Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Sage One Spey opinions

So I'm looking at a Sage One 8wt Spey rod. Price is good since it is discontinued. Better than a new Method anyway.
It is a 13'6 rod. I am relatively new to this type of casting but plan on a trip to the coast or Island in the near future for salmon/steelhead.
I have a few single hand One's that I really like but I have heard that the two handers were not there best effort.
Just looking for some opinions/experiences.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:11 PM

Sone guys found the tips to be “soft” and compared to a method or other super fast rods guys overload to lob/cast stuff out they are a completely different stick, for a first double handed rod. So when they used other rods not just the sage one they couldn’t hit em as hard, causing a nasty tailing loop.

Buy what you can afford and go from there! I tell this to all my clients students and friends. Many guys I know usually drift one way or another overtime with wanting way softer or way faster double handed rods. Don’t buy into the hype of some of these rods with nicknames... you won’t be catching more or less fish with a method.

If there wasn’t a few guys pushing the super fast stuff this rod would be considered “fast” 10 years ago.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:25 PM

I'll take that as a yes

Thanks for the opinion.

I want something that I can learn to cast properly with and not just resort to throwing bombs. I am not necessarily a fan of the superfast stuff.

Money isn't really the issue but if I get a rod for 5-700 instead of 1100 that puts a nice reel and line on it for free basically.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:56 PM

Id wait for the spring cause a couple fly shops host spey claves where you can try the different rods.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:00 PM

For a first rod you can’t go wrong yes, attending a clave to try a bunch is always good but lessons is well spent to dial in a rod you have ornimporve your skills that rod you will have for years no doubt.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:33 PM

I would be 100% on the lessons. I have a 5 wt rod that I want to use more on the bow as well. I watch for the clinics but haven't really seen too many.

Open to suggestions, not today mind you!
Old 01-12-2018, 08:20 AM

I've got the 8136 and it has its place... definitely a slower rod for my preference. I enjoy casting the scandi line with it but dislike throwing a skagit with it... too noodley.

I've got rods that cost around the 1k mark and other that were a few hundred dollars. I like different things about them all. Find one that works for you. Unfortunately, giving a spey rod a wiggle at the shop isn't gonna do it... you need to give it a go on the water- spring speyclave.

If it is your first foray into the spey world- maybe look for a more economical set-up to see if it is your thing.

Definitely look into some lessons- it is one thing to watch a pile of you tube videos- but spey casting in your living just isn't gunna work.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:45 AM

Excellent, thanks for the advice. The one I am looking at is a `13-6 as well
I will definitely take in a few casting clinics this spring.