Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 PM

Default Zone 503 Hunting

Any landowners on the forum in this area? Looking for permission to hunt in this area from now till end of November. Up here for work and dont want to step on anyones toes. Just interested in whitetail and possibly a wolf if i see one. Any information in where to start looking would help. Plan on driving around knocking on doors once i find a good area just fishing for ideas. Thanks for any input.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 PM

Default Just a little advice

Hi there,
Dont take this in the wrong way but I know from experience, having lived in zone 503 my entire life; you will do yourself no good going up to doors and knocking and asking for permission. Landowners/farmers in this area ABSOLUTELY HATE IT and with how big hunting is in this area they more then likely already have in influx of family or friends hunting on that land. Your best bet will be if you can run into them while they are on their land working. Exactly where about are you working because if you have a quad/ATV you will run into AMAZING whitetail/wolf country if you go on crown land down highway 881. I hunt farmland(my own) however, I setup 6 trail cams year round down 881 in thick bush country and have had 160+ class whitewall on my cameras every single year. Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulls55 View Post
Hi there,
Dont take this in the wrong way but I know from experience, having lived in zone 503 my entire life; you will do yourself no good going up to doors and knocking and asking for permission. Landowners/farmers in this area ABSOLUTELY HATE IT and with how big hunting is in this area they more then likely already have in influx of family or friends hunting on that land. Your best bet will be if you can run into them while they are on their land working. Exactly where about are you working because if you have a quad/ATV you will run into AMAZING whitetail/wolf country if you go on crown land down highway 881. I hunt farmland(my own) however, I setup 6 trail cams year round down 881 in thick bush country and have had 160+ class whitewall on my cameras every single year. Hope this helps.
Yup what he said.

Problem with 503 is that every yahoo from fort mac hunts 503. And add in their lots of edmonton people.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
Yup what he said.

Problem with 503 is that every yahoo from fort mac hunts 503. And add in their lots of edmonton people.
Exactly, they've ruined it for all hunters..caught 6 hunters on my land at night trying to spotlight so unfortunately its not going to be an easy go at getting permission
Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 PM

Appreciate the input guys. I understand what your saying we have the same issues back home only difference is I know the area. Just dont want to step on any toes or get into any trouble snooping around. Im going to tour around and do some road scouting and go from there. I am working right in town and do have a quad. I considered bringing it up just not knowing the area didnt want to get to far off the beaten path on my own with no one knowing of my where abouts. I will take your advice and tour up 881 as I have heard there is some good crown land and look around. How far back do you suggest going? Is there lease roads and cut blocks to access maybe do some walking? I have never hunted the heavy bush fringe farm land so hopefully can find a spot and sit and wait try my luck out.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:06 AM

Which town are you working in? As far as your quad situation do you have one? Also, it depends on if you don't mind running into an abundance of hunters as far as the lease roads go. Its easy access and everyone goes on them. If you have a quad or are able to borrow one, and if can get your hands on a gps that would be ideal so you dont get yourself lost. I wont give up my "honey hole" location but honestly if you just go down cut lines with power lines about 5-10 miles, you will come across an abundance of "man made" trails that you can ride in for hours. and trust me when I say this, you will even find yourself many tree-stands that you will be able to use as hunters leave them up year- round which I don't really understand but thats besides the point. Might as well use them if they are there right. Hope this helps a little as I know the quest for permission these days is a tough one. Good luck with your season and post back on this thread with any other questions you may have.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:57 AM

I'm also new to the area and I've never had to ask for permission back home, this private land stuff is new to me, if you are seeking locations in 503 specifically, there is some nice crown land north of beaver lake and elinor lake, kind of in between the lakes and the provincial park, lots of lease roads, powerlines etc..and you don't have to worry about grumpy land owners (no offense to the land owners, I understand there are a-holes that ruin it)

I've recently had some success with Grazing Lease holders as well, you can look up the "recreational access on public agricultural land tool" on the ESRD website. Get familiar with the posted regulations of recreational access, and giv'er a shot.

If you're not specific to 503...then what everyone else said, head up 881 or the old conklin road. NO Shortage of opportunity.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulls55 View Post
Exactly, they've ruined it for all hunters..caught 6 hunters on my land at night trying to spotlight so unfortunately its not going to be an easy go at getting permission
not to put you on the spot Ulls55, but OP seems like he is trying to do the right thing by asking for permission. and you know that not all hunters are disrespectful so why wouldnt you alow him to hunt on your land.
just out of curiousity and don't mean it in any bad way.

good hunters should band together and help eachother and reject poachers and people who are giving hunting a bad rep.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:56 PM

I know he is doing the right thing by asking but Im just giving him honest information as to what has been the reoccurring trend for the past 5 years or so. Im not gonna blow smoke and say he will have no problem getting permission as I know that isn't the case in zone 503. As far as letting him hunt on my land, Im not saying his not a respectful hunter but I already have an outfitter that I gave permission to on my land and a ton of family as well. Deer management is important to me, and over-killing is something I will never allow.