Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-30-2007, 12:01 AM

I've shot 3 deer, all at close range, when they wouldn't give me a broadside shot. 2 in the back (base of the skull where the spine joins it) and the other right under the chin, went through the windpipe and then base of skull/spine at 30 yards. I actually prefer the broadside shot because they bleed out better. Head shots, you have to be quick and cut the throat (after ensuring they're dead) to allow them to bleed out.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Head shot

No! I once accidentally shot the Jaw off a deer trying to get fancy and I ended up shooting my Grizz in the head, but we were at hand shaking distance and that was all I could see. Destroyed the skull and ended any chance of scoring it, as well as a couple of awards i could have scooped. Damn.
Grizz
Old 05-31-2007, 08:13 PM

Under optimum conditions I would do it, but not otherwise.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:00 AM

Just my two cents,
5 of the 6 deer that our hunting party shot last year were neck shots. None of them moved more than an inch after they were hit. But I will qualify that by saying that the farthest shot was about 65 yards from a decent rest and they were all standing still. So, I am a fan of the shot as long as the conditions are right. Anything past 75 yards (especially off-hand) its definitely boiler room all the way.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
Just my two cents,
5 of the 6 deer that our hunting party shot last year were neck shots. None of them moved more than an inch after they were hit. But I will qualify that by saying that the farthest shot was about 65 yards from a decent rest and they were all standing still. So, I am a fan of the shot as long as the conditions are right. Anything past 75 yards (especially off-hand) its definitely boiler room all the way.
Well, what you said above is my thoughts too. Yeb 75 yards tops is all I would do for a neck shot and from a decent rest as well. Plus all my deer were standing still as well and even 4 of them were under 40 yards.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:55 AM

I think it would be interesting to examine the reasons why some hunters take head shots. I have taken a few in my career and I hunt with at least one person in my party that subscribes totally to the head shot theory.

From my experience, the two primary reasons for taking this shot are:

1. Instantaneous kill
2. Less meat damaged

I will admit that the 3 or 4 deer that I neck shot dropped instantly. That being said, the vast majority of animals that I shot in the heart or lungs also died very quickly. To the best of my recollection, there were only two animals that required an additional “dispatch” shot and they were both found less than 100 yards from the original shot.

There is no doubt that the neck or head shot is much riskier than a shot into the “pie plate”. Every kid that grew up playing defence in hockey or football is taught to watch the puck or ball carrier’s chest - the center of gravity; the likelihood of getting “head-faked” is eliminated. The same philosophy can be applied to the head shot scenario. The potential for something to go wrong is greatly increased. All hunters need to recognize this potential and then judge for themselves (and with respect to the animal) whether this shot is really worth taking. Are you taking the shot because it presents the best opportunity for success or are you taking the shot to prove something to yourself or your hunting partners? If you answered to the latter, you might want to rethink your strategy and perhaps spend your time impressing your friends on paper at the range.

Is there less meat damaged by taking a head shot? Admittedly, I am not a big fan of venison neck roasts, so I was comfortable in taking a few deer using this method. I found that the animals I had taken, using a Nosler Ballistic Tip had bled out well, likely as a result of the bullet fragmenting and hitting an artery. On one occasion I used a Nosler Partition and the end results were not as good. The deer went down but it failed (and I failed) to bleed out properly. I had to make the entire deer into sausage and jerky. With a well placed shot in the “pie plate” I normally break a few ribs and recover the bullet on the other side of the hide. There, again, is very little meat damage. The rare exception is when I have had a deer that I thought was standing broadside but was actually quartering a bit and I have hit inside the bottom shoulder. Again, with careful trimming, there was not too much meat loss.

Personally, I prefer not to take head or neck shots as a rule. That being said, if I had to have the animal, it was the only shot available and under perfect circumstances, I would make the shot. Regards, Mike
Old 06-03-2007, 09:58 PM

I shoot for the neck. They have always piled up for me. Besides, we do our own butchering, and I hate cleaning the neck.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:50 PM

Yea Coldhill you have that right about the neck.....when I butcher my deer and the shot I took was a heart shot, well then all I do to the neck is cut it into about 2 or 3 places, and use those for stewing meat. Man there is a lot of meat that falls from the neck. Then if it is a neck shot well then, I salvage what I can.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Have you ever seen a bow hunter shoot something in the head??? Probably not
Rockymtnx, there are always exception to the norm,,,, I helped a bowhunter pack out a bull moose that died from an arrow induced noise bleed!!!!

