Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Exclamation ***DO YOU RECOGNIZE THESE PEOPLE?*** Dog Walkers on Nose Hill Park Calgary

Do you recognize these people?? I believe they are a husband and wife, with two black Sheppard cross dogs.

At around 4:30 today (sept28) I was walking my black lab up on nose hill, as I often do. Coming down a hill, in an off-leash area, we were heading back to the parking lot along John Laurie Blvd near Brisbois drive.

Duke was about 4 feet from me, walking behind me. One of the black dogs saw Duke, and raced after him from about 35yds away. Instant attack. Duke was yelping, and getting his butt kicked and the second dog joined in on the attack. I was yelling and swinging my leash at the dogs to get them off of Duke.

This was a full on fight, no dominant play about this whatsoever.

The Owners were still a good 30yards away, and I’m yelling at them to keep their dogs on a leash if they can’t control them. The guy had the gall to say they didn’t attack Duke. I said I was standing right here, and they could hear plainly what was going on. This was no play fight, it was an instant aggressive attack.

The guy tried to say that his dog has ‘herding’ tendancies. I said BS and to keep his dog on a leash. Then it dawned on me, this is the same dog that attacked Duke totally unprovoked a few weeks ago. Then at that point, I pretty much became unglued. I am normally a very calm person, and I hate confrontation, but I was really yelling at the guy. They made NO apologies, and only put one dog on a leash as you can see in the photo. I don’t think they even had two leashes with them, which leads me to believe they know the one dog is a problem. I had the clarity of mind to take these two photos for reference.

A few weeks ago (can’t remember the date), I was walking Duke back to the same parking lot, on the paved pathway (an on-leash area) and this same dog instantly attacked duke (who was on leash). Their dogs were off-leash. It was pretty brief, and I just scowled at the couple and didn’t say anything at the time. When I got home, I noticed blood all over our kitchen floor. The dog had nearly punctured through Duke’s ear, and he was bleeding a fair bit, with another puncture wound in his side.

Today Duke doesn’t seem to have any punctured skin, and he was like ‘what the hell was that all about?” For those that have seen photo’s of Duke here on AO, and met Duke, he’s a very mellow lab who loves to play and greet all dogs. We work hard at keeping him well trained, and I believe we are responsible dog owners.

This is the second attack by the same aggressive dog. If you recognize these people, try to get a license plate for me. I am wanting to file a formal complaint with 311, but without a plate or some other form of identification, I can’t do anything other than share these photos.

I gave my business card to a PCL crew working on the trail, and explained the situation and showed them the pictures. This was just before he gave me the finger.

Hopefully AO comes through and these dummies will be forced to keep their dogs on-leash if they can’t keep them under control.

If you see this couple with their dogs on Nose Hill, be careful they don’t attack your dog too. Even if you don't know these people, if you read this thread, I'd appreciate a bump to maximize the number of AO members reading this.

Thx

Last edited by Albertadiver; 09-28-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:54 PM

He appears to be related to Randy from Trailer Park Boys.

Its likely they walk there often enough you could stake out the parking lot at similar times & days to when you saw them previously. People are creatures of habit, and apparently these ones are habituated to being azzwads.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
He appears to be related to Randy from Trailer Park Boys.
cheeseburger locker.

Did you call the cops?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

Did you call the cops?
Cops won't come for stuff like that. Did think about calling bylaw, but I had my dog with no injuries, other than the scar from the previous attack, and my word against two. And bylaw response on a Friday afternoon is just steller I am sure.

If I get a call from the p c l workers, or get a pm from someone that has had a similar experience then I will make a formal complaint.

I will be watching for them as I am up there nearly every day.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM

Pack a can of bear spray, use it on the dogs not the guy. Treated dogs will run an amazin' distance.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Cops won't come for stuff like that. Did think about calling bylaw, but I had my dog with no injuries, other than the scar from the previous attack, and my word against two. And bylaw response on a Friday afternoon is just steller I am sure.

If I get a call from the p c l workers, or get a pm from someone that has had a similar experience then I will make a formal complaint.

at the very least, get a hold of National Geographic....you may have found the "missing" link.....
Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Try placing an add on Kijiji.... that might help identify them
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM

i like the bear spray idea, wont hurt them but its self defence, how would you know if they were going to attack you next.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM

This seems to be an example of an effective treatment and preventive measure:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...62126-sun.html

It's not like they're gonna charge you with carrying a concealed foot/Meindel/Hanwag, etc. But x2 on the bear spray, it'd work on the others if they get aggressive after Fido's get educated.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Pack a can of bear spray, use it on the dogs not the guy. Treated dogs will run an amazin' distance.
That'd probably land me in jail for just spraying the dogs! Gotta love common sense. I may research the legalities, but I highly doubt a bylaw officer would support using bear spray in city limits. If there was ever a use for it, today was a good example.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:29 PM

i wouldve used bear spray. i would rather get in trouble from the cops than have my dog get chewed on. dogs are family, and i would treat it like a son being attacked.

and you can always go to the media if you want
Old 09-28-2012, 06:41 PM

I'd get a walking stick keep leash your dog as soon as you see these idjits.
If the dog comes at you, you are justified in repelling him.
Cat
Old 09-28-2012, 06:50 PM

I woulda pulled out my knife and that dog would of been done. Especially when it was un provoked . I know you well enough to kn you a very level headed un angry person . And take your word for what you say . Very upstanding person in my books .

