Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-31-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Need Some Advice

I am new to Alberta. I came from Louisiana. I've been a hunter all my life. I know some people may not like the thought of another American moving in and hunting up here but Hunting is my passion....especially bow hunting. I was wondering if there is anyone around who might give me some advice on decent public land hunting in southern and central alberta. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Where are you from in Louisiana Dave? I know some people in Springfield.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Alexandria

Hey nice to meet you. I am from Alexandria/Pineville area.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator

How do you like hunting those swamp deer? Not sure I could handle hunting in heat like that but it certainly would be an experience.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:11 PM

Well its not bad in the dead of winter when it actually gets cold enough to run the mosquitoes off. I do most of my hunting across the river in Mississippi. It's all hills there. There's nothing like watching an oak bottom on a cold crisp still morning.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 PM

Welcome to the site and to Canada, Dave.

If you're looking for cold crisp mornings, you've come to the right place!

Not sure where you're at but both public land and private land(with some serious legwork) should be easy enough to come by. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:18 PM

Mossyoak did you move here from the states or are you here just for a short time frame? Why is evey one in the south, why dosen't someone move here in the Edmonton area then we can hunt together. I'm welling to share my spots, I make the spots mentioned on the board. I may start heading back to 936 again and that farm near islet stageing area in 242, but we shall see. I can take all 3 whites in 339 again if I so choose, but this time I will wait to get my buck. I have a 5 day hunt in Sept., a five day hunt in Oct. and a 4 day hunt in Nov., plus my normal 2 days off each week(Friday and Saturday). I hope it all works out for me.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:19 PM

Thanks, I'm in Calgary right now. Are land owners generally receptive to giving permission to hunters up here.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:24 PM

Dunezilla,

Sounds like you got an excellent year planned out. I am here for at least 2 years. I am a resident now and have a resident WIN number. I took the challenge exam for my PAL but I still need to get another signature from someone back home before I can send off the application. I don't mind making a long drive to get to a good hunting spot.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Administrator

You shouldn't have to drive too far to find a good hunting spot in Alberta. Alberta is blessed with plenty of places that are still wide and wild with miles and miles of public land you can hunt... and we got some pretty fine deer just about everywhere.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:35 PM

Dave, I don't live close to a city but out in the boonies its fairly easy.....and bow hunting is usually an easier permission.

I would guess that close to the "bright lights" you will find many acreage-type places and likely won't have much luck there unless you know someone.

I would get out and go for a tour, find some country you like, and check in with the owners/occupants and test the waters.....if my advice is off base I'm sure someone here will set both you and me straight !!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:45 PM
Administrator

I'd say you nailed it Bushmaster. I've hunted mostly in the north and permission is seldom not given. I can't speak for the south, but up north I've never had trouble. However, southern Alberta is the only place I ever asked for permission to do a little gopher shooting where the farmer not only pushed us out the door to hurry up and shoot, but also gave us a box of shells as well. Couldn't believe it.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:48 PM
50BMG

Last edited by 50BMG; 10-19-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:25 PM

Umpteen years ago while in Montana bowhunting mules and antelope, we stopped at a country restaurant and talked to the folks there about hunting and permission and stuff. We were warned to at all costs avoid Joe Blow's place.

Well don't ya know , 1/2 hour later we're on the wrong road and end up in Joe's yard. We're burnin' a donut trying to make good our escape when Martha comes charging out of the garden waving wildly.....and she had us !!

Turns out she hadn't seen another human in I don't know how long cause we couldn't get her stopped talkin' !!

Nex thing ya know, she drags Joe outta the house(he's watching a ball game) and tells him we're looking to hunt....now we're real scared !!

Long story short, he piles us into his truck, heads across the yard and down into a ravine, sets me out to walk/push while he takes my partner to the top of the ravine down about 1/2 mile....by the time I got there he had already shot a mule and the guy was eggin' him on to shoot another....he had never seen anyone shoot anything with a bow before !!

Turned out to be an excellent guy and we had been warned to avoid him !! Go figure. Just shows, doesn't hurt to strike up a conversation.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:29 PM

welcome to the board and Alberta Dave. I am sure you will enjoy it here and on the board.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Winchester70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Umpteen years ago while in Montana bowhunting mules and antelope, we stopped at a country restaurant and talked to the folks there about hunting and permission and stuff. We were warned to at all costs avoid Joe Blow's place.

Well don't ya know , 1/2 hour later we're on the wrong road and end up in Joe's yard. We're burnin' a donut trying to make good our escape when Martha comes charging out of the garden waving wildly.....and she had us !!

Turns out she hadn't seen another human in I don't know how long cause we couldn't get her stopped talkin' !!

Nex thing ya know, she drags Joe outta the house(he's watching a ball game) and tells him we're looking to hunt....now we're real scared !!

Long story short, he piles us into his truck, heads across the yard and down into a ravine, sets me out to walk/push while he takes my partner to the top of the ravine down about 1/2 mile....by the time I got there he had already shot a mule and the guy was eggin' him on to shoot another....he had never seen anyone shoot anything with a bow before !!