Back in 1977, I had a 52" bull moose get up in front of me after taking 4 180 grain rounds in the neck. Upon wound inpection while skinning that moose, I don't think any one of those 4 bullets did enough damage to actually kill that moose humanely. On truly big game like moose there is a lot of gristle and muscle that needs to be penetrated to make any impact on the spinal cord / vertebrae.

Deer are much smaller necked and neck shots certainly will bring them down, though personally it's not my first choice target, I prefer lung / chest cuz it's larger and it kills.

Head shots are deadly, but again the target is too small for my liking as a first shot unless you are extremely close (within 20 yds).
Old 06-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Banned

My father,, god rest his soul,, probably shot more moose than god intended any one man to shoot,, and his favorite shot was a neck shot.. I seen that man drop a running moose in the neck at 150 yards. That was probably his limit for the neck shot but,, it was his preferred shot.. But we are talking about a different type of hunter.. He was raised in the 30's when when his dad gave him 3 shells when he left the house he better have came back with at least two things to eat... These people were good shots out of necessity,, not out of pride... Personally myself,, I always take the lung shot first "if" it is presented to me.. I don't care if the animal is 50 yards or 350 yards,, if I put one in its lungs I know its dead,, maybe not right then but soon !!! That being said if an animal I want does not give me the perfect lung shot I will take it down on what ever shot is available,, starting with the neck and working its way down to what ever I feel will at least slow it down or make it turn into a good shot... This may raise some topics and open myself to some ridicule,, but I have lost only one animal in my life using this method and believe me I have taken quite a few.. It is one of the reasons I shoot a big mag,, don't much matter where I hit him,, he's down.. Before the years of my big mag I was more selective in my shots and let some nice animals walk,, it's the main reason I shoot a big mag,, what I aim at dies,, quite simple...
Old 06-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Winchester70

Great post Walleyes...

I agree with you 99%...but...

Quote:
it's the main reason I shoot a big mag,, what I aim at dies,, quite simple...
Shot placement is still important don't you think?

A deer shot in the paunch with a .243 or a .416 rigby is still a wounded deer that will need to be tracked down.Am I right??
Old 06-06-2007, 06:53 AM

Default bwa

Shot placement is more important that a big caliber. Three years ago a watched a man take down a 6 point elk with a .243 Winchester. I have also watched a buddy of mine shoot a deer with a .308 Norma mag in the gut only to have it run off. He was not able to recover the animal and it really made him feel bad. People need to get their heads out of their rears and realize that accurate shooting is more important than using a cannon for sheer "stopping power".
Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Banned

Shot placement is by far the most important thing to consider when shooting at an animal,, in no way am I saying that the size of gun takes precedence over it NO WAY... But a larger gun does open more opportunities and possibilities... For instance I do not believe a neck shot on a moose with a 243 is a good choice but,, with a 300mag,, absolutely.. I don't think there are many moose and even less deer that would walk away from a neck shot from a 300 ultra pushing 200 grains... I do not at any time consider a gut shot a viable choice but,, don't forget a kidney shot is one of the wickedest shots on an animal it drops them instantly and will allow for a second better placed shot...
Old 06-06-2007, 01:32 PM

I agree that shot placement is more important than depending upon calibre size to do the work for you.. But I have and dont find anything wrong with a neck or head shot.. I have shot animals in the head/neck and have dropped right in their tracks.. But if the animal is presents itself with a shot for the vital area i will take that shot, less precentage error.. I dont find anything wrong with the head/neck shot if the shooter has the equipment and most of all the confidence in his shooting abilities.!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:00 PM

Hi Grand, I did shoot the ring on a Canada goose once, standing, from 160 feet, leaving the whole bird good to eat. Then I was in the prone position shooting at a deer and I hit it in the ankle. So I think the best place to shoot a big game animal is the vital organs. At this point though I can't seem to stop my heart from pounding and keep my rifle steady long enough to shoot any deer. However, I did take the advice of a friend and shot a moose with my camera. Got a good head shot and whole body shot too.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhunter View Post
So I think the best place to shoot a big game animal is the vital organs.
X2
I personally see head/neck shots as accidents I would like to avoid, not something I would seek deliberately. If you're able to make a neck shot, 99% of the time there will be a better option.

Cheers
V1
Old 06-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Gone Hunting

I couldnt agree with you more V 1.

keep a strain on er, pack.