary. Personally I dont see much use for the takedown, but if I travelled by plane to hunt this would be a great feature. The gun holds its accuracy after reassembly. I heard concerns regarding trigger being too stiff but found mine to be great. I found it to be just as accurate a hunting rifle as my other bolts. It's a great gun to lug around and operate. Light weight & fast. I also have the shot show white gold medallion version in 270 wsm. Beautiful gun. Not sure I want to take it hunting though. Too pretty. This one has the pistol grip but of the two, I prefer the 81 stock.

Of all the research I had done regarding the BLR, I found most of it to be heresay. Guys on various forums saying " I heard they are...". After using the BLR I found any negatives to be unfounded. You will love your new BLR.

Last edited by tracker; 06-04-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Banned

I told my wife that for my 30h birthday I was buying myself a BLR, I love those guns. That being said they do not ballance as well as my old model 94, having that tube mag out front sure gives a gun a nice feel. Some of the new models from marlin look interesting, most notibly the 338 marlin which pretty much duplicates a 30-06 out of a real honest rear locking lever gun. But I'll still go with the BLR just cause who knows when those new cartridges will become readily availible or if they will just flop and you will have the equivelent of the old 307 in your gun cabinet, except in this case you can not reload the shells to anything near factory velocities should it come to that. If you dont hunt moose all that often theres nothing wrong with a classic old 30-30 though. Will take deer out to 200 yards which would be enough for about 99% of the deer Ive shot.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 AM

I thought about a Marlin before getting the Browning as well. I'm more of a long range guy & wasn't impressed with the fact that only Hornady made the leverevolution ammo for the 308 I was considering. I hate to stake my gun purchase on something that might dissappear in a few years (even though I bought the 270 wsm). I don't reload and wanted to be able to buy ammo in any small town I might be hunting near, just in case.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:43 PM

In my experience its true that the standard BLR can be a real B**** to clean. I do believe that the take-down model would be much easier as it is quite time consuming every time I clean my gun. My only concern with the take-down model would be it holding zero after being reassembled. If that's not an issue than I would go with the take-down model. My BLR was given to me by my father and being my one and only lever action I really do love it. I have also looked at trying to disassemble it to clean but everything I read tells me not to disassemble. I also am a bolt gun fan so not being to familiar with the lever action I still haven't tried to take it apart. With all that said I believe that's its still my favorite bush gun.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
" . . . The gun holds its accuracy after reassembly . . . ".
^ Very encouraging! That was my main concern with the 'takedown' version ... it's good to hear that the accuracy isn't effected.

My main reason for considering the 'takedown' version is that I would think that the 'standard' version might be a real *&^%$#@ to clean and service properly without disassembling it.

I have talked to two experienced Smiths about disassembling the 'standard' BLR ... they both 'strongly' cautioned against it, and said they would not even do it themselves! Both Smiths implied that it is so difficult to re-assemble it properly (gears, etc.), that they are usually sent back to the factory if disassembly is necessary.

TF

Old 06-05-2009, 12:28 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Having never owned a 'lever' before, I'm curious as to what would be a better 'lever' ... what would you suggest?
Marlin would likely be my choice but it's way down the scale on the cool factor compared to the Browning.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:35 PM

Although I have never taken mine apart to clean it, my partners BLR is about 15 yrs old and he has taken it apart. The only trouble he had was when re-assembling it he has gotten the gears on the lever matching the bolt out by 1 tooth. The hammer will still fall but the firing pin won't strike the primer as its to far due to improper head spacing with the gears out that 1 tooth. For him its just a matter of removing a pin and realigning the gears. lol He missed a great whitetail about 5 years ago because of it. Was he miffed. lol
I got mine 3 years ago now and was strictly a bolt action man. I thought it was time to try something different. I probably will get a breakdown on mine and take it apart sometime this summer for a good cleaning, instead of spending an hour or two doing it with rags and picks.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:29 PM

Question Scope?

Thanks to All, for the comments, suggestions, information, etc, on the BLR. You guys have collectively convinced me to go for the Gusto, and buy my first 'lever' in a BLR-Takedown!

I haven't quite decided on the caliber yet, but I think I've got it narrowed down to either a 30-06 or a 7mmRM. Either one will work just fine ... I'll decide which one I go for in the next week or so.

The tougher decision for me will be; "What size and power range of scope?". I know some folks don't feel it's Kosher to put a scope on a 'lever', but I do a fair amount of open-country hunting ... shooting out to two and three hundred yards. So for me, a scope will be pretty much a 'necessity' ... I'm just not that good of a shot with iron sights out at those ranges.

My concern is that I get a scope of reasonable power range (2.5-8X or 3-10X), but that the scope not be too 'physically' large for a BLR (i.e. out of proportion). So ... a scope with an objective lens of 50mm will probably be out of the question. I'm guessing a scope with an objective lens of 40mm or 36mm would be more suitable for a BLR. Also, such scopes tend not to be quite as long as 50mm objective lens scopes.

Any suggestions on what power range and size of scope would be most suitable for a BLR in a 30-06 or 7mmRM?

TF

Old 06-09-2009, 01:35 PM

As far as your scope I don't think you would be too far off with a 2.5-8 VX3, and maybe even more balanced size wise would be a leupy VX2 in 2-7, they are a little more compact. Any other quality 2-7 would be fine as well, but I personally wouldn't want to go with more magnification and physical size then the tried and true 2.5-8.

One other consideration for you is the action size. I only mention this as second hand info because I havent seen it for my self. I had a buddy who disliked his blr in 7mm because it had a very long lever stroke according to him, and his 308 didn't. If you've tried it and like it go for it, but from what my buddy said I be'd tempted to take a second look at a short action if they even still make two sizes.

Good luck, Homesteader.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:43 PM
sheephunter

If I remember right, the scope mounts go on the barrel, not the receiver, and an extended eye-relief scope would be required.

Edit....just looked at specs and apparently both the barrel and receiver are drilled and tapped so you have the choice. The one I shot had the scope mounted on the barrel. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.

Last edited by sheephunter; 06-09-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:51 PM
sheephunter

Here's what it looks like with the barrel mounted scope...

Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 PM

dont have any personal experience with the gun but i had a magzine with the review of it and they said there was virtual no shift in POI after taking it down then putting it back together several time.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Banned

Whats your take on barrel mounted scopes sheep hunter, I never realy saw the point of them except on older model 94s out of necessity but maby you could shed some light on the subject.

As for chamberings I would go with a short action in a BLR. I think they feel better ballanced and snappyer, to me that is important in a lever gun, even if its not realy a levergun.

Last edited by Cal; 06-10-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Whats your take on barrel mounted scopes sheep hunter, I never realy saw the point of them except on older model 94s out of necessity but maby you could shed some light on the subject.

As for chamberings I would go with a short action in a BLR. I think they feel better ballanced and snappyer, to me that is important in a lever gun, even if its not realy a levergun.
Ya, I think that mounting style was born out of necessity and it just kind of became the accepted norm for levers. Interesting that the Browning gives both options.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 PM

Evening, gents

I've just been getting back into rifles/hunting after many years away from it all. My first purchase recently was a BLR pistol grip standard (not takedown).325 WSM. Easily the best gun I've owned for a lot of reasons mentioned here already.. it just 'fits' well, handles great, the groups are small (with the right ammunition!) the action is smooth, it's just a nice tight gun, feels like it belongs on my shoulder....

Anyhow... to other comments...

Quote:
I heard concerns regarding trigger being too stiff but found mine to be great.
Yes.. I've found the trigger on my BLR to be the only significant rub... it IS a bit tough. Not serious, really.

Quote:
This one has the pistol grip but of the two, I prefer the 81 stock.
Heh sorry.. I definitely like the pistol grip ver better... just prefer the feel and look...

Quote:
Of all the research I had done regarding the BLR, I found most of it to be heresay. Guys on various forums saying " I heard they are...". After using the BLR I found any negatives to be unfounded. You will love your new BLR.
Exactly what I've found. I read a lot and find all kinds of commentary, but comments by people who actually own them seem very positive, and more closely match what I've found with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
As far as your scope I don't think you would be too far off with a 2.5-8 VX3
That is exactly what I have on mine, I think its proportions are pretty much perfect for the gun, and overall a good match. It's a 36mm, but still gathers plenty of light. Too much larger *may* lean towards a top-heavy look, detracting from the classy lines of the gun and I don't really see it being necessary.

My next purchase is very likely going to be a .243, and my experience with my first has me leaning heavily toward a BLR takedown. From what I've been hearing, my one concern is pretty much a non issue... I was worried it might be off once dis- and re-assembled. Seems that's not really a problem, from a number of sources. For those that would continue to be concerned about that, there IS the option to mount the scope up front, but Ill be sticking with rear mount for mine and hope for it staying accurate when reassembling.

Good luck with your decision!

-FL
Old 06-13-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
" . . . One other consideration for you is the action size . . . I had a buddy who disliked his blr in 7mm because it had a very long lever stroke according to him, and his 308 didn't. If you've tried it and like it go for it, but from what my buddy said I be'd tempted to take a second look at a short action if they even still make two sizes . . . "
Thanks for the scope suggestions Homesteader ... much appreciated! I'll be checking into those two models you suggested.

As for your buddy's comments (above ^) on the 'different' leaver stroke lengths of the BLR, I don't believe they exist.

I was in Wholesale Sports (Calgary) this week. A 'VERY' helpfull clerk at the gun counter took the time to lay our four (4) different BLRs on the counter for me ... two in short action (.308 & .270WSM), and two in long action (30-06 & 7mmRM). I took the opportunity to compare several different things on each of the four rifles ... one of them being "lever stroke". I can confirm from that experience that all four of the BLR rifles tested had 'exactly' the same lever stroke distance. Browning accomplishes this by varying the lever gearing for each type of cartridge.

