Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-06-2011, 09:50 AM

Default What I need to ask the Jolly ole Fat guy...

I have decieded to try fish in the ice. If I really like it, and thinkin I will.. Santa will have to be good to me !!

I dont know alot of folks that actually wanna freeze there bridges outside on a lake...certaintly not my gal pals..
I read on a few sites and some say, get 2 poles, one bright green one black, lamps, propane bottles, and so on ...

What really do I need to start out with, the essentials for a day out.
Talking about augers alot here, Im only 4ft 9 and not a whole lot of turbo in these short arms of mine. Can see myself running after it across someone elses hole and tearing their tent to shreds..Would a manual one be more suitable one for me? I would be going with my husbnd, but then there will be times I go alone. So Im not too sure of Just what I really need to take along.
All I have is a 2500 duromax silverado.

Thanks Men .. and Ladies
Old 11-06-2011, 10:07 AM

I'm sure you will get many responses about starting out ice fishing Tara cause it can be a lot of fun & always nice to bring a new frozen fisherperson into the fold lol. The most important thing to get is some good outdoor clothing; you need to be comfortable or else all the best gadgets won't mean a hill of beans if your cold, grumpy, & sitting in the truck trying to thaw out! Warm waterproof boots, a couple different thermal values worth of socks, thermal underwear, & some sort of overalls is nice. Layer your upper body so you can shed clothes throughout the day as needed; I usually wear a couple hooded pullovers followed by some sort of weatherproof/windproof outer shell. Toque of course, & finally it's not a bad idea to get some sort of waterproof gloves if you plan to do a lot of fishing outside a vehicle or tent like tip-up fishing or jigging.

I'll leave the technical stuff to the other guys. Tight lines
Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 AM

I used a manual auger for years... It sucks, especially when the blades get dull and your out on the lake with no way to sharpen them or replace them.. but it did the job for me for like 4 years. Depending on what your ice-fishing for you will want a rod probably.. I use my hands, but thats besides the point.. most people use rods... bait for pike (by itself or on a jig/spoon), jigs/small spoons tipped with bait for trout/perch, wireworm for whites. If your fishing for pike you could always get some tip-ups too.. I love my tip-ups. Nothin better than seeing that flag fly up and your spool spinning.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:04 PM

Basic list will be a heat source the one you pick will be upb to you alot of recomendations on particular brand/types. Since u have a larger truck i recomand a sled of sorts for gear. An ice tent can be a huge asset keeps in the warm and the wind and light out. Rods are a good tool for most beginners id grab a light set up for smaller game and a medium heavy to heavy rod as well for.bigger gake if ur adventerous grab some tip ups im not sure wuere ur located but if ur near the edmonton area i have alot of gear u can try out and id bex more than happy to take u and ur husband out. I have both a gas and hand auger i fing.tue gas auger can be essential in late season with 36-48" of ice ev3n with sharp blades on the flip side you can always get a drill adapter for a hand auger if your smaller once ur driving out a power.inverter will be ur best friend then u can charge ur batteries for ur drill or use a corded drill. Early ice i use my hand auger as its lighter and the dryill can still be used if cordless. Ultimately its your choice how serious u wanna get but i recomend finding some company of the experienced ice fishermen out here and see which gear u like that they have. Hope this helps
Old 11-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
Basic list will be a heat source the one you pick will be upb to you alot of recomendations on particular brand/types. Since u have a larger truck i recomand a sled of sorts for gear. An ice tent can be a huge asset keeps in the warm and the wind and light out. Rods are a good tool for most beginners id grab a light set up for smaller game and a medium heavy to heavy rod as well for.bigger gake if ur adventerous grab some tip ups im not sure wuere ur located but if ur near the edmonton area i have alot of gear u can try out and id bex more than happy to take u and ur husband out. I have both a gas and hand auger i fing.tue gas auger can be essential in late season with 36-48" of ice ev3n with sharp blades on the flip side you can always get a drill adapter for a hand auger if your smaller once ur driving out a power.inverter will be ur best friend then u can charge ur batteries for ur drill or use a corded drill. Early ice i use my hand auger as its lighter and the dryill can still be used if cordless. Ultimately its your choice how serious u wanna get but i recomend finding some company of the experienced ice fishermen out here and see which gear u like that they have. Hope this helps

