Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-16-2016, 06:37 PM

Default Campbell River help oct 6-9

Hi, on the weekend of October 8, I will be going on a one day fishing trip in Campbell River and am looking for advice to fill my other days with walk and wade/ shore fishing (fly or spin). I will ask my guide for some info but if by one can pass along any info please let me know.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:51 PM

Go to the river sportsman store in Campbell riverThey can tell you what's going up the river at that time, and they have a map with access points. They should be able to tell you if coho and Chinook are still being caught in the estuaries of the Campbell and oyster rivers. Further south in the Comox Valley, about 45 minutes south, to the qualicum (big and little) rivers, call Nile Creek flyshop to find out which estuaries or beaches are hot. That week should be good for coho if it cools off a bit. I'll be in the Comox Valley a week earlier, so if I find where they are, I'll post.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:02 AM

Sounds good, thanks for the info, I'll definitely stop in. Is it probably a good idea to bring a spin and fly rod?
Old 09-17-2016, 09:46 AM

River sportsmen r not your best choice
Sorry but they just don't have the knowledge
And rely on others

I fished the oyster yesterday no water the fish push up
The quinsam I fished on Wednesday lots of pinks in there
With some coho showing up

The puntlidge is low to. Fish r just starting
The beach fishing is slow

The rains started yesterday if it keeps up
There will be good water levels by time u get here
Old 09-17-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usie33 View Post
Sounds good, thanks for the info, I'll definitely stop in. Is it probably a good idea to bring a spin and fly rod?
Take both. For the fly rod take a 7 wt with a floating line, polycarbonate leaders in floating (depending if you are casting over thick eel grass in the estuary) intermediate and fast sinking. You might need a T12 sinking tip if you are fishing by the logging bridge on the Campbell river. Or use your spinning rod there.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Lucky bugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
River sportsmen r not your best choice
Sorry but they just don't have the knowledge
And rely on others

I fished the oyster yesterday no water the fish push up
The quinsam I fished on Wednesday lots of pinks in there
With some coho showing up

The puntlidge is low to. Fish r just starting
The beach fishing is slow

The rains started yesterday if it keeps up
There will be good water levels by time u get here
Good advice here!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-17-2016, 03:49 PM

Polyleaders are not made of polycarbonate.... Don't ask for that at any shop. But yes an intermediate tip is a good idea, and so is a extra super fast sink. There also isnt even a sink-tip in t-12.... again... don't ask for that at any shop.

T-tip material comes in t-8, t-11, t-14, t-17 and t-20. These are all marked for their grains per foot. A quick google search will give you an idea of their sink rates.

Coho and chinook will be in the Campbell River itself. You'll have coho off pretty much any beach with a feeder creek coming in. Black creek/Oyster both good bets nearby. They are extremely spooky. Watch for incoming tides around the estuary/river mouths. They like small clousers, epoxy minnows, or any needlefish or krill imitation. You want your clear intermediate sinking line or tip for beach fishing, along with long fluoro leaders.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:08 PM

Really good info guys, this helps a lot. I haven't been salmon fishing in years and have never fished from the beach for them, it will be a good experience. All help is greatly appreciated and I'll look into the sink tips as I have no clear ones. Are there certain colors that they are keen on this time of year or is it just dependent on weather/sun/cloud...
Old 10-09-2016, 08:44 PM

I've struck out on the beaches south of Buckley bay, tsable estuary, deep bay, qualicum bay,. North of Nile Creek (,Henson road,) there were some coho jumping. Four were caught Friday morning(not by me) using silver spoons with a slash of orange, two small ones on flies. Blu, purple and black muddlers didn't work. Cast to coho at Joe Walker park ( Buckley bay) with blue clousers and green streamers, no hits. The sealions were having a feed all weekend in front of me, at the tide changes. Should have gone into the puntledge river. Hope you had better luck.