The difference that I did notice was that the long-actions required a bit more 'effort' to cycle the rifle, than the short-actions did. I suspect that this is due to the different gear ratios.

Quote:
Here's what it looks like with the barrel mounted scope...

Good photos ^ SheepHunter! I'm guessing that scope is a; Leupold FXII 2.5X28mm IER Scout ... am I right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post
dont have any personal experience with the gun but i had a magzine with the review of it and they said there was virtual no shift in POI after taking it down then putting it back together several time.
I keep hearing/reading that ^ as well ... its very encouraging! I may end up abandoning my original plan of mounting a scope up-front on the barrel, like what SheepHunter has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
" . . . As for chamberings I would go with a short action in a BLR. I think they feel better ballanced and snappyer . . . "
I have to agree with you on that ^ ... especially the 'non-mag' short action BLRs. They feel like they would be very quick to use in the bush. I was considering one of them in a .308, but to my disappointment all the 'non-mag' short action BLR's only have a 20" barrel. As about half of my hunting is done in open country, I prefer to have at least a 22" barrel.

TF
Old 06-13-2009, 03:23 PM
sheephunter

It's a Bushnell 3200 scope. Not sure on the model though.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
It's a Bushnell 3200 scope. Not sure on the model though.
I'm not much of a Bushnell expert, but I'm guessing it's a Bushnell 'Elite' 3200 2-6X32mm with extended eye relief.

http://www.bushnell.com/general/rifl...0_32-2632s.cfm

Quote:
Marlin would likely be my choice but it's way down the scale on the cool factor compared to the Browning.
OK Sheephunter ... forget the 'cool factor' . Spill the beans on why you think a Marlin would be a better choice.

TF
Old 06-15-2009, 10:27 PM
sheephunter

Marlins are like belly buttons...everyone has one.

Be cool!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Marlins are like belly buttons...everyone has one.

Be cool!
... good one ^ !

I think we run with different crowds. All the guys I know and hunt with, have bolt actions and single shots for "belly buttons" ... no 'levers' in their gun safes!

Actually, now that I think of it, one guy I know does have a Marlin 'lever', but if memory serves me right, he dosen't like it much and hardly ever uses it ... oh well, to each their own. I think it would be kind of neat to have a Marlin one day.

During my 'hunt' for my next rifle [BLR], I went to Bass Pro Shop (north of Calgary) last week and had a rather 'disappointing' experience. I was going to post up what happened on this thread, but I think I'll start a new thread about it on the General Discussion page ... I'll try to post it up in the next day or two.

Keep one eye on the horizon and your muzzle out of the mud,
TF
Old 06-29-2009, 05:16 PM

Good luck with the purchase! I bought one of my BLRs at WSS in Cowtown & had great service. Now you just have to decide between stainless & blued. If you are wondering about the scope mount options, check this out: http://www.chuckhawks.com/scout_scopes.htm . I decided against the forward mount myself.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:57 PM

Default Browning Lever action

I had a Mirokou Lever Action in .308W for my main rifle in Australia for over twenty years.
I had various 3 x 9 x 40 scopes but the last one that has lasted was a good Leopold.
It killed many, many dingoes, pigs and roos off the crops Down-Under.

When I reloaded my brass, working up my loads to the best for that rifle, and IF I did my job properly, it was very comfortable with 3 shot groups of under an inch.
My dad used to say I "stretched" the barrel when we were shooting roos off the wheat as that little rifle would make some very long shots at times!

It is extremely "pointable" and very easy to use. When actually hunting, I carried the 5th bullet chambered with the hammer down.

Unfortunately the barrel and chamber wore out. I went to get a new barrel and ended up buying a 2nd hand Browning Lever Action instead.
A bonus of this rifle is that my wife likes it and handles it well to kill bison if needed.

It is tough and accurate and light and big enough for almost anything in Canada in .308.
Enjoy it - those who are lucky enough to own one.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:32 PM

if it were me buying it, instead of the forward mounted scope I'd put a quality set of irons on it!
Cat
Old 10-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
if it were me buying it, instead of the forward mounted scope I'd put a quality set of irons on it!
Cat
After some a six pack and some carefull thinking I beleive that the barrel mounted scope is part of the reason that gun can be taken down, put back togeather and still shoot to the same point of aim. Being mounted on the barrel the scope will always be pointed straight down the barrel regardless if that barrel is aligned precisely the same ever time. If that scope was mounted on the reciever you might notice a little bit more devieation in the sighting after taking the gun down and reassembling it though I dont know if it would be significant enough to worry about. Either way putting a scope on the barrel like that gives you a tiny field of vew and I dont like that system.