Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-28-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Have you ever killed a battered up Buck?

Okay I will try to make myself clear. When I say battered up, I mean that it may have gotten into a fight with another buck, or maybe it was hit by a car but wasn't damaged all that bad or perhaps it may have been shot before but the shot never hit a vital area and the deer recovered and was killed by you some time later.

I have two such stories...the 1st one goes like this. It was Nov.2002 and the temp outside was around -5 celus. I was hunting in 242 and I saw two bucks coming towards me from my right just below a small hill that I was on. I thought to myself how am I going to get one of those to bucks? To move meant the crackoling of bush, ground material etc., so I stood in the same spot. Well to my surprice they came right in front of me and were less than 20yards away,the one was a 3x3 small body and the other was a very large 2x2 with a big body. They both spotted me but only the 3x3 ran and the other just stood there with a swollen right eye and a small cut above the eye, with a lot of poss coming out from under the eyelid. Anyhow he gave me alot of fine peps etc.

The second deer was out in 330 in 2004. It was thanks giving day. I spot a deer body with the head behind a tree eating, so I waited for it to move to see whether it was a doe or a buck. Well it stepped backwards and looked at me, and bang it fell dead. I walked over to gut my reward and low and behold it had scares on both of its hind legs( inner and outer). Did it get into a fight and was gouged or did a bullit pass through one leg and out the other. Anyhow only the muscle on both legs were hit and no bone etc. It is a mistery to that I can't explain.

Last edited by Dunezilla; 05-29-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:21 PM

I have never shot a beat up deer- but the Moose that is my aviatar picture was chewed up some. His hind quater on his right side was 10% smaller then the other one (found that once we skinned it out). Lots of scar tissue, sections where there should have been muscle were just gone. I never knew it when I shot him- and it was for sure an old injury. We guessed that he perhaps had some wolf (wolves) attack him at one time, and he healed up- but that is just a guess.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:54 PM

About 16 years ago my Dad shot a whitetail buck in the Red Deer river valley. The buck was one of them old old bucks with very worn down teeth, antlers all past prime, big white face, just a old monarch. Anyways Dad always loved Liver & when he took the liver out it looked kinda funny so Mom cooked it up to give to the Dog. Well the dog was eating it, and started to spit something out, pick it up spit it out ect. Mom went over to him and grabbed it and it was a old 30 cal. bullet that was in his liver. No scars on buck from it, so who knows how long ago the old monarch got shot.

SouthAltaHunter
Old 05-28-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
perhaps it may have been shot before but the shot never hit a vital area and the deer recovered and was killed by you some time later
I have a Mule Deer rack on my wall, that had been shot before I came on to it.
I didn't see any damage till I boiled the skull & it looks like a small cal round hit just behind the antler on the right side. Cracked the skull & lead fragments had lodged up against the brain, but didn't penetrate the brain.

It didn't show any signs of trama while alive.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:56 AM
-NDN-

the only deer i shot that had battle wounds was my 2005 Whitetail in wmu337

has a cut under its eye, and a stab wound by its butt, leaking a stinky puss, Butcher took care of it.

you can see the crusty puss on the hair of the right rear leg in this pic, you cant see the actual stab wound, I bet John would remember it.

i dont know if you can see the cut under the eye that well in this pic, but oh well, its there.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Bigbore

That looks alot like the whitey Bigbore shot a couple years ago!!!!

Did I find you???? Or have you already been found

Barbwire
Old 05-29-2007, 11:19 AM

I have shot quite a few that were beat up.I saw a whitetail a few years ago that had it's ear impaled on his browtine.He could only turn his head one way.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:21 AM

No, but I once had a battered up Buick
Old 05-29-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Battered deer

About 4 years ago I shot a mulie buck that had a large, open wound on the back of its neck. It was about 2-3 inches deep and ran across the buck's neck about 3 inches below the base of its skull. It looked to be about 1-2 days old, had stopped bleeding but no signs of infection. The general consensus among the guys I was hunting with was it was probably either a wound from fighting with another buck or a poorly placed head/neck shot from another hunter. There was no possibility that I hit the deer there as I only fired one round right through the vitals, the deer standing broadside at 70 yards, from a solid rest. A side note: this deer was the rankest, most foul tasting wild meat I have ever eaten. I'm sure the poor quality of the meat was related to the wound as I've shot many rutting deer that were just fine and this one was handled no differently than the rest.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Broken nose

Heres a buck a local hunter shot a few years back. The nose was broken a few years earlier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_01971.jpg (58.0 KB, 111 views)
Old 05-29-2007, 03:18 PM
-NDN-

holy dark wing, thats one ugly buck, LOL. never have i ever seen a deer with a broken nose, now ive seen it all
Old 05-29-2007, 03:39 PM

When I was in college, on opening day a couple of buddies and I were deer hunting and 2 of us shot at a buck as he came out of the bush. We saw him drop so we walked through a dip and as we come up the other side we see him running across the field. Look for blood where he dropped and just found most of one antler, shot off. Followed tracks without blood for several hours and never saw him again. Final week of the season a bunch of us were out in the same area, and a different buddy shot the same buck and he had big puss sores on his rump. Drained 2 cups of pus from one sore and could taste it through the whole hind quarter.