Turned out to be an excellent guy and we had been warned to avoid him !! Go figure. Just shows, doesn't hurt to strike up a conversation.
Great story...it made me think of this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esl2N...elated&search=
Old 05-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Banned

Default Welcome

Mossy.. Good to hear you moved to GODS city!
A few things to remember
Calgary Stampeder Season tickets are cheap! Buy a pair (we hate the Edmonton Eskimos)
Calgary Flames tickets are coveted, don't ever turn them down. (We hate the Edmonton Oilers)
(are you seeing a pattern here?)

The Calgary stampede is THE greatest outdoor show on earth.
Watching chuck wagon races during the stampede is "Must see TV" You have to be able to talk about them the next day or people will look at you funny.
You MUST call in sick to work at least one day during stampede and you also must leave work early at least 2 days during stampede. (You have no choice it is in the city charter). Just find a bar and sit down.. The Ranchmens is a great spot to start!

As for the hunting.. Draws are the only way to go, you must plan for the future, just put in for all of them. Plenty and PLENTY of public land.
Do you Bow Hunt?

Feel free to PM me and I will give you my # and tell you how to sort it all out.

Jamie
Old 05-31-2007, 11:13 PM

Welcome to our great city and great city Dave! In winter our mosquitoes also go away!

There are some fantastic bow hunting opportunities for big deer near the city. The place we are fortunate enough to hunt is about a 15 minute drive from my house and it is full of deer. It is east of the city....yeah, east....

It will take you some legwork but the effort is worth it. There are some huge deer here (God I'd love to hunt the Hampton's golf course....front nine!)

Any other questions fire me off a PM and we can go from there. Again, welcome.

Tree
Old 06-01-2007, 08:41 AM

Welcome to the Board. You can hit the forestry northwest of the city within an hour. Lots of w/t and mulies. You can also head down to the Porcupine Hills west of Nanton. It has some excellent grain fed deer and elk. Hope that helps a bit.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:45 AM

Well Jamie we should hunt together....you hate the Oilers, and I hate the Oilers plus I cheer them on when they are loseing. Except when there playing a team that may be giving the team I like a rough time. Then I hope they win. The Eskimoes are not my favorite team too, but I don't hate them as much as I hate the Oilers. Oh and the great Joy that the Oilers ever gave me was when they went to a 7th game in the Standly cup final and lost...man that was the greatest. Then to have a year like this year topped it off.

Dave, as Rob says there is deer all over this great Province....so there is no need to drive far. Bare this in mine though....the northern deer are the Mahmed Alli of all the deer....They can beat the crap out of any southern Alberta deer.

Last edited by Dunezilla; 06-01-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:30 PM

Dave, lemme put it in terms you can understand... you just moved to the Baton Rouge of Alberta.... Now I bet when you were down there you cheered for the Saints, even if you didn't live in NOLA. Same here. Cheer for the Eskimos
Old 06-01-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Thanks All

I thank you all for the advice. I'll have to check out the porcupine hills an the northwest forestry. I don't mind driving up north to see what's there as well. I'm sure hunting up here will be a lot different from hunting in the south but I'm up for the challenge. As far as hockey teams goes, I haven't picked a favorite yet but I'll let you know when I do.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester70 View Post
Great story...it made me think of this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esl2N...elated&search=
Great link Win70, Bushmaster, I thought that was going to turn into a Penthouse Forum story.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:54 AM

Unregistered.....that's my late nite version !!
Old 06-02-2007, 05:13 PM

Hey mossyoakdave,

I'm from Nova Scotia, and no doubt have friends/relatives in your neck of the woods(Louisiana). I lived in Calgary for several years(back in the seventies) and just got back for an elk bowhunt in '06.....plan to go back in '07. Seems to me that everyone I've talking to to on this board has been friendly and helpful. I have a childhood friend curently living in Calgary who has recently taken up bowhunting so we've been trying to take an Elk in September....no harvests to date...I have to take a bull being a non resident. The opportunities are endless here in Alberta....I only wish we had a similar scenario here in N. S.
WE are in the process of attempting to introduce wild turkeys here and have been shut down by the morons we as the people elected to represent our interests. Flatly refused...I've travelled to Maine with my recurve to hunt turkeys and they actually welcome out of Country/state hunters.....revenue...go figure. As you are a resident of AB now you can have your dream come true...it is...without question the best hunting in Canada.... Enjoy!!
Old 06-02-2007, 05:48 PM

Welcome to Alberta Mossy.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:31 PM

Hey NS, I am also from NS (Antigonish). The hunting opportunities in Alberta are simply awesome. Maybe the best in the world (not to mention the fishing).

My family is here visiting us in Calgary right now, and have made many references to how there are no hunters anymore and the Black Bear population is starting to outnumber the White Tails! Any thoughts?

Tree
Old 06-03-2007, 02:09 PM

im in whitecourt and we have some good populations up here so if your ever in my neck of the woods give me a call and ill show you some spots!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 PM

Well I took some advice and drove south over the weekend and found the Porcupine Hills. I really like the way looks in there. I walked up on some mules. I also got the opportunity to see a cow moose trying to coax a couple of calves to cross a barbed wire fence. That was entertaining. I took pictures. Anyway, now that I've found a spot, its time for me to do some scouting.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Banned

Well you've obviously done your homework. You've picked one of the best places to live on this continent if your a hunter imo. AND...you've already found a decent place to start hunting. AND....you've found the best local forum too!...your makin all the right moves.

We expect some pictures and stories posted here come this fall! Other than that just keep asking questions and you'll find a good bunch here will steer you in all the right directions.