Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 PM

Default Cold Lake Report

Was out at Cold lake this weekend and fishing was awesome. It was damn COLD, but fishing was still good. First day, managed 18 lakers. 3-10 lbs, lost a hog down deep. Second day i lucked out, as a beautiful little warm stretch blew through with some snow, which usually means better fishing. I was at a new spot i just eye balled (walked out from PP Drive on a few km, gotta love excersise) and it was insane. Couldnt get the jig down until noon, caught as many as i could fit in that time frame. There was no actual fishing time, just catching, on the way up, the way down, even leaving it on bottom to take a leak. Managed a 15 lber, lost one just as big, 3 around 10-12 lbs, got over a dozen around 7-8 lbs, and a bunch of average 3-6 lbers. No camera btw the entire trip, didnt have one to bring, and left the phone in the car, so that sucked. Could have made an insane "one shot" video catching big lakers. Once the front blew through and it cooled off and cleared up, fishing was slower but steadier, with a bite every 20 minutes or so. Managed at least 30 fish this day anyway. Day three was not too shabby, was fishing by 6:30 in the dark, didnt get a hit till 8:00. Its almost always this way, and they rarely bite in the dark i find. It was a bite every 13 minutes or so, pretty much to the minute. Very consistent. Quit by 11 as it was too fuc*** cold, landed about a dozen, all 3-8 lbs. Very impressed with this lake, will be going back soon forsure. Cheers!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:40 PM

great day fishing, will be heading out this weekend with my new 55ice cant wait.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:52 PM

Walked out from the PP boat launch ?( crazy !! ) Did you go east or north ? Sounds like you hit it right ! How deep ?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:38 PM

"Walked out from the PP boat launch ?( crazy !! )"
Haha you got it, did that on sunday and monday, friday i met up with 2 guys who had a truck. People driving by me looked at me like i was from another planet. In my mind, thats the real way to fish, and i enjoy my days more when i do some walking. it was about a 40 minute walk each way, so not bad. The snow was hard and crusted over enough so that walking actually wasnt too bad. I headed left when i walked on (North) and used the hydrographical chart as reference for depth and humps/dropoffs. It was about 90 feet deep. Ill be going back the weekend after next, and will post some pics/video hopefully.

Last edited by critter; 03-01-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:48 PM

Sounds like a heckuva weekends worth fishing. It is a plan of mine to get there some day for sure.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:10 PM

Gonna try hit it again thursday , if the snow doesn't get me. No fun being out there in a snow storm. Gotta love gps !