Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Banned

Default $$$ whitetail allocations $$$

Anyone know what the average price of a rifle whitetail allocation is nowadays?
Old 03-04-2017, 06:24 PM

Unhappy sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
me i would have to say no i don't price of a rifle whitetail allocation is nowadays?
Old 03-04-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
All depends where you are. But from what I've seen lately they aren't worth what they used to be. I remember guys paying 16K a piece almost 20 years ago, and up to 24K ten years ago.
The last decent ones I saw were selling for 8K, but they were only decent, not good ones.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Banned

130$
Old 03-04-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post

130$
He didn't ask what the renewal or transfer fee was, he asked what people are paying for them.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Banned

Thanks guys,

Tork is correct, I was wondering about the cost of the allocation not the renewal.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys,

Tork is correct, I was wondering about the cost of the allocation not the renewal.
He knows. He just hates Outfitters and was making a crack about how allocations shouldn't be worth anything.

When in fact he's a total hypocrite, because he has no problem going to another country and hunting with an outfitter. Just not in Alberta, because Outfitters don't need money here to support their families and employees, but there they do.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
He knows. He just hates Outfitters and was making a crack about how allocations shouldn't be worth anything.

When in fact he's a total hypocrite, because he has no problem going to another country and hunting with an outfitter. Just not in Alberta, because Outfitters don't need money here to support their families and employees, but there they do.
I'm not sure of his motives but I wonder how many people feel it's ok to travel abroad and hunt/fish the four corners of the planet but don't think it's ok for others to come and hunt/fish here?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:01 PM

If we have game to spare of certain species, I have no issues with nonresidents coming here.

It's when our numbers are down and wait times are long for residents and resident youth that it's a tough pill to swallow.

Saskatchewan has a couple things right IMHO.

LC
Old 03-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Banned

The cost of the allocation is 130$. What it would cost you to buy an allocation off an outfitter is another story all together. Almost like crown lease land.

I like how you can compare outfitting here to outfitting in other parts of the world.
Like where else can a non resident hunt trophy antelope every year, where there is a mathematical impossibility of a newly applying resident ever get drawn for antelope in his lifetime?

Like where else is the outfitting association so vigilant as to policing their own members, nevermind the executives? Where is the sarcasm? there it is.

Alberta is a wonderful place to be an outfitter. But not an access restricted, license restricted tax paying resident hunter...

Just posted a fact and then this turns into a troll thread...
Old 03-04-2017, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
The cost of the allocation is 130$. What it would cost you to buy an allocation off an outfitter is another story all together. Almost like crown lease land.

I like how you can compare outfitting here to outfitting in other parts of the world.
Like where else can a non resident hunt trophy antelope every year, where there is a mathematical impossibility of a newly applying resident ever get drawn for antelope in his lifetime?

Like where else is the outfitting association so vigilant as to policing their own members, nevermind the executives? Where is the sarcasm? there it is.

Alberta is a wonderful place to be an outfitter. But not an access restricted, license restricted tax paying resident hunter...

Ok...... where can I buy the allocations for $130?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Alberta is the single greatest province/state in all of North America for resident hunting opportunities.

Name one better, and I'll never comment on this forum again.

Stop bitching about what you don't have, and be happy you have more then anybody else !!!

Jealousy is a wicked disease and it will consume you.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If we have game to spare of certain species, I have no issues with nonresidents coming here.

It's when our numbers are down and wait times are long for residents and resident youth that it's a tough pill to swallow.

LC
Exactly, if we have a general season with unlimited tags, I have no problem with non residents hunting big game here. But when a resident has to wait several years to draw a tag in a given wmu, then there should be no non residents hunting that species in that wmu. And you are correct, in that Saskatchewan does a better job at looking after the resident hunters.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:

Huh?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:34 PM

I knew of some last year that were for sale in 500/501 for 10,000$ each. There was some for sale in 514 lasy year aswell that were 12,500$ each
Old 03-04-2017, 09:38 PM

I know of some awesome tags close to Edmonton in a place I used to guide for $3K a piece. Easy to run that business and make money if you can book the hunts.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
I knew of some last year that were for sale in 500/501 for 10,000$ each. There was some for sale in 514 lasy year aswell that were 12,500$ each
Thanks, I was expecting them to be in the $10-$15k range as an average.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I know of some awesome tags close to Edmonton in a place I used to guide for $3K a piece. Easy to run that business and make money if you can book the hunts.
Seriously?
Old 03-04-2017, 10:00 PM

Yes serious. They have come down from $20K since the day my buddy sold them and are now sitting at $3K and could probably get them for a little less. Think there are 13 of them. Great zone as well. Killed a pile of big deer there years ago.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:16 PM

It isn't hard to get the list of stuff for sale guys....
Just looked and there are 4 tags in 242 for $4K as well.
Some guys are selling them for next to nothing because they can't book hunters. Some are still going for a decent price because they are still able to book hunters.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Alberta is the single greatest province/state in all of North America for resident hunting opportunities.

