Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
lol Ya your rookies are really shining this year so im sure one more will turn things around

PP -F
Pk -F
Scoring - F
Goal Tending - F Minus..
Leadership -F
Physical play - F
Wins - F
Shootout - F
Injury prone Players a+

Overall Rating...Insert pic of a triple coiler(pun intended) here --------
LOL Mr. Magoo issues scouting reports now! LOL

So going back to my post above, as a Flames fan there is no way you would trade all your players 21 or younger for all the Oilers players 21 or younger. Do I have that right?

Rookie scoring, 3 Oilers in top 15, 4 in top 31 with 84 pts total so far (and that's with Eberle out a long time). One Flame in that group (top 31, not top 15) with 11 points. Yes, you are right, the Oiler rookies suck. Flames rookies are obviously much better. Michael Backlund is your future hall-of-famer

So if we select, say, 4 young Oilers... Hall, Eberle, Magnus P, Omark... name me 4 Flames prospects 20 or under who are more highly rated or more likely to become stars. Seriously.....

There are certainly more than a few places the Flames are better than the Oilers, but if you say young talent and rookies you are obviously smoking something still illegal in Canada.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL Mr. Magoo issues scouting reports now! LOL

So going back to my post above, as a Flames fan there is no way you would trade all your players 21 or younger for all the Oilers players 21 or younger. Do I have that right?

Rookie scoring, 3 Oilers in top 15, 4 in top 31 with 84 pts total so far (and that's with Eberle out a long time). One Flame in that group (top 31, not top 15) with 11 points. Yes, you are right, the Oiler rookies suck. Flames rookies are obviously much better. Michael Backlund is your future hall-of-famer

So if we select, say, 4 young Oilers... Hall, Eberle, Magnus P, Omark... name me 4 Flames prospects 20 or under who are more highly rated or more likely to become stars. Seriously.....

There are certainly more than a few places the Flames are better than the Oilers, but if you say young talent and rookies you are obviously smoking something still illegal in Canada.
All those rookie numbers dont mean nothing Oko ...But this does..

GP W L OT Pts GF GA Diff Home Away S/O L10 Streak

50 15 27 8 38 123 171 -48 7-14-4 8-13-4 1 - 7 2-7-1 Lost 2

My point is you have have as many top shelf rookies as you want as you will never win without some veteran players.Which you will never have as nobody wants to play in Edmonton (which is fact as the recent nhl poll shows) and another year of of finishing last sure isnt going to help your cause any.You think guys like Hall and Eberle that are used to being on top and winning are going to stick with the team for many more years of huge embarrassing failures. Flames have lots of problems of there own thats for sure but if you think the Oil future is bright then you must be on the devils lettuce
Old 02-04-2011, 11:34 AM

On a side note check out this thing of beauty
Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Sure glad Calgary is consistent, what a good awful ugly jersey, goes with those other disgraces they call jerseys.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
All those rookie numbers dont mean nothing Oko ...

You think guys like Hall and Eberle that are used to being on top and winning are going to stick with the team for many more years of huge embarrassing failures:
LOL. Well, all those rookie numbers mean that your statement implying they weren't shining is hooey. Edmonton's rookies are doing significantly better than Calgary's. That's indisputable, so you try to turn the argument a different way. The discussion was about rookies, period.

As for Oiler rookies not wanting to stick around because the team is bad... well first thing take a look at the rules and you tell me when they could decide to go play elsewhere... Secondly, Sidney C stuck by his lousy team in a non-glamourous town, so have lots of others. The key is to get better. Of course the jury is out on that, but I happen to think they have SOME of the tols to work with (not all yet for sure).

I'm glad Calgary is an attractive place to play for guys 30+ years old who's skills are declining. I hope the Flames keep bringing in the Tanguay's, Staios's and Joker's at trade deadline forever. Thats how the Pens, Hawks and Wings built champions.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL. Well, all those rookie numbers mean that your statement implying they weren't shining is hooey. Edmonton's rookies are doing significantly better than Calgary's. That's indisputable, so you try to turn the argument a different way. The discussion was about rookies, period.

