Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2018, 09:52 AM

Default Vehicle through on gull

Anyone hear about the vehicle that went through one of the ice heaves on gull? Was in a couple face books posts I heard.
Be careful out there people.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnme View Post
Anyone hear about the vehicle that went through one of the ice heaves on gull? Was in a couple face books posts I heard.
Be careful out there people.
i heard it was sylvan. tried to cross a pressure ridge and went in.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:55 AM

crossing an ice heave on a lake...

Cops, insurance company and tow truck driver and recovery team should all line up and say.

Do people really need education on this? If so this thread needs to be blown up...get tons of views and education some anglers on common sense lake ice conditions.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
crossing an ice heave on a lake...

Cops, insurance company and tow truck driver and recovery team should all line up and say.

Do people really need education on this? If so this thread needs to be blown up...get tons of views and education some anglers on common sense lake ice conditions.
I find most guys make the mistake of going over heaves to slow. The trick is to find a big chunk that pushed up like a ramp and hit it at at least 65km/h. Don't chicken out. Make sure your windows are down so you can hear the rest of the guys on the ice cheer you on and you got someone to hold your beer in the passenger seat and then just send it.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:40 PM

Bahaha. Send it. Well put Tyler Thompson...well put.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:45 AM

Default Send it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Bahaha. Send it. Well put Tyler Thompson...well put.
HAHA that was funny stuff.
kidd
Old 01-23-2018, 01:11 PM

Default Send it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
I find most guys make the mistake of going over heaves to slow. The trick is to find a big chunk that pushed up like a ramp and hit it at at least 65km/h. Don't chicken out. Make sure your windows are down so you can hear the rest of the guys on the ice cheer you on and you got someone to hold your beer in the passenger seat and then just send it.
Sometimes, ya just gotta send it boys
Old 01-23-2018, 07:58 PM

What's wrong with driving on a pressure ridge?....i do it all the time.....
Old 01-23-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
What's wrong with driving on a pressure ridge?....i do it all the time.....
Lol, if you have to ask, you will become a statistic.

Of course crossing a heave at shore or near shore is not too dangerous. Crossing one out in deeper water with the changing conditions we are having, you just never know.

FYI, I drove up to a heave on Pigeon last year. A place where I crossed earlier in the year. Stopped to check it out and got out on foot. Jumped over the heave to the other side and went right through. One leg all the way in, 10 FOW. Good thing I landed partly on edge or it would have been both legs through with rest of me. Instead ended up with a wet leg and a banged up knee...maybe a bit smarter and wounded pride. The heave had changed and I'm telling you that you could not see that gap at all. Maybe an inch of ice formed in the gap and it looked pretty much the same to me. Try driving over that and see how you do....
Old 01-23-2018, 08:22 PM

Ohhh yea....shore ok....in middle of lake...i will not do it...

Ok will do....but like a heave 12" tall....is that bad?....

I go over those.....lol
Old 01-23-2018, 08:22 PM

Default Oh memories.

Quote:
So you must have seen me and my brother around 1995 near Wilson beach.
In our defence we were half snow blind and didn’t see the pressure ridge.
The auger bent when it came down on top of the cab and would shake the hell out of us drilling holes after that.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
Ohhh yea....shore ok....in middle of lake...i will not do it...

Ok will do....but like a heave 12" tall....is that bad?....

I go over those.....lol

Heh, where I jumped over it was only 12 inches high. Picked a spot that was driveable of course. Good thing I didn't think I could drive over it that day.

Of course you could be that guy that drives over the same heave many times before and 50 trucks did it that day...but you are the one. Saw that at Wilsons two years ago on one of the heaves near shore. Drove over it several times. Busy day in March and the guy ahead of us that we didn't know drove over it and went through on his front tires. Of course as typical for Wilsons it was near shore so no biggy and we pulled him out. We all drove around the heave after that and no one drove over that spot again. Just sayin....
Old 01-24-2018, 08:25 AM

There was a big one at Chip last year. Scared the crap out of me. At least Chip is only 4 feet deep, lol.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:37 AM
Banned

My motto is spend a couple minutes to get out and check the ridge before you cross.
Guys that go through normally are too lazy to get out and check before they cross.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:53 AM

Old 01-24-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
My motto is spend a couple minutes to get out and check the ridge before you cross.
Guys that go through normally are too lazy to get out and check before they cross.
Perhaps you could tell the others what they should be looking for.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:56 PM

Crossing a known Ice Heave/pressure ridge with a vehicle is the same as Russian Roulette imo. I know it can be done safely if it refroze well but

Too each there own, especially when the darn things go for km's and you can't get around them. I typically use sleds when Ice fishing so the risk is less but not zero. Watching You Tube vids of vehicles going under don't help lol.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:08 PM

Man I'm actually scared now....
Old 01-26-2018, 11:12 PM

I was there and saw the vehicle (looked like a early 2000 Toyota SUV), it had its nose buried into the water up to the grill. Another halfton came to the rescue and was able to pull him out back over the ice heave. It was on the North east side of the lake just north of Meridian Beach
Old 01-27-2018, 02:11 AM

Quote:

Lmao
Old 01-27-2018, 09:40 AM
Banned

Best to have a chisel with you so when you get to a pressure ridge get out take the chisel and chisel around the crack to see how much is open.
The ones that are normally bad is the cracks that just open up and there isn’t a ridge yet. They sometimes pull apart and then freeze. So u have 3feet 3 inches and then 3 feet. If u get out and check you will chisel and find the 2 inches.
U should always carry two 2x10 or 2x12 planks with u to use to cross cracks if on your way back they open up and u can’t find a frozen spot by looking for fair distance along the crack.
Depending on the crack height a bit of speed helps ensure u will make it over.

If u are too lazy to do some of this stuff don’t cross so I don’t need to spend my time pulling u out.

Also if you fall in don’t start rocking your vehicle to get out as you may just open the crack more for your truck to slide into. Either jack it up and put planks under or have someone with a strap hank u out.