Yes. Indeed you did help me out !! I will start out with a lighter weight rod. Im more into trout right now. I was wondering if the sled would be a better way on the ice with all my stuff.
Thank you for the advice, and for invite for meeting my husband and I. Its really hard to head north in the winter, I honestly hate the QEW from Calgary ..
Old 11-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara_13 View Post
Yes. Indeed you did help me out !! I will start out with a lighter weight rod. Im more into trout right now. I was wondering if the sled would be a better way on the ice with all my stuff.
Thank you for the advice, and for invite for meeting my husband and I. Its really hard to head north in the winter, I honestly hate the QEW from Calgary ..
I also head south so perhaps ill shoot u a pm when im goin fishing down that way
Old 11-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Tara. When i saw your heading I thought you were planning on asking me for something! Good luck with Santa, no doubt a better choice. Stay warm is the best advice you can get for ice fishing. Rick.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:52 AM

A sled, is very useful if there is any walking involved in getting to your spot, so it is prettuy much required.

You could get away with a manual auger for sure no bigger than 6", 2 seasons ago when I bought it my kid could quite easily handle by himself, and at that point he was not that much bigger than you and skinny enough to blow away in a stron wind. But at the end f the winter there would be some turbo in those arms. if your just fishing stocked trout lakes you could probably get away with a 4".

I would recomend a tent as well, good cloths are important, but nothing beats actually warm. One of those 2 person sled & seat flip over all in ones, though I do wonder if it would be heavy for you.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:10 AM

Tara lots for you to get, but dont forget ice safety gear such as ice picks to help you get out of the water(hopefully not ever needed), and cleats(slipping).
A throw rope like those used in boating would be good to have on hand as well.

ice rods
tip ups
auger(power or manual)
ice scoop
tent-flip up or pop up.
Cold weather clothing(mentioned)
ice lines
Sonar(conventional or flasher)
Underwater camera(so much fun)
lures
Sled(mentioned)

Just the tip of the iceberg.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Gone Hunting

4'9" eh? I wouldn't bother with a tent. I'd just go to the brick and get a large appliance box. Cut a door in it and bring a wee camp stool and you should be good to go.
Hope this helps.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Tara, when we started we had rods, a hand auger, ice scoop, and a bucket.

We used the bucket to carry everything in and then flipped it over to sit on it while we fished. That's all we had and we had a blast.

We now have a lot more and it seems as if we take the whole darn house with us when we go

Start with the basics, see how you like it, and then slowly build up your supplies.

Happy fishing!!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:51 AM

I first went on ice here with a hand auger, one med. rod, my summer bag and my daughter's sled, had good time that's all I need to fish, but....
Then I got more rods, sonar, Santa brought me a tent - makes more difference than I thought
Now I have a power auger - drilling 8in holes for me and my son sucked in late season (~6in with offset handles used to be just fine with me 20 years ago). I also have a Jet Sled to pull all that.
If I can only get a heater I may start living on the lake

Last edited by ak-71; 11-07-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
4'9" eh? I wouldn't bother with a tent. I'd just go to the brick and get a large appliance box. Cut a door in it and bring a wee camp stool and you should be good to go.
Hope this helps.
ha ha.. I have heard them all... but I honestly think your coment is really funny and actually... doesnt seem like a bad idea. !!! Seiously. I could save myself a couple hund bucks, Just need a good solid Refigarator box.. cut a door a small window like the size of a oreo cookie to snoop of course, then drap a tarp over for the wind protection...
Old 11-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeNoah View Post

We used the bucket to carry everything in and then flipped it over to sit on it while we fished. That's all we had and we had a blast.

We now have a lot more and it seems as if we take the whole darn house with us when we go

Start with the basics, see how you like it, and then slowly build up your supplies.

