Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2024, 05:35 PM

Default Econonmically - Canada vs Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
What are the gun laws, target shooting and hunting like in Australia?

Complicated for a Canadian without getting right into it.

It’s state dependent. WA is by far the worst for private firearm ownership.

I’ll speak to Queensland.

You need a legal reason for firearm ownership. Can be target shooting, hunting whatever. It all works. The class of firearm you can get depends what your doing. Pro shooters can have semi autos with high capacity mags and a muffler. Property owners in the territory are rocking open carry handguns.

For a simpleton like me I own normal hunting rifles and shotguns. They need to be in a safe at home. The ammo also has to be locked. We can hunt any non native animal any time of the day or night, all year with no tags, limits or rules. Seven species of deer, camels, water buff, wild horses, donkeys, cattle, pigs etc all the time. You don’t have to salvage anything and you can use thermal or spotlights. She’s the Wild West. In Queensland though we can only hunt on private land. The state land is managed by contractors who cull animals.

In NSW I got a hunting license and it was a simple course, a test and then I bought a five year license. I can hunt their state forests all year with almost no rules, there are no tags or seasons. I do however have to book into a state forest online through their portal and tell them when I’m going to be there. Then I go down set up camp, hunt and leave when I’m ready. On NSW private land is the same as qld, just a matter of permission.

There is bird hunting, target shooting, all the usual but it’s dependent on the state and opportunities that exist locally.

Some of the firearms we have access to here are pretty cool too. They’re not classified the same as Canada but again you need the right reason to own them.

Here are two examples.

Old 03-28-2024, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Coiloil can correct me if I am mistaken, but your boy is probably more likely to receive citizenship if he goes there as a tradesman not looking for a trade.
Australia has a one year work/holiday visa to promote young people to experience their country as an option to immigrate to. After a year he would have to apply for a different visa. I believe you need to be a resident for a few years before you can become a citizen of Australia if I remember correctly

If I remember right my buddy had to live there for 4-5 years before becoming a citizen but I would have to ask him to confirm
Old 03-28-2024, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Australia has a one year work/holiday visa to promote young people to experience their country as an option to immigrate to. After a year he would have to apply for a different visa. I believe you need to be a resident for a few years before you can become a citizen of Australia if I remember correctly

If I remember right my buddy had to live there for 4-5 years before becoming a citizen but I would have to ask him to confirm
Things have likely changed. When i was looking at Australia I was told if I had my HD ticket it was easy. My buddy that moved there with no trade had to get married to stay. Yes, it took him 5 years or better too.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Complicated for a Canadian without getting right into it.

It’s state dependent. WA is by far the worst for private firearm ownership.

I’ll speak to Queensland.

You need a legal reason for firearm ownership. Can be target shooting, hunting whatever. It all works. The class of firearm you can get depends what your doing. Pro shooters can have semi autos with high capacity mags and a muffler. Property owners in the territory are rocking open carry handguns.

For a simpleton like me I own normal hunting rifles and shotguns. They need to be in a safe at home. The ammo also has to be locked. We can hunt any non native animal any time of the day or night, all year with no tags, limits or rules. Seven species of deer, camels, water buff, wild horses, donkeys, cattle, pigs etc all the time. You don’t have to salvage anything and you can use thermal or spotlights. She’s the Wild West. In Queensland though we can only hunt on private land. The state land is managed by contractors who cull animals.

In NSW I got a hunting license and it was a simple course, a test and then I bought a five year license. I can hunt their state forests all year with almost no rules, there are no tags or seasons. I do however have to book into a state forest online through their portal and tell them when I’m going to be there. Then I go down set up camp, hunt and leave when I’m ready. On NSW private land is the same as qld, just a matter of permission.

There is bird hunting, target shooting, all the usual but it’s dependent on the state and opportunities that exist locally.

Some of the firearms we have access to here are pretty cool too. They’re not classified the same as Canada but again you need the right reason to own them.

Here are two examples.

So not as horrible as I thought, considering how they rolled over and let the government sieze guns in the 90's.

What defines a person as a "pro shooter" so they can have semi autos and suppressors, are they competition shooters or military/police?
Old 03-28-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
So not as horrible as I thought, considering how they rolled over and let the government sieze guns in the 90's.

What defines a person as a "pro shooter" so they can have semi autos and suppressors, are they competition shooters or military/police?
They’ll do contract work to cull animals for either the gov or property owners. If you own enough land or have permission from a property owner you can get a license to own semi autos.

There is also a petition going through Queensland to legalise silencers to reduce noise pollution. Nathan from the second link below is one of the guys spearheading that initiative and it’s looking like they’re getting some traction. If you search his videos in YouTube he's done some updates on it.

Here are two examples of contract shooters.

https://youtu.be/jCQMGofVbZ0?si=NMlpk5wrRIUobq-c

https://youtu.be/ek5IzUgl_Ac?si=8lg5WENjRBJJ4vZG

If you just want semi auto handguns you need to do sanctioned sport shooting with them.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Things have likely changed. When i was looking at Australia I was told if I had my HD ticket it was easy. My buddy that moved there with no trade had to get married to stay. Yes, it took him 5 years or better too.
Without a doubt in demand skills make a difference and easier. My offers were because of being a heavy equipment operator with mining experience. There is a ton of little variables considered. My buddies daughter actually became a citizen after living there under work visas in the tourism industry

It’s definitely not a country with wide open doors but there is options. Worst case scenario he qualifies for the 1 year visa that gives him an opportunity to experience living there and will know if he wants to pursue it from there
Old 03-28-2024, 07:10 PM

Quote:
They’ll do contract work to cull animals for either the gov or property owners. If you own enough land or have permission from a property owner you can get a license to own semi autos.

There is also a petition going through Queensland to legalise silencers to reduce noise pollution. Nathan from the second link below is one of the guys spearheading that initiative and it’s looking like they’re getting some traction. If you search his videos in YouTube he's done some updates on it.

Here are two examples of contract shooters.

https://youtu.be/jCQMGofVbZ0?si=NMlpk5wrRIUobq-c

https://youtu.be/ek5IzUgl_Ac?si=8lg5WENjRBJJ4vZG

If you just want semi auto handguns you need to do sanctioned sport shooting with them.
Lol. Between not horrible gun laws, some awesome fishing and the whole overland/off road thing, I'm sure I could keep busy.

Now I'm half considering a move. The US didn't work out for us, since apparently welders aren't in demand. Just gotta convince the wife and that's gonna be tough

Last edited by Outbound; 03-28-2024 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Lol. Between not horrible gun laws, some awesome fishing and the whole overland/off road thing, I'm sure I could keep busy.

Now I'm half considering a move. The US didn't work out for us, since apparently welders aren't in demand. Just gotta convince the wife and that's gonna be tough

Yea the fishing is pretty good. Have a squiz at this if you’re bored.

https://youtu.be/cLciF_SvrZk?si=tKuAI-i__B4ugu0k

The water is unreal.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 03-28-2024 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
It’s certain states and cities within those states. As for states, the ACT and Victoria lead the charge. It we narrow it down it’s specifically Melbourne but I’m happy condemning all of Victoria, they’re different down there. Sydney in NSW has some problems too but it’s not that bad if compared to most of the world.

If you speak to an Aussie about it they think it’s bad and getting worse but it was WAY worse than this in Canada twenty years ago. I’m happy they’ve got their eyes open and don’t like it.
QFT! Looks like Melbourne has people that would be right at home in many major Canadian cities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Australia ask baby.jpg (23.4 KB, 37 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell