Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-29-2009, 08:51 AM

Default How to renew your pal

So my pal is do for renewal in the next year and i want to renew it but am unsure how to do that. I went to the sticky in this forum but it didnt seem to take me to anywhere that i can renew my pal.any help would be great thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:01 AM

Go to the CFC website.

Download and print the "Apply for Licence"

Its free until May of next year
Old 09-29-2009, 09:02 AM
sheephunter

It's a good time to renew or upgrade.....

Important information for firearms licence holders!!
Renewing a POL or PAL is free until May 16, 2010. The fee waiver also applies to individuals:

who are upgrading from a POL to a PAL
who are adding new privileges to their licence
whose licence expired and are obtaining a new licence
who are minors and who renew their minors possession licence
Please do not send a cheque along with a firearms licence renewal application form. Licence holders who have inadvertently paid the renewal fee will be refunded.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm
Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 AM

I've got a question.

My PAL expired in 2005. I was focussed on other things, and never renewed it. After that long a lapse, do I need to go through the whole process again (write the exam, etc.) to have it renewed?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 AM
sheephunter

If you've passed the test and have proof of that, you are good for life from what I understand.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 AM

I've emailed them to find out what if I have to do anything different with a lapse that long. I was going to take the course with my son, as he would like to gets his (youth) license. But, if I don't need to write the exam again I might just send him off on his own to do the course.

I'll pass on whatever the response is, as I'm sure I'm not the only person who has let it lapse that badly. I just had the non-restricted, as I got it about six months before the restricted license was available and never bothered to get the restricted after it was available.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:30 AM

It really annoys me when I can't go back and edit my posts, instead of posting a new one.

Anyhoo, spoke to a lady at this number: 1-800-731-4000

I learned that once a license is expired, it can NOT be renewed. To get a license after your license has expired you need to fill out form CAFC 921 (Application for a Possession and Acquisition License).

The lady I spoke to confirmed (using my name and DOB) that my safety information is stored on their computer, so I don't need to re-write the test. I just need to put "On File" under the section on "Safety Training Information." I think I still need to produce references and have a photo guarantor. Sucks, but at least it won't cost me anything (she confirmed that it was free, as I'd previously held a PAL).

Old 09-29-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
If you've passed the test and have proof of that, you are good for life from what I understand.
That is correct.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:48 PM

I was due for renewal this year and the CFC sent the new application in the mail about three months before hand.