Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 06:18 PM

Default Pigeon, ...woah...

Well, things were slow at work, the weather turned near perfect and the new moon just occurred. Seemed like a good idea to fish Pigeon a couple of days during the week. So, I took off from work and fished the past two days there. The best part is I left previous fishing areas to try all new water. I figured I had the old spots to fall back on though they were not producing great anyways.

First day I get setup but before I’m even setup I’m seeing big marks on the LX7. I’m getting excited about this and already fumbling and setting of the jaw jacker ...

Once I finally got the JJ down I fished the closest hole with a rod I was hand jigging. That seemed to bring in the fish and there were at least 3 looking at the rod in hand or the JJ. One of the marks went for the JJ and shortly after, it went off. Not much fight at first until I got the fish close up to the ice and then it was fight on. Lots of long runs and a hard to stop fish. Tightened the drag after several runs to slow it down. It took a while before I actually saw the fish and it was big. Managed to land it and it turned out to be 6.7 lb white. Sweet!!

It was quiet after that for maybe 20 minutes and then it went pretty crazy. Similar kind of situation where the fish came to the jigging rob but took the JJ. Another one on the ice. After than it was the jigging rods turn. Watched the fish inhale it so it was a pretty easy hook set. #3 on the ice. The next fish was big, really really big, and refused the jigging rod and headed over to the JJ. I got to see the hook set by leaning back and looking forwards. That was cool to watch. I had the fish on for several runs but it managed to pull through the hook. It looked bigger than the 6.7 to me, hard to tell but just a guess.

Ended up with another repeat on the jigging rod and #4 was on the ice. Lost a few more fish after that and then it went quiet for a while. I stuck it out until 1:30 p.m. which by then it was totally dead and decided to head home to start cleaning.

Day 2, headed back to the new spot, of course 8-)
Weather was perfect calm and warm this morning. No heater.

Similar to the previous day I’m seeing marks before setting the rods are setup but this time many marks. First fish was on the JJ again. I could not see anything as it was still pretty early but ended up being a nice 3.5 lber. As soon as I got everything setup again, more marks coming in. I would drop the jigging rod down to the height of the JJ and the pull the hooks up to see if they would follow...went for the JJ again. Fish on! This one took off right away. Lots of good runs and I had to keep adjusting the drag. I must have fought this fish back and forth for about 10-15 minutes. Easily one of the most memorable fights of the year. Finally got this white in the hole and it was big. Turned out to be 6.5 lbs.

The fishing was non-stop. As fast as I could get a line down and setup it was a fish on. Managed to land 6 white and lost one. Stopped at 9:45 a.m. .... crazy! Since I had my possession limit now I decided that was enough. Whites do not C&R well anyways. That and I knew I had a big cleaning job ahead. The 6 I caught were:
6.5 lbs
5.8 lbs
4.7 lbs
4.5 lbs
3.5 lbs
3.5 lbs

That’s 28.5 lbs of whitefish in an hour and half of fishing . My previous Pigeon best day was 4 fish in a day that I just matched that yesterday and now this 6 is a new PB day for Pigeon. That was one long cleaning session. The 4.7 lber was eaten fresh for dinner tonight and the 6.5 lber is in brine for smoking.

Day 1 – the 6.7 was a real fat fish top left of pic

Day 2

Honestly, that concludes my whitefish hunting for the year. After those cleaning sessions, It certainly is enough fish for me. That is enough damage done. I've never had a possession limit of Pigeon whites before. I’m going to move onto new challenges and other species and give the whites a rest. What a run though!!!!

P.S. Still have 1 class A wallie tag for Pigeon so might have make it back sometime this year...maybe
Old 01-18-2018, 06:55 PM

Snap you are the man. I had 2 days like that about 2 or 3 years ago that still brings a smile to my face. Caught 12 of those sows in two days and it never happened again. Get the odd one but glad to see you had a wicked day. There's times when they just cruise around with that blank look in their eyes. They turn on your hook and refuse from ten feet away but the rare day they just like pike down there. Battle lake is the same just gotta put in your time. Great job buddy I just love those jumbo whites. I would mount that hog just because of her dimensions.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:07 PM

You are the whitefish master!!!

Teach me!!!

Those are absolute pigs!!!!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:27 PM

Thats really awesome. Love to see success for those little buggers!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Honestly, that concludes my whitefish hunting for the year. After those cleaning sessions, It certainly is enough fish for me. That is enough damage done.
I was expecting pictures of the basement cannery next.
Good job!
Old 01-18-2018, 09:28 PM

Those are some real nice whites! Well done Snap!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 PM

Very nice Jumbo Whites!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-19-2018, 04:47 AM

Great job Snap. If you don't mind telling, what is your favorite go to hook and color ?