As for Oiler rookies not wanting to stick around because the team is bad... well first thing take a look at the rules and you tell me when they could decide to go play elsewhere... Secondly, Sidney C stuck by his lousy team in a non-glamourous town, so have lots of others. The key is to get better. Of course the jury is out on that, but I happen to think they have SOME of the tols to work with (not all yet for sure).

I'm glad Calgary is an attractive place to play for guys 30+ years old who's skills are declining. I hope the Flames keep bringing in the Tanguay's, Staios's and Joker's at trade deadline forever. Thats how the Pens, Hawks and Wings built champions.
By not shining I meant as a team effort in contributing to the the win column..

I am well aware of the rules and by the time the oil even make the playoffs again the Rookies will have their bags packed ready to go..

How many years has it been now that you guys have been saying next year. (5 at least)

Flames have lots of problems like I already stated so we agree on that.What we disagree on is that the oil future is so bright that we need to wear shades..
Old 02-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

Not sure how long this mirage is going to last for my Flames..
But I will enjoy it while it lasts.

Lots of great games comming up. I think 8 in the next month are against teams they are tied with or just slightly behind. Great time to be on a roll.

Jamie
Old 02-04-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Flames have lots of problems like I already stated so we agree on that.What we disagree on is that the oil future is so bright that we need to wear shades..
Well maybe not Oakley shades. Maybe just yellow tinted shooting glasses

I think the Oil will be pretty loaded at forward in the next year or two when the youngs guys have matured a bit, but I don't see anything on defence and I'm not sure if young D.D. will be the goalie of the future. Khabi will be retired by the time this crew is ready for any sort of run to the top.

The Flames are starting froma higher place, but I just don't see the players of tomorrow in their system... not first line players anyway. They are going to have to go find older ones. They do have the one young defenceman who hung around for a while at the start of the season. He looks like a good one, but defence isn't the Flames' problem.

Anyways, fun to argue. And if we were all totally realistic about our teams, only the fans of the eventual cup champ would bother showing up for games.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:07 PM

The Flames can always find veteran under achieving players to come to Calgary for several reasons: They pay them more than they are worth and give them no trade clauses to boot!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:47 PM

The Oilers are in a very dangerous position right now. They do have loads of talent playing right now and still some yet to come...however we need a Dcorps in the worst way...and not up and coming bright stars...but big, mobile, crushing Dmen with a great first pass....as well as a real deal #1 goalie. Some veteran forwards with some real down the stretch experience would be very nice as well. The danger we are in is not being able to get these key pieces and then having to part out our stars as they get older and disgruntled in the oiler organization due to a lack of supporting cast members.

On the other hand, if those key bits can fall into place over the next couple of seasons...yes not this year, nt next year it will take some time....if they can be put into place and the young stars can be shaped and molded to be the stars they are touted to be..then Edmonton can make a real shot at going deep into the play offs once again. It will be fun to watch and see what happens for sure.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
You think guys like Hall and Eberle that are used to being on top and winning are going to stick with the team for many more years of huge embarrassing failures
Spoken like a true Flames fan BB! 11 playoff games since 06 for Eberle and that is being on top and winning. I give you the Hall factor but Eberle has not played on a winning team in a long time. Oh wait a second 11 playoff games in 4 years is a winning team for a Calgary fan!!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goober View Post
Spoken like a true Flames fan BB! 11 playoff games since 06 for Eberle and that is being on top and winning. I give you the Hall factor but Eberle has not played on a winning team in a long time. Oh wait a second 11 playoff games in 4 years is a winning team for a Calgary fan!!
Sorry I dont follow the Oil crew enough to be right on every stat Sir..
Old 02-04-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry I dont follow the Oil crew enough to be right on every stat Sir..

You should follow them a little more, some of their kids are the future of the league. It will be fantastic to watch them grow and develop together. Imagine if they draft Landeskog this year. Next year you may see the all Swede line in Omark-Landeskog-Paajarvi!!! Good times lay ahead for Edmonton. Until you look at the back end and then it starts to get UUUUGGGGLY!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
You should follow them a little more, some of their kids are the future of the league. It will be fantastic to watch them grow and develop together. Imagine if they draft Landeskog this year. Next year you may see the all Swede line in Omark-Landeskog-Paajarvi!!! Good times lay ahead for Edmonton. Until you look at the back end and then it starts to get UUUUGGGGLY!!!
I find it fantastic to watch them right now when they are worse every game and break all kinds of records for sucking
Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
On a side note check out this thing of beauty
My buddies kid reminded me why this sweater looked so familiar.....