I've got trail cam pictures of a cow moose that has stripes accross her flanks like bear claws.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:18 PM

Can't remember a deer I have shot being beat up, but one of the guys I used to work with shot a moose and while skinning it found a broad head buried deep in the backbone where a rib joint is. The moose showed no signs of being hurt and the bone had actually began to grow around the broadhead in the healing process. So he assumed that it happened the year before.
He probably still has that chunk of bone with the broad head still in it.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:37 PM

That is an interesting buck Dark Wing. Lilsundance that moose bone with the board head stuck in it is worth keeping. If your friend still has it you ought to post a picture of it.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:42 PM

337 and that buck, plus 2005 equals Bigbore... who is now NDN. Or so it seems. Now if only he would post his 338 elk that he got with his long bow.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:50 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunezilla View Post
337 and that buck, plus 2005 equals Bigbore... who is now NDN. Or so it seems. Now if only he would post his 338 elk that he got with his long bow.

it was posted on the old board where were you?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:38 AM
s_buffalo

Nuts, I'm all out of buck batter.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Jim Hunt

Two years ago i was set up at dawn watching a decent wt when another one showed up wanting to fight.The old guy didnt.Being old and hobbled myself i took the old guy .When we skinned him he had 2 puncture holes,one behind his front leg and one on his back end.Both were about 4in deep and infected .Im still glad i took him cause he must have been suffering
Old 05-31-2007, 01:47 PM

Jim,
What about the deer Jamie shot up at Wainwright??? That thing had holes all over the place, bullet marks, a busted antler in 2 peices.....hahhaa....

I think it was pretty healthy until Jamie started shooting at it though....
Old 05-31-2007, 03:15 PM
Banned

Default Thanks

Trev...
I didn't want him to get any farther from the road... They cant be TO DEAD.
As for the horns.... Who needs that extra weight. Besides when they are in pieces they are easier to pack

Jamie

BTW to everyone else.. This is the blowout I speak of and get shivers when I think about it and I mumble to myself every now and then about it
Old 05-31-2007, 03:23 PM

Pretty deer before you got to him......heh.....

Old 05-31-2007, 03:34 PM
-NDN-

holy i remember that buck, that was pretty rough. Almost looks like the deer tried to Lynch itself in a tree from the marks on the neck, maybe in thinking it was a quicker way to die than Jamie's aim. jks
Old 05-31-2007, 04:31 PM

Only one case I can remember. In Saskatchewan we were driving out to hunt at first light, We passed a buck bedded down in the ditch of a secondary road. We stop and turn around thinking that is was odd. Sure enough the deer had been clipped by a car the night before. Still very much alive it stood very slowly and started to walk out into the field. A friend made a decision that he was going to shoot and tag this deer (he would not admit it but I am sure he wanted to put it out of it misery). He got out and walked behind the deer out to a reasonable distance from the road and shot it.

that deer was a mess on the inside and did not even yield much for meat since most of it was deeply bruised.

I would not have hooked a $150 tag on it but he did.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:57 PM

NDN I saw it on the old board I just want to see it again. Plus I want to know if you well you have any time to do some scouting for elk?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Jamies deer

Rack thanks for reminding me lol.I had forgot about that one.He isnt to bad now but he sure was mad at himself.Maybe we need another trip to alfred lake and shoot at targets hahahah.I cant say much,i missed a few up north last year and he doesnt believe me when i say there is something wrong with my scope.Im sure its not my eyes........I HOPE.Good talking to you again and stay in touch....... JIM
Old 05-31-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Jamies deer

Jamie im typing but Will is telling me what to say.....................Dad i hope you had a fun time with grampa hunting the deer but you shouldnt shoot off the horns.hahahahahah but i still want you to take me........william
Old 05-31-2007, 07:34 PM

Default jamies deer

Jamie i am typing this but will is telling me what to say .....Dad im glad you had fun hunting with grampa but you shouldnt shoot off the horns.I cant wait to go antelope hunting with you this fall....................William:
Old 05-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Gamehunter

Default Broken Horn

{shouldnt shoot off the horns.}
Old 05-31-2007, 08:11 PM

Dune, if I knew where he was living now I would. I haven't seen him since him and his wife split up several years ago.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Banned

Default My son!

In case your interested.
That was my Son (Will) who telling my father (Jim) what to write.
Great all I need is another smart ass in the family.

Hunting with me is always a adventure, between missing B&C deer, falling off of cliffs, jumping out of moving trucks, and a Adrenalin rush I couldn't control.(I am much better now, it only took me 20 years to get over it.. The Meds help) and shooting the horns off of deer
That boy is in for some fun.
He is already trained as a A#1 duck retriever. In fact he was wondering what he would do now that we have the dog.

Now if I could get the girl into it.. I would have it made!

Jamie