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Snap you are the man. I had 2 days like that about 2 or 3 years ago that still brings a smile to my face. Caught 12 of those sows in two days and it never happened again. Get the odd one but glad to see you had a wicked day. There's times when they just cruise around with that blank look in their eyes. They turn on your hook and refuse from ten feet away but the rare day they just like pike down there. Battle lake is the same just gotta put in your time. Great job buddy I just love those jumbo whites. I would mount that hog just because of her dimensions.
Yeah, putting in the time is required. It's not like this my first trip out this year. I've been at it since the 3rd weekend in November...at least once a week. I didn't start catching until new years eve. I hope that paints a picture for some that think it is a particular hook or luck. It isn't. I'm sure pikeman06 would agree

Pikeman, that morning yesterday was insane. After 4 fish on the ice I pulled the JJ out and stuck to the rod I was holding . Caught the last 2 by hand meaning I would drop the WW down and watch on the flasher until the marks aligned, hold the line between my two fingers, then, wait for a tug and set the hook. They were that aggressive. I got those last two in less than 10 minutes.

Still so stoked!
Old 01-19-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Great job Snap. If you don't mind telling, what is your favorite go to hook and color ?
Sure, all 4 different hooks I tried all got fish. I didn't see one hotter than the other either so it is more about getting it to them when they are there. Copper, Orange, Green, and shrimp pattern. You would think the shrimp pattern would be it but it really was not.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:13 AM
Banned

Very nice. Always enjoyed the fight a whitefish puts up and they are fantastic eating.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:21 AM

great fish ,small heads big body, fast growing fish. headed that way next week to the lake lot hope fish some . congrats
Old 01-19-2018, 09:49 AM

Default Pigeon Whites

Nice fish vary NICE fish ! That's one of the best ways to spend the time off work, Great pics.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Nice whites dude! You sure have Pigeon figured out, you deserve it with all the time and effort you've put in! Always nice to get away from the crowds hey
Old 01-19-2018, 10:48 AM

Love it! Sure's been a long time since I've pulled a white out of there. Glad to see your success!
Old 01-19-2018, 07:11 PM
Banned

WOW. Those are unreal. Very nice fish and good write up.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:37 PM

Yup snap you said it bud. I thought it was a moon thing or a location, time of day, presentation, time of year etc. Thought I had finally cracked the code but in true whitefish fashion they humbled me still to this day. I'm like you that challenge is over mission accomplished. Probably figured you wasted enough of your life on the greasy buggers...you'll be back tho. Interesting enough the days I hammered them it was a wireworm too about 4 ft off the bottom and my go to hook is usually a cast master or a wetaskiwin for starters, but I try every hook I ever caught a pigeon whitey on every time I go. There's no pattern at all for me.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, putting in the time is required. It's not like this my first trip out this year. I've been at it since the 3rd weekend in November...at least once a week. I didn't start catching until new years eve. I hope that paints a picture for some that think it is a particular hook or luck. It isn't. I'm sure pikeman06 would agree
Having been along for the ride and seeing how much time you've put in chasing them damn whites there, I'm glad to see it finally paying off for you. You've certainly earned it...
Old 01-21-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Having been along for the ride and seeing how much time you've put in chasing them damn whites there, I'm glad to see it finally paying off for you. You've certainly earned it...
Thanks Trav! Glad it worked out for you too
It sure has been a good learning season so far followed by, reward!! Looking forwards to future trips.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:19 AM

Congrats!
NEVER BEEN TO PIGEON LAKE, 280 KM FROM MY HOME.
WONDERING IF I CAN GET SOME TIPS FISHING THERE. WHERE TO GO ONTO THE LAKE, FISHING DEPTH......
THANKS!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:22 AM

Awesome whites.

Smoking them?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-22-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Awesome whites.

Smoking them?
Smoking the larger ones for sure. Just smoked the 6.5lber last week. Though weight is no real indication of how much fat. Anything under 5 lbs I've largely been deep frying and they have been excellent.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOOOPS View Post
Congrats!
NEVER BEEN TO PIGEON LAKE, 280 KM FROM MY HOME.
WONDERING IF I CAN GET SOME TIPS FISHING THERE. WHERE TO GO ONTO THE LAKE, FISHING DEPTH......
THANKS!
Nice! I've attached a picture of where to start. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-22-2018 1-26-36 PM.jpg (32.7 KB, 313 views)
Old 01-22-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
LOVE IT!!! Too funny!
Old 01-22-2018, 03:32 PM

OK,

I just cannot resist.

Some of you know one of my favorite jigging spoons is a Phoebe.

Open water, deep water jigging is often very good on Pigeon if you can find a hump about 2 miles off shore from the point on the east side of the lake.

Give it a try and report what happens. These things are slow to fall in deep water, and a bit light in weight, but they have a killer action.

Drewski
Old 01-22-2018, 07:20 PM

And I'll go as far to say for the deep ones rip jigging a gold cast master pound it on the bottom then hold it still for 5 seconds then rip it again. Or the half and half wetaskiwin brass and copper. That's for deep fish, i prefer the shallows because it's such a rush. For them it's wireworms but hang on and play them out a bit. Trying to get those sows with the big hump pointed up the hole when they doing their side to side head shake is gut wrenching. I don't care who you are you gonna lose a few and it's gonna haunt you...
Old 01-23-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Damn thats a great map you found, has all the hot spots marked for the entire lake!!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:01 PM

Awesome congrats Snap I hope to get out and try to catch my first whitefish this year
Old 01-24-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
Awesome congrats Snap I hope to get out and try to catch my first whitefish this year
Go to Sylvan, very plentiful and one of the easier lakes to catch them at.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:23 PM

Damn... look at those humpbacks! and the shoulders too! nice whitefish man!