Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-31-2013, 06:58 PM

I am starting to think that this fly swap isn't going to happen. I feel sorry for all those that put in flys.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I am starting to think that this fly swap isn't going to happen. I feel sorry for all those that put in flys.
Gee ya think,only 6 months overdue on a 2 week swap.

No surprise,3 outta 5 AO flyswaps that I participated in last spring went to shiite,as in weeks and months overdue.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Gee ya think,only 6 months overdue on a 2 week swap.

No surprise,3 outta 5 AO flyswaps that I participated in last spring went to shiite,as in weeks and months overdue.
Well is seems that the two that I participated in last year worked out. With odds like that I don't think I am going to offer to do a pike fly swap this winter, I wanted to.
To bad some people are can't get their chit together to make it happen or they never intended to forward them on and just wanted a cheap 12 dozen flies. Anyway its a loss for all of us.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:51 PM

This is the only swap that hasn't worked out for, I am not that fussed over losing a couple of flies. More frustrated with the lack of communication and disappointed with not being able to see everyone's patterns.

There is a another DRock on the Flyfishing forum who has been active with some of the same circumstances of the DRock here. I sent him a PM on the Ffc forum the other day so we will see if he responds

To the other poster, if you are serious about a Pike fly Swap you can count me in
Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Banned

As I recall both yourselves OITB and Kritofr were in the streamer swap I hosted,which wwent smoothly and on schedule with a nice buncha useable flies submitted,thank you both.
The other that went well was chronie swap hosted from Okotoks,sorry,cant recall host's name at the moment??
The other 3 swaps that I was in ran anywhere from 4weeks to 4 months(?) overdue with extended deadlines,AWOL host etc.
So that said,only once outa 4x that I mailed flies off did the swap flies return in a timely manner,the other I hosted myself.
With that,I'd say I'm done with AO flyswaps,too many fly by nighters,no pun intended.
Other flytying forums I frequent generally have strict rules in regards to swaps,and aren't afraid to call out tardy and no-show swappers,sometimes even posting a sticky blacklist/wall of shame that identifies the offenders.....something I've suggested here in the past outta frustration that seems to have fallen on deaf ears?
I'm not saying I will NEVER participate in another AO swap,but I'll likely be the 12th man in after looking over the sign-up list and identifying long time,reliable members?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
As I recall both yourselves OITB and Kritofr were in the streamer swap I hosted,which wwent smoothly and on schedule with a nice buncha useable flies submitted,thank you both.
The other that went well was chronie swap hosted from Okotoks,sorry,cant recall host's name at the moment??
The other 3 swaps that I was in ran anywhere from 4weeks to 4 months(?) overdue with extended deadlines,AWOL host etc.
So that said,only once outa 4x that I mailed flies off did the swap flies return in a timely manner,the other I hosted myself.
With that,I'd say I'm done with AO flyswaps,too many fly by nighters,no pun intended.
Other flytying forums I frequent generally have strict rules in regards to swaps,and aren't afraid to call out tardy and no-show swappers,sometimes even posting a sticky blacklist/wall of shame that identifies the offenders.....something I've suggested here in the past outta frustration that seems to have fallen ondeaf ears?
I'm not saying I will NEVER participate in another AO swap,but I'll likely be the 12th man in after looking over the sign-up list and identifying long time,reliable members?
If you want to pm myself and OITB one of those forums, I know I would join and participate in more fly swaps. Just finished up organizing a new tying desk so I am eager to tie
Old 01-01-2014, 11:11 PM

I hosted a stillwater swap that went perfectly! Its a shame to see guys do this.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:38 AM

This is the first swap I've been a part of. A little disapointed. I am interested in doing more. If you guys like, you can pm me and I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:44 AM

FYI:

I noticed that the organizer of the swap has posted quite a few times in the last little while on the Fly Fish Calgary forum. Maybe he is back and able to complete this swap for you guys.

Hope it gets done for you guys. Grinr did a great job on the streamer swap and I was most impressed with the flies. All of them caught a fish for me this past season.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM

I have been involved in a few swaps. The first swap went almost seamlessly. Second was months late and then I hosted one which there were 3 members who were months late and eventually I just ended up splitting up what I had and sending everything back. I had initially signed up for this swap but then messaged the host and said because of bad experiences I did not want in any longer. And I probably won't do another swap again.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyJ View Post
FYI:

I noticed that the organizer of the swap has posted quite a few times in the last little while on the Fly Fish Calgary forum. Maybe he is back and able to complete this swap for you guys.

Hope it gets done for you guys. Grinr did a great job on the streamer swap and I was most impressed with the flies. All of them caught a fish for me this past season.
Pm'd the DRock on the FFC forum and he replied it was not him
Old 05-20-2014, 03:34 PM

So did you guys ever get the fly's???? If not maybe he should get banned from here and the other forum.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
So did you guys ever get the fly's???? If not maybe he should get banned from here and the other forum.
No nothing, I did PM the DRock on the Ffc forum and he claims he is not the same fellow who organized the swap.

It sucks, but what can you do?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:12 AM

I'm 100% sure its the same guy. Too bad he walked away with over 100 flys that took people time, effort and $$$ to make.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:25 PM

You only get banned if you comment on pictures of poor fish handling and illegal practice. using the forum to steal from members seems to be ok.