Hey BB did you get the Harry Potter Glasses to go with it? Go TEAM Griffindor

Okie dont confuse my pal Jeff with logic and facts..it confuses his blind loyalty to a mediocre team with no future...
Old 02-05-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Pure speculation...these young Coilers have a long ways to go, everyone is talking like there all gonna be big stars in the NHL, just because Hall is a #1 pick doesn't mean jack, same goes for Eberle and Paajarvi, right now I would say the cream of the 2010 draft is Jeff Skinner (7th over-all), Coiler fans are only speculating that they are going to have a great team in a few years, "let the good times roll"....
Old 02-05-2011, 03:27 AM

Flames Prospects: Max Reinhart C, 19 - WHL Kootney Ice Leading Scorer with 56pts...... Ryan Howse LW 19 - WHL Chilliwack Bruins Leading Scorer with 57 pts...... Michael Ferland LW, 19 - WHL Brandon Wheat Kings 40 pts...... Patrick Holland RW, 19 - WHL Tri City Americans 46 pts...... Tim Erixon, 19 - Big Swedish D man playing in Swedish Elite league...... TJ Brodie D, 20 - AHL Abbotsford Heat...... So believe it or not the Flames do have some fine looking prospects of there own, not quite as bleak as some are suggesting here.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Pure speculation...these young Coilers have a long ways to go, everyone is talking like there all gonna be big stars in the NHL, just because Hall is a #1 pick doesn't mean jack, same goes for Eberle and Paajarvi, right now I would say the cream of the 2010 draft is Jeff Skinner (7th over-all), Coiler fans are only speculating that they are going to have a great team in a few years, "let the good times roll"....
Don't get me wrong here I am not saying that the Oilers are going to be a fantastic cup contending team, I am just saying that good times lay ahead for Oiler fans. It shall be fun to watch the youth of the team grow up together and you never know what the future holds with them. That is the beauty of a re-build. Early indications are that there will be some fun hockey to watch. You are dead on with Skinner, right now he looks like the cream of the crop. My only question would be how good would some of the other players drafted look if given the opportunity to play with Staal night in and night out. Bottom line is that there is still a lot of holes to fill on the Oilers, I can think of about 6 on the defensive side of things alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Flames Prospects: Max Reinhart C, 19 - WHL Kootney Ice Leading Scorer with 56pts...... Ryan Howse LW 19 - WHL Chilliwack Bruins Leading Scorer with 57 pts...... Michael Ferland LW, 19 - WHL Brandon Wheat Kings 40 pts...... Patrick Holland RW, 19 - WHL Tri City Americans 46 pts...... Tim Erixon, 19 - Big Swedish D man playing in Swedish Elite league...... TJ Brodie D, 20 - AHL Abbotsford Heat...... So believe it or not the Flames do have some fine looking prospects of there own, not quite as bleak as some are suggesting here.
I am a big Howse supporter and think he was robbed by not being named to Team Canada. The kid LOVES to score goals!! The only knock on him would be that he needs to learn how to play when not in control of the puck. He almost disappears at times when he does not have the puck. Brodie was the Flames surprise for me this year. He looked fantastic to start the year and I really thought he was going to crack the line up. Should be a good d man in the future. You also forgot Ortio on your list. I think they may have found a hidden gem with him. But then again with goalies it is always a crap shoot!!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Oklahoma City – Oklahoma City Barons forward Teemu Hartikainen (hart-uh-KYE-nin) was named the Reebok / American Hockey League Rookie of the Month for the week of January, the league’s front office announced today.

Hartikainen, a 20-year old native of Kuopio, Finland earned the honor for registering 14 points (4-10-14) and was a +8 in the Barons 15 games during the month of January. That included five points in a two-game set against Peoria in mid-January and goals in consecutive games January 26 – 28.

