Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-08-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Hmmm....Trophy Doe Hunting?

Okay this is what the title of an artical was in a hunting mag in 2005. I wish I can find the artical again. Once the computor is running better I shall seach the net for it.

I remember just a bit of the artical. It goes something like this " A lot of hunters hunt for trophy bucks, but there are only a few who hunt for large does." He said "there are very large does out there".

I also remember reading a line in a book by a tracker who said "some of the biggest tracks he saw were from does."

Now here is the problem...with out the artical on trophy does, well I can't post the rules or what makes up a trophy doe. I can only guess that it has a large body, large hooves and stands some what taller than other does.

Now the larges doe I ever saw was a mulie doe my nephew got with a bow in 2003. His first time bow hunting and his first time hunting in a few years. Now I read that a mulie doe rarely excceds 160lbs, and a 160lb doe is big, well this doe was around 150lbs range.

Anyhow what your thoughts on this? Have you ever killed a larger than normal doe? Anyhow I just put this up to see what you think.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:56 PM

Dunezilla I'll post pics when I get home tonight. I always go off of length and width of the ears. Tip to tip measurement with the ears laid flat can be quite impressive also as for body size I'm not brave enough to bring up a gals wieght even if I'm holding the gun.