None the less that dog would of been dead let the douche bag call the cops .
Old 09-28-2012, 06:51 PM

I 100% agree with Cat. Bylaw will do nothing in an offlease situations and it is your word against theirs. Keep a stick handy and use it, if you get bit then you have a case.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 PM

if i had to, a swift kick to the chin of the dog, or the ribs might have been warranted. break a rib or its jaw.

owner comes at you, break his jaw too
Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 PM

I would go with the bearspray, to be used on the dogs as they came at you. Given the situation, I doubt that the owners would want the police called. If they did call the police, I would claim that I acted in self defense when threatened by the dogs, and the owners would be the ones in trouble.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 PM
sheephunter

Personally, rather than packing a big canister of bear spray and make it look like you were expecting/looking for trouble, I'd just pack a small canister of dog repellent. Most people would never even know you had it and it's much lower in capsaicin and less likely to permanently injure the dog and get you in trouble. They even have a pink version for AD...

http://www.defenseaerosols.com/Dog_Repellent.html
Old 09-28-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Sure they will. My neighbor twice had A 500.00 fine for an aggressive dog at large from the rcmp. I know because I called.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 PM

I would set out a cheese burger trap, I doubt the owner of the dogs could resist.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

I broke a neighbours dogs jaw with my work boots several years ago when it attacked our beagle when we were walking it down our street. Ours was leashed, his wasn't. I kicked it so hard I hurt my foot, the guy freaked out and his wife was doing the same. I said too bad, back off or you get it too. they called the cops, the cops came to my house asked a couple of questions and left. Our beagle was ok but they were stuck with over $1500 in vet bills. Leash your pets or pay the piper. I hope your pooch is Ok, chubby fatgutsky in the picture looks like an attitude case. Call bylaw.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 PM

Awww man, Poor Duke!!! I love that dog! I would've had a hard time not kicking that douchebags teeth in. Before I even read the post, I just looked at the picture and thought "what a goof".

Our lab is the same way. Love EVERY dog he comes in contact with. Anyone who brings an aggresive dog to an off-leash park needs a swift attitude adjustment.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 PM

if I'd be you those dogs would be dead
Old 09-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
I second this for sure. A shot of spray for the dogs and if Mr. Asshat gets stupid... well just sayin'!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Personally, rather than packing a big canister of bear spray and make it look like you were expecting/looking for trouble, I'd just pack a small canister of dog repellent. Most people would never even know you had it and it's much lower in capsaicin and less likely to permanently injure the dog and get you in trouble. They even have a pink version for AD...

http://www.defenseaerosols.com/Dog_Repellent.html
Please explain how bear spray would "permanantly"injure a dog?? Geez!!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:31 PM

You probably be in your right to use a "dog spray" that is half the potency of bear spray. Saw some at Cdn Tire the other day. If asked, just tell the ByLaw or police officer that you have been concerned about coyotes while walking your dog.

Before you blast their dogs, take a pic/video of their dogs in action as your personal evidence. Too bad about the dogs, unfortunately they are only as good as their owners.....

Have met several people with aggressive dogs and they take the necessary means to ensure their dogs get their exercise while not infringing on anyone else's safety or enjoyment.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritofr View Post

Have met several people with aggressive dogs and they take the necessary means to ensure their dogs get their exercise while not infringing on anyone else's safety or enjoyment.
My dog loves to play and chase but she needs to be a dominant "b" off the bat and this keeps me from ever taking her to off leashes which is too bad for her cus she does luv it when she gets to play with other dogs. I'd love to go for a walk with you and duke and let my girl tear into this dog and give him a taste of his own medicine. (Hate to sound like a cliche but you couldn't make my dog bite a person, it's in her DNA)

It's not your fault your a responsible dog owner and your dog is well tempered.
Glad you showed this guy for the clown he is.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:54 PM

Diver. Invest in a little POV camera that you can wear. This one looks nice with good resolution. A little video clip of their dog attacking unprovoked would sure sway Bylaw or a Judge for a vicious dog claim.
Video doesn't lie.
ht tp://www.looxcie.com/
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 PM

Dogs reflecting the owner's ability to be responsible dog owners I'm thinking.

****es me right off.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Do you recognize these people?? I believe they are a husband and wife, with two black Sheppard cross dogs.

Thx
Hope you catch the jerk
Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 PM

Good tips all. (Especially the pink dog spray - thx SH )

I don't want to harm anyone else's dog. BUT I will protect myself and my dog if need be. Now that I really know these dogs, if/when it starts it's run, it'll be stopped by my boot, or stick, or dog repellent.

I just don't want this to happen to other peoples pets, as this couple is totally unnapologetic for thier actions. Not really the dogs fault, it's the poor training of the owners. My bet is that this is a repeat offender with other dogs as well. Maybe someone reading the board thinks things are familiar and we can get together in approaching bylaw.

As for video evidence etc. This happened so fast, in both instances that it would be hard to run a camera. I'd be busy stopping the fight. It's a public park, and all should enjoy, but some need to keep dogs on thier leash.

Duke likes to play all the time at a dog park, but there is huge difference between dogs running around playing and chasing, than this 'red zone' attack that happened.

I'm not walking around looking for a fight, and to be honest, I'm pretty surprised and embarrased at the language I used and my behaviour. I was very near to hitting the guy, which is NOT my nature. Something just twinged when I realized it was the same dog that darn near bit through Duke's ear on a previous engagement. A 'first time incident' would never have gotten that reaction out of me.

I know there's two sides to every story, and I'm always saying that here on AO when someone rants like I'm doing. In this case, I'm sticking to my side of the story! I'm biased, can't help it.

Here's the evil instigator himself...

And up at Nose Hill....

Tags
calgary, dog walker, john laurie blvd, nose hill park