Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2012, 04:03 PM

Default chickadee and carson creek

hey i went and bought mitchells alberta fishing magazine and marked every water source within an hour of my home in whitecourt, two creeks especially interest me because of their close location they are chickadee and carson creek the book says there are fish in them but i would like to know if anybody has been to them and what theyre like any pointers ? thanks

"Everything you do in life will be insignificant, but its important that you do it" -GHANDI
Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 PM

Give em a try, you're close, it says their is fish in em. Put on the boots and start walkin!

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:10 PM

I have caught rainbows and grayling from chickadee creek but that would have been 10 years ago.

LC
Old 05-23-2012, 04:14 PM

putting on the boots is exactly what i want to do thank you

"Everything you do in life will be insignificant, but its important that you do it" -GHANDI
Old 05-23-2012, 04:31 PM

another question im probably better off not using a spinning kit and get a fly rod kit for this type of stuff

Old 05-23-2012, 04:36 PM

Nothing wrong with using a spinner but it cant hurt to try a fly rod as well.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apprentice94 View Post
hey i went and bought mitchells alberta fishing magazine and marked every water source within an hour of my home in whitecourt, two creeks especially interest me because of their close location they are chickadee and carson creek the book says there are fish in them but i would like to know if anybody has been to them and what theyre like any pointers ? thanks
I moved from whitecourt just about 2 years ago and chicadee has lots of small fish in it as there is way to many beaver dams.......before they twinned the highway i use to fish upstream of the highway for grayling and had great sucess but since then it has not been good if you know where the old burner was there that is where the rainbows start and upstream of there......like i said small rainbows most are like 7-9 inchs.

Carson creek........upper reachs have rainbows but again are small.....as far as grayling i can tell u if u pm me as it can be ruined very easy........know this is something i havn't done for a while........go to carson creek gas plant take the second right and you go past the water plant and down the hill and u see a wier on the left side of the road and on the right hand side you see a bunch of beaver dams......rainbows use to come out of carson lake into them dams not sure if they still do as been quite a few years since i did that......you cannot fish downstream of the road by the beaverdams as that creek is closed permantly as rainbows got out of the lake and are reproducing in that creek...i could tell you where they spawn and you could go watch them porbably right now......cool to watch
Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 PM

I agree when I used to fish the chickadee it was before the twinning of the road....heck we used to catch fish in the culverts and ditches of HWY43 before it was twinned.

LC
Old 05-23-2012, 04:48 PM

wow thanks guys im planning on hiking around these parts on my days off and this is great i better get a map lol

Old 05-23-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
another question im probably better off not using a spinning kit and get a fly rod kit for this type of stuff
It's no problem using a spinning setup with light line and a fly on a small creek. You can use a small split shot a foot or two up from the fly to get it out there. Works great for small creek rainbows.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:32 PM

wonderful thank you so much, im used to fishing back home in ontario for pike and bass and sometimes walleye but when it comes to creeks and trout and grayling im clues on lures , feedback on that would be so more helpful and probably my last plead for help haha

Old 05-23-2012, 05:40 PM

I fished in chickadee alot many years ago. very thickly treed in most places so a 6' spin cast rod would be best. use small silver spinners. Have you tried right where the two rivers meet in whitecourt? go to the left of the boat launch as close to the athabasca as you can get. cast right into the seam of where the mcleod runs in. used to be really good there for walley. Use a pickeral rig and worms.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:17 PM

my step dad fishes there sometimes ive only been there once never put a line in though

Old 05-24-2012, 03:31 PM

thanks everybody your advice has helped me tons , another local creek i just forgot to mention was christmas does anyone have any experience there, again ive made so much progress with the help of everyone

Old 05-24-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
thanks everybody your advice has helped me tons , another local creek i just forgot to mention was christmas does anyone have any experience there, again ive made so much progress with the help of everyone
Big grayling and the word got out now you have to know the creek to find them but they are there...........also go north and do the freeman.....i spent 40 years in whitecourt and i fished everybody of water around here...........we use to fish beaver creek behind the campground when i was a kid and catch 14-17 rainbows and grayling............but nothing ever stays the same there is still some good fish in beaver but need to know where.........you should get yourself some good maps and look at some feeder creeks and i can steer in the right direction
Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 PM

wonderful im going to get some topo maps here soon im getting my equipment ready , i was going to go to chicadee and carson this week but just got an apartment so im gonna reall plan and really study now i cant wait for my first grayling and stream bow

Old 05-24-2012, 04:43 PM

The streams dont open until june 16th you know right
Old 05-24-2012, 04:49 PM

yeah i know , make damn sure im legal haha , i was just going to go for a hike ,

Old 05-24-2012, 04:49 PM

I'm surprised not more people said anything it's still closed up there, Always check before you go!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariko's Rod View Post
I fished in chickadee alot many years ago. very thickly treed in most places so a 6' spin cast rod would be best. use small silver spinners. Have you tried right where the two rivers meet in whitecourt? go to the left of the boat launch as close to the athabasca as you can get. cast right into the seam of where the mcleod runs in. used to be really good there for walley. Use a pickeral rig and worms.
Unless I'm mistaken, but your not allowed to use bait in the McLeod, except maggots and only after August 15. I assume worms are considered bait.