Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2009, 11:39 AM
brook trout

Default pike advice

this last bit of summer is going to be a bit of pike fishing for me. im not sure how to catch them. my first pike came at moose lake near bonnyville i just kept casting for like two hours (i was a real enthusiast back than) then wham a pike gobbled my lure and i lifted it out of the water the rod broke but i was like screaming cause i was so excited. but i just wondering what works best at this time of year? spoons? was thinking of picking up some of those. mostly dock fishing but soem boat fishing.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:51 AM

Hey Brook, yep keep it simple and rather inexpensive grab a hand full of len thompson spoons 5 o diamonds, red devil, orange/black spots and cast away.
you'll catch ém guaranteed.

good luck
Old 07-31-2009, 11:56 AM

Ya, moose knuckle knows what hes doing... August can be a little tougher to find the bigger pike as they are usually hiding in the cooler water... but you should be able to get into plenty of hammer handles.... enjoy! Remember to use a wire leader as those teeth will cut through mono in a second!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:08 PM

If you have access to a boat, just throw on a spoon and troll it along weedlines. And if you have sonar, find some good structure and work those areas too!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Banned

Type the name of this thread into the "search" feature on this sight and you will come up with about 20x the information you will get from posting it as a thread.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:19 PM

If your trolling, try some of the rattlin rapala or husky jerk plugs. Trolling along the edge of a drop off has worked for me in the past.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:10 PM

Hey broohtrout, I have a plastic frog ( frenzy ) that the back legs twril around on it. It is deadly in Medicine Lake and Cow lake here by Rocky. It is a blast to see pike come up and slam it, as long as you land it right on shore and pop it into the water and reel it back. Yes I have used this lure when it is 30deg out and it worked like a charm even when spoons dont. Cheers and good hunting the slew shark
Old 07-31-2009, 05:14 PM

Default Cell Phone Lure

Tie big hook to your old cell phone while trolling. It worked for me at Devils Lake near Onaway ! When in doubt always try some new.
Happy Fishin !
Old 07-31-2009, 05:33 PM

The bigger pike are laying low in deep water these days, however, there are still some small to mediums actively feeding near weed lines in 8 - 15 feet of water. Get a spoon/jig/rapala out to them and they'll bite. Retrieve as slowly as you can without getting into snag trouble.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:34 PM

Terminator Spinnerbaits.
Pick any colour with orange, green, chartreuse, white, and red