His performance during the month of January has moved him to third in goals (14) and points (32) in scoring among AHL rookies. Hartikainen was the Oilers sixth-round selection (163rd overall) in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Hartikainen joins the list of Barons players who have earned weekly or monthly honors from the AHL this season. Linus Omark and Bryan Helmer have each earned AHL Player of the Week honors, while Alex Giroux earned the reGen Muscle Recovery Beverage Performance of the Month award for December.

Geez another promising rookie in our system...only 20 yrs old too.
In addition to the above here is how several other Oiler prospects are fairing...

Ryan Martindale C Man 2 goals 1 A last night now has 67 points in 46 Games

Martin Marancin D Man 1 goal last night now has 45 points in 46 games

Tyler Pitlick C Man had 2 goals last night, Now has 52 points in 46 games

Curtis Hamilton PF had a goal Wed night and was +3, he now has 56 Points in 43 games

This is of course exluding Hall, Omark, Eberle MPS who all have had WJHC experience...Omark and MPS played in the Swedish Elite League MPS as a 16yr old...so ya I think Oiler fans have a TON of talent to be excited by...until the Flamers prospects have the same kind of sucess I will continue to say their prospect pool is more of a birdbath....
Old 02-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Not sure if anyone is watching HNIC but they had a great intro tonight called the future of the league. Featured all the young talent from all over the league Skinner, Brassard, Price, Ennis, Karllson (Ottawa), Tavares, Grabner, Hall, Eberle and Paajarvi.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Martin Marancin D Man 1 goal last night now has 45 points in 46 games
If Marincin fills out his frame he could become scary good!!! The people of PG compare him to Chara!! Mind they have not seen all that much talent come through there over the years. He is a big bodied very mobile D man that sees the ice very well. He does have a mean streak but needs to bulk up before that will be too effective for him.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 PM

Oil Oil Oil HaHaHa
Old 02-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Oil Oil Oil HaHaHa [/QUOT

Take it easy huh if they finish last for 290 years they will have a future
Old 02-05-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
Oil Oil Oil HaHaHa [/QUOT

Take it easy huh if they finish last for 290 years they will have a future
Hey you dont need to tell me that my friend..Talk to that Kanon fool posting above
Old 02-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Hey you dont need to tell me that my friend..Talk to that Kanon fool posting above
what was our bet????, thinking it was that neither team would make the play offs for 3 years (correct me if I'm wrong)....right now the Flames remind me me of a horse at the track that goes off at 40/1 and I've got $5 on his nose, at the the 3/4 pole he looks great....at the finish line the trainer is out with a lantern looking for him....
Old 02-05-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
what was our bet????, thinking it was that neither team would make the play offs for 3 years (correct me if I'm wrong)....right now the Flames remind me me of a horse at the track that goes off at 40/1 and I've got $5 on his nose, at the the 3/4 pole he looks great....at the finish line the trainer is out with a lantern looking for him....
I dont remember what it was but if you treat me good for the next 3 years we will call it debt payed because you know the oil arent going to get a sniff of the playoffs for many years
Old 02-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I dont remember what it was but if you treat me good for the next 3 years we will call it debt payed because you know the oil arent going to get a sniff of the playoffs for many years
typical Flames fan...the bet is 1 1/2 years old now...so let's re-new the contract???? can u say Ollie??????....LOL
Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
typical Flames fan...the bet is 1 1/2 years old now...so let's re-new the contract???? can u say Ollie??????....LOL
On the up side he will drastically over pay as well though Hal!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Banned

Good game to be at tonight.
Fun to watch. Much more so than the last one I was at. God that stunk.
I really appreciated the Flames forecheck tonight. Though it didnt amount to much, the effort was there and I like to see that.

As of tonight, the Flames are in the Playoffs and only 2 points out of 4th.
Thanks to Ed for pulling some magic out of the hat and laying a beat down on the Preds.

Also got a very nice surprise for Willy and I tonight. Grampa Jim stepped up and bought his fav Grandson 2 tickets to the Heritage Classic. Decent seats for sure!

So I, being who I am stepped up and bought us all the gear.
We have 2 new jerseys and matching touqes.

Going to be a great day.. Who else is coming?

Jamie
Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 AM

was a great game , this team stays healthy look out'' tuff hard nose club.Wonder how did pardy get on ' hope its not serious . Go Flames Go.

Tags
ducks