Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 AM

Default Flathead lake Montana...

Has anyone ever been down there? I was trying to get a decent fishing trip for early April, somewhere with boat rentals for a buddy's stag. I spoke with a guy who runs a charter for flathead and he said April is a great time to go Down but Montana isn't very far south so I'm not sure how warm it would be.

Has anyone ever gone to this lake ? Is it worth the time?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 AM

was there 4 years ago.....lots of decent Macks....p.s wd40 is popular down there
Old 03-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Flathead is great for lakers and whitefish along with about anything else that swims in the West. Good numbers and size if you know what you're doing. I'd plan on the weather being fair in April but you never know. Flathead is big water so depending on where you're fishing on the lake make sure you have plenty of boat underneath you. I've been run off in a 17 footer. If you're out with a charter they'll know what to use but I've never gone wrong with Flatfish or Quickfish. Jigging is also effective. Worst case - you can't beat the Flathead Valley for scenery.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:58 PM

weve caugth a TON of fish in that lake camped there for 1 week and nailed tons of specis.
the largies were eating topwaters at night.
macs jigiig in the deepwaters
we caught some kokanee and 3-4 other trout species on a woolybugger including smallies. we couldnt get the bass to bite persistantly though