Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-07-2007, 02:00 PM

Lightbulb Elk/Bear Hunting the Nordegg Area - WMUs 328 and 434

Boys, my hunting partners and I have gone on an elk hunting trip in the Dutch Creek area for the past, well for so long, I can't remember how long...we want to see some new country.

We are considering heading up to the Nordegg area, where we can hunt WMUs 328 and/or 434 for elk, black bear and whitetail, which all open on Monday, September 17th.

I know that it is 3 point or better for bull elk in WMU 328, and 6 point or better in 434, that the forestry trunk road runs right down the middle of the two zones and that there appears to be lots of front country campgrounds along that road.

What are the prospects of getting into some elk in either of those WMUs? Is the area absolutely overrun by hunters during this opening week? When does the rut really get going in that area - will the elk be bugling? I need some local advice/information from people that know this area. Are we better off going far west into 434? What is the access like? Where can/cannot you take vehicles?

Some of our group like to use quads, others of us just hike everywhere. Another option is getting an outiftter like Blue Bronna, or a local outfitter out of Nordegg, to pack us into the backcountry and we could hunt off horseback in the middle of nowhere. I’d be keen on this option, but it will require more planning and greater cost.

Any advice/recommendations/warnings etc. would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

tyee43
Old 06-08-2007, 12:35 AM

In 328, mostly you'll see cow elk which you can't shoot. Shootable decent bulls are hard to come by unless you have the time and doggedness to go after one.

As for bears - I've seen more grizzly than black bears in 328.

White tails should be ok, haven't seen many decent mulie bucks.

Haven't tried 434.

You might want to check out other WMUs to improve your odds.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:45 PM

Default 328

I have hunted in 328 for a couple of years, I havent seen any elk just moose and whitetail and the odd mulie. I would say that it is pretty heavily hunted a lot of day hunters from rocky and nordegg.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Banned

+1
328 = cow elk mostly, two years in a row.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:40 AM

I should also add, if you're into preditor hunting for coyote, wolf, or cougar, 328 does have some possibililties.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:58 AM

I have hunted quite a few years in 328 for elk. It is a hard area to hunt with a fair amount of hunters but there are elk there. I, myself have taken at least 6 bulls out of the area. There was only 1 that was a nice 6 x 6 but I usually hunt for the meat and shoot the first legal one I see. We have seen alot of Grizz, cougars, and wolves in the area also. Enjoy if you decide to go. BUT beware!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Hunting

I’ve hunted 238 for 4 years whitetail are easy not a lot of big ones but lots in the 2, 3-point range mules are around but are on draw now. There are a few elk, they can be hard to get due to the amount of hunting pressure but if you work at it you can get them…we have taken a bull every year, nothing big. A 5 point being the largest. lots of cats and wolves

cohod