Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2023, 08:52 PM

Here goes the broken record again, Oiler have 19 shots on goal and score 1. Vancouver has 4 shots on goal and score 2. Whoever thinks that the Oiler's goaltending is anything other than useless is delusional. Ray Charles can see that!.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Wow.

I looked, Edmonton was outshooting Vancouver 19-3 and winning 1-0.

I look again 4 minutes later and they are outshooting Vancouver 20-9 and losing 3-1.
Yup. Defensive collapse and then chickens with heads cut off flailing around the ice.

But oilers have two goals if you count the one they scored on themselves.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-06-2023, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
Whoever thinks that the Oiler's goaltending is anything other than useless is delusional. Ray Charles can see that!.
Honest question, I haven't watched an NHL game yet this season. Is the goal tending that bad or is the opposition getting a higher than average number of quality chances? I ask, as from what I read, it seems the opposition is getting a high number of quality chances which turns average goal tending into poor goal tending. From the Rangers game for example, Edmonton gave up 15 "Grade A" shots.

Last edited by Trochu; 11-06-2023 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Honest question, I haven't watched an NHL game yet this season. Is the goal tending that bad or is the opposition getting a higher than average number of quality chances? I ask, as from what I read, it seems the opposition is getting a high number of quality chances which turns average goal tending into poor goal tending. From the Rangers game for example, Edmonton game up 15 "Grade A" shots.
It’s not the goaltending. It’s the defence constantly collapsing. Any good goaltender can make some clutch saves with the odd breakdown. But Skinner… he’s in a blender with his own team spinning randomly around the net.

Oilers D is a whirlwind of uselessness.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-06-2023, 10:06 PM

FIRE THE COACH!!! Whatever you do please DON'T fire the clowns who signed Nurse to a 8 yr 74 mil USD contract or the idiots who can't scout goaltenders.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It’s not the goaltending. It’s the defence constantly collapsing. Any good goaltender can make some clutch saves with the odd breakdown. But Skinner… he’s in a blender with his own team spinning randomly around the net.

Oilers D is a whirlwind of uselessness.
To a certain extent the defence but as I said in a previous comment how about when they are outshooting their opponent by a wide margin and still losing. What does that say about the teams they are losing to, their defence must be lacking as well given the fact they are being outshot and still winning. They must have better goaltending. I am no hockey expert but it certainly appears that way.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:29 PM

Quote:
To a certain extent the defence but as I said in a previous comment how about when they are outshooting their opponent by a wide margin and still losing. What does that say about the teams they are losing to, their defence must be lacking as well given the fact they are being outshot and still winning. They must have better goaltending. I am no hockey expert but it certainly appears that way.

My feelings are…

Shots are only as good as where the shots are place. A hundred shots to the goalies chest is useless.

5 shots over the glove… top corner… then bingo.

There will always be sloppy goals however goalies get confidence from the play in front of them just like player in front gain confidence from a great save.

It’s team work that is failing.

Shots on net can be meaningless.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:37 PM

Canucks making oilers look like chumps.

Embarrassing.

Gezz. Even the coach is getting into the penalties.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 11-06-2023 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:51 PM

Someone change the thread title lol.

Mcdavid will be leaving edmonton at the first chance he gets. Nurse is terrible, I really don't know why anyone ever thought he was good. Was it because of his NFL uncle?
Old 11-06-2023, 10:52 PM

Ouch.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-06-2023, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
My feelings are…

Shots are only as good as where the shots are place. A hundred shots to the goalies chest is useless.

5 shots over the glove… top corner… then bingo.

There will always be sloppy goals however goalies get confidence from the play in front of them just like player in front gain confidence from a great save.

It’s team work that is failing.

Shots on net can be meaningless.
Why even count shots then. Lets just go by score then. We can agree to disagree. Oiler outshot the Canucks by the way but what does that matter. The dumpster fire continues on.
Old 11-06-2023, 11:09 PM

One would think the flames just won one game in a row or something…….lol
Old 11-06-2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
The other teams defence are better(goaltending also to a small extent)
The other teams defence force the oilers to take bad angle shots, shots from farther out, keep the front of the net clear so the tender can follow the shot, and give up less turnovers and intercepted passes.
Shot count don’t matter much if the defence are able to perform those tasks efficiently.
Now on the other end,when oil defence aren’t skating into each other and falling on the ice, knocking their own goaltender down, they are coughing the puck up in a panic.
It’s brutal.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:08 AM

Ken Holland also has to take his share of the blame. He is the one handing out the big contracts.For instance he signed Jack Campbell to a 5 year, $ 5 million per year contract. He could have traded him, waived him to try and improve the goaltending in the off season. But he did nothing. Big mistake in my opinion.
And outlook for the rest of the year, the players did say " Cup or Bust". Well it looks like a bust for this season. Who would have thunk it.
Old 11-07-2023, 02:50 AM
AO Sponsor

I enjoyed the game...or rather all 3!!! Go Nucks!
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 11-07-2023, 05:17 AM

I was saying on AO to trade the Kraut a while back because they didn’t have a balanced team. This was back when they were making the playoffs and he was putting up numbers.

