Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-27-2012, 01:44 PM

Default A family day at the "range" -- warning, pic heavy!!

Sunday rolled around with me feeling like not doing basement renos or mowing the grass or cleaning the garage... all things that need to be done, but can wait. So we loaded up the kids, a bunch of 22's and a whack of ammo and headed to a friends farm for some shooting.

We got all set up and my youngest (8 year old daughter) who I thought wanted to shoot says she doesn't, I'm a little dissapointed but dont want to force the issue.

I set up the boys and let them start plinking away, soon my daughter wants in on the fun

So we get set up with the Mini-bolt line her up on the gopher target, I explain how the sights work and tell her to sqeeze the trigger when she is ready.

The results of her first shot:

Well needless to say, thats all it took to get her hooked!! After that shot we stopped everything so we could all go and admire her target and give hi-5's!

I settled her in to her "bench" and she went to town going through over a box of ammo with that little single shot.

The firing line was a busy place with my youngest shooting a Browning lever 22 that is his Papa's and my older boy shooting his Remi 597 semi.

Here is the damage from the 2 youngest, daughters on the left younger boy on the right. At around 15 yards.

The older boys target at 25 yards.

And here is a video of the end of our range session. The youngest using my semi and getting the order to "empty your clips on 3"

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=IMG_0367.mp4

I only ended up getting to shoot 1 clip from my 22 but it has to be one of the best days I have ever spent at the range!!
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM

Doesnt look like too many shots missed the target. Watch out gophers!!! Nice shooting.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM

OK, that' just looks like a pile of fun! Well done!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:10 PM

that's just frickin awesome. grab yourself some swingin dingers now to keep the level of interest up; reactive targets add another level to any shootin game! maybe one of those 8 or12 sided 'balls' you shoot and watch move. those are the kind of younsters we need coming to shoots with junior classes, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM

Nice job getting the youngsters out and passing on some know how!

Nothing better than a day at the range with the Family! Looks like there is going to be some kids to look out for at upcoming shoots

LC
Old 08-27-2012, 03:25 PM

Nice buddy!! Can't wait til my daughter is old enough!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
that's just frickin awesome. grab yourself some swingin dingers now to keep the level of interest up; reactive targets add another level to any shootin game! maybe one of those 8 or12 sided 'balls' you shoot and watch move. those are the kind of younsters we need coming to shoots with junior classes, lee
Yup Lee that is a great idea! I have seen some of the self healing targets out and would like to try one of those too. I hope to get myself and at least the older boy out to a couple shoots next year. I hope one of these days I can get down to see our buddy "Git" and he can give the boy some pointers and help me tweek a load or 2. Damn work keeps getting in the way of that! lol
Old 08-28-2012, 01:27 PM

Ballons, briquettes, and cue chalk.

All are readily available reactive targets.

Time spent with kids and shooting are good times no matter what.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-28-2012, 02:28 PM

Wow! brings back some great memories! my youngsters are past that stage, but those days brought them to where they are now; shooting as well as me without trying , thanks for the pics.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Banned

Cool pic's ... Thank's !!!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:44 PM

Great job and awesome pictures. Good on you for getting your kids involved.
One by one, it all makes a difference for the future of the sport and way of life.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Yup Lee that is a great idea! I have seen some of the self healing targets out and would like to try one of those too. I hope to get myself and at least the older boy out to a couple shoots next year. I hope one of these days I can get down to see our buddy "Git" and he can give the boy some pointers and help me tweek a load or 2. Damn work keeps getting in the way of that! lol
Well done FAV. Looks like a lot of fun for the troops. As far as pointers go, you seem to be doing just fine. Although, I do welcome the company.