Stop bitching about what you don't have, and be happy you have more then anybody else !!!

Is Alaska a state? The Yukon technically isn't a province so you've got me there.

I personally appreciate the Sask loyalty to resident hunters, and would like to see a similar program in Alberta for high priority areas.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Yes serious. They have come down from $20K since the day my buddy sold them and are now sitting at $3K and could probably get them for a little less. Think there are 13 of them. Great zone as well. Killed a pile of big deer there years ago.
Which WMU nube?
Old 03-04-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post
Is Alaska a state? The Yukon technically isn't a province so you've got me there.

I personally appreciate the Sask loyalty to resident hunters, and would like to see a similar program in Alberta for high priority areas.
Alaska is a state yes, but good luck killing a cougar, bighorn sheep, Antelope, whitetail, mule deer, elk, bobcat or turkey there 😉

Yukon is much the same. They have a few we don't, but we have more available by far.

BC is real close, but their resident draws are pure lottery, which sucks and allows some to draw more often, and others to draw less.

Alberta has the best diversity and fairest system by far.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Alaska is a state yes, but good luck killing a cougar, bighorn sheep, Antelope, whitetail, mule deer, elk, bobcat or turkey there 😉

Yukon is much the same. They have a few we don't, but we have more available by far.

BC is real close, but their resident draws are pure lottery, which sucks and allows some to draw more often, and others to draw less.

Alberta has the best diversity and fairest system by far.
Then again, good luck killing a dall sheep, grizzly, caribou, or sitka blacktail deer in Alberta, and there are more than a few token goat tags issued in Alaska. Realistically, what are your odds of killing a goat in Alberta? And what are the odds of a new hunter drawing a pronghorn tag in Alberta.? He may get lucky and draw one tag in a lifetime and then again, he may not . And you can hunt elk in Alaska.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-05-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
It isn't hard to get the list of stuff for sale guys....
Just looked and there are 4 tags in 242 for $4K as well.
Some guys are selling them for next to nothing because they can't book hunters. Some are still going for a decent price because they are still able to book hunters.
Ya, whitetail hunts are going for $4500us and up WHERE THERE ARE DEER, kind of hard to sell a hunt where they've all been culled LOL!!!

Do they come with a bridge?
Old 03-05-2017, 07:51 AM

Outfitter allocations have been a very high contributor to lack of hunting opportunity for me where I hunt.

The big game species we have in Alberta has absolutely nothing to do with outfitter allocations.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-05-2017, 08:13 AM

How do you find out how many allocated tags there is for a certain wmu. A guy I know is offering moose hunt in 320 $6000 for a week long hunt. You have to be minimum P8 For a tag in this zone. Just wondering how many moose from my home zone go to the u.s.a ? I don't mind when a guy guide on his own private property or goes out to crown land but when you get a guide running around getting all the lease land he can get all the private land he can get Cuz he has nothing but time to talk to evry land owner. Then we have a problem. Funny thing is most will not tell land owners that they plan to guide on the land they just want to hunt it. Then they chase out any other hunter who comes around. Not to mention all the shady things that some will do... like trespassing to push elk and deer out of property they didn't get permission on....
Old 03-05-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
X3
Old 03-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:

Tork, I don't want you to stop commenting but nearby BC has far more hunting oppurtunities for resident hunters then AB does. I don't know what it's like in other province's or states.
And before some people start nit-picking about BC's draw system, or their game quota or other reg details, I'm not saying that everything about hunting in BC is better Then AB, but BC residents definently have much hunting oppurtunities then residents in AB.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Tork, I don't want you to stop commenting but nearby BC has far more hunting oppurtunities for resident hunters then AB does. I don't know what it's like in other province's or states.
And before some people start nit-picking about BC's draw system, or their game quota or other reg details, I'm not saying that everything about hunting in BC is better Then AB, but BC residents definently have much hunting oppurtunities then residents in AB.
There draw system puts them behind us. A lottery draw for all moose that aren't way north where you have no clue whether you will get a tag or not.

Their bighorn opportunities aren't even remotely close to what we have

They don't have antelope

Their Whitetail and Mule deer opportunities are about 10-15% of what we have here

They definitely have a few species we don't, but for availability we have the best system there is. And our priority draw is the envy of everybody, we know almost exactly when we are going to hunt and can plan out multiple years in advance