Gotta trade a decent asset to receive a decent asset.

Oh well…
Old 11-07-2023, 05:18 AM

By the end of the 2nd period I had enough and went to be, have geese calling me this morning so thought sleep was better than frustrating hockey, there is a blow out at the Oil Well in Edmonton, someone forgot to install a BOP on the well and now it's out of control

OH well life goes on and I have meaningful hockey to watch yet as Timmins Rock of the NOJHL where my grandson plays are 10 - 0 - 1 in there last 11 games, since he got traded there from the Camrose Kodiaks Oct 8th he has played 10 games and put up 13 goals and 4 assists, the kids is on fire and I love it

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-07-2023, 05:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Ouch.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-07-2023, 08:00 AM

I haven't followed hockey since my kid finished up in the WHL a few years ago. But it warms my heart to hear that teams that favor 5'11" 175lb defensemen that can't win a puck battle in the corner but can beat their forwards out of their own end on every breakout are sucking the hind $%^ in the NHL. I thought maybe the Oilers learned their lesson when they got rid of Bear. Then I watched Bouchard...
Old 11-07-2023, 08:51 AM

my suggestion
New coach named Daryl Sutter
Old 11-07-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I haven't followed hockey since my kid finished up in the WHL a few years ago. But it warms my heart to hear that teams that favor 5'11" 175lb defensemen that can't win a puck battle in the corner but can beat their forwards out of their own end on every breakout are sucking the hind $%^ in the NHL. I thought maybe the Oilers learned their lesson when they got rid of Bear. Then I watched Bouchard...
I though you were talking about Quinn Hughes?

Quinn Hughes
Defense -- shoots L
Born Oct 14 1999 -- Orlando, FL
[24 yrs. ago]
Height 5.10 -- Weight 180 [178 cm/82 kg]

Evan Bouchard
Defense -- shoots R
Born Oct 20 1999 -- Oakville, ONT
[24 yrs. ago]
Height 6.03 -- Weight 192 [191 cm/87 kg]
Old 11-07-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
my suggestion
New coach named Daryl Sutter
Old 11-07-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
It’s a pretty small glass house to be throwing rocks in.

It’s more like looking in a giant mirror set up over red deer. Lol.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
It's nothing to do with Flames, more about a friendly ribbing about the 'Cup Time Baby!!' in the title.

Which I did tamper with last night, adding Crying, but then removed because Bessie gets very annoyed when I tamper with his posts using my mod powers. Legitimately so, sometimes I can't seem to help myself, but I did undo my tampering. Even if it improved the title...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-07-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Honest question, I haven't watched an NHL game yet this season. Is the goal tending that bad or is the opposition getting a higher than average number of quality chances? I ask, as from what I read, it seems the opposition is getting a high number of quality chances which turns average goal tending into poor goal tending. From the Rangers game for example, Edmonton gave up 15 "Grade A" shots.
Both.
Too many goals off of odd-man rushes and bad reads, and a lot of that is on the D. But at the same time, NHL goalies can bail a team out of a good percentage of those things...not our goalies, though.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Makar's about that size, he's an okay player.
Bear has NOT been successful since leaving Edmonton.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
I enjoyed the game...or rather all 3!!! Go Nucks!
I will say that if the Oilers have to lose, I'm happiest when it's to the Canucks. Players and fans both celebrate every goal like it's game 7 of the cup finals, it's something to behold.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
I will say that if the Oilers have to lose, I'm happiest when it's to the Canucks. Players and fans both celebrate every goal like it's game 7 of the cup finals, it's something to behold.
If I remember right Vancouver didn't score a goal in their last game 7 of the cup finals....think the fans tried to burn down the city actually lol
Old 11-07-2023, 12:10 PM

Elliotte Freedman has just reported that Campbell will be placed on waivers today.....

And the beat goes on.....
Old 11-07-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I guess the “cup or bust” comment from McJesus and Draisaitl kind of backfired. Now the whole league is not only laughing at the lowly Oilers, but every team is now motivated to ram that silly comment down their throats in every game.

The Oilers will struggle to even make the playoffs this year.
I stand by my comment of three weeks ago. The season is almost a bust. They keep this up and the draft lottery odds are looking good.