Happy fishing!!
Then this is what I will get. I will try to park close to get warmed up. But other than that.. If this wont catch me some trout, probably, nothing will....
Thank you
Old 11-07-2011, 02:20 PM

I know you said your mosty into trout but early season whitefish is an absolute hoot (first ice to mid december). There are a number of lakes close to Calgary that would work did it for the first time last season myself one of my funnest fishing days ever.

Absolutly iching to go
Old 11-07-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeNoah View Post

Happy fishing!!
This is great advice to someone starting out. I would also recommend either a piece of carpet or rubber etc. to rest your feet on. Getting a layer of insulation between your feet and the ice will help keep your feet warmer, longer, especially if you're sitting in one spot for a while.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:45 PM

Thank you guys for all the advice and humours advice you had for me. !! Maybe I'll meet up with you and you can help me in one of my messes.. and that I can guarentee you... LOL

Thanks agian
Old 11-07-2011, 03:16 PM

Default !!!

HEY TARA!!!!
1st, i gotta say you ROCK!!!! i need you to talk to my wife and get her into fishing too!!!
as for gear, lots of peeps "need" all the gadgets and junk....not necessary. you'll need a manual auger, a basic ice rod and reel combo, and some variety of hooks. THAT'S IT!!!!!
i wouldn't go buying a ton of stuff until you try it and like it.
YES it's great to have cool toys like power augers, fish finders, tents, heaters, etc., etc. but NOT necessity!!!
for years i used just a hatchet and broke through old holes by hand and still did great. keep it simple, have fun, and you can always improve your gear a piece at a time each year if you decide you like it!
cheers, gw
Old 11-07-2011, 05:49 PM

OOps I thought this was a chubdarter thread from the title

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 PM

But seriously Tara, go out with experienced people a few times, and borrow gear, then you can get an idea of what will work for you before you spend a lot of cash.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara_13 View Post
ha ha.. I have heard them all... but I honestly think your coment is really funny and actually... doesnt seem like a bad idea. !!! Seiously. I could save myself a couple hund bucks, Just need a good solid Refigarator box.. cut a door a small window like the size of a oreo cookie to snoop of course, then drap a tarp over for the wind protection...
can you let me know when and where you are going to ice fish in a big box with a sail, I want to come video tape it. I suggest we do it at one end of Pine Coulee Reservoir. during a chinook when its a little warmer.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Love to Wildman, have her PM me and who know's.. We could out beat you fishing !!
Just for fun that is...

And for you Wayne, you'll be the 1st to know.. I will definitly go with someone the 1st few times. Just because I dont have a clue and 2nd, I want to stay dry !!
But now Im getting pretty excited to try this new adventure.
If you see one with a monkey drawn on the back of the box and my welcome mat in the front of the door, that would be me. So you may wanna knock on my swinging brown door and see if Im doing this right...

But I thought Pine coulee is closed til spring. Thats the closet place to me besides Glenmore Res.
While waiting on the ice.. Thurs. suppose to be 10-11 out. So Im going to take advantage of this fine weather and go shore fishing !
Old 11-07-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
OOps I thought this was a chubdarter thread from the title

lol...come on WC post up lasts years pic of the Iceman, show her how much fun icefishing can be
Old 11-07-2011, 09:17 PM

ahh this one? taken on a lovely warm winters day. At least she doesnt have a mustache to frost up,she doesnt look Italian anyways

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
ahh this one? taken on a lovely warm winters day. At least she doesnt have a mustache to frost up,she doesnt look Italian anyways

Oh Boy...ice fishing looks fun.....cant wait
wheres the pics of your epic stuck? Post those pics and no one will ice fish this year....lake all to yourself
Old 11-09-2011, 04:03 AM

1 - Ice auger (6" manual) get a good one tho and not a cheep one. ( up to 24" of ice) at most for you alone.
2 - 2X 5 gal buckets, one for your catch of fish the other to sit on.
3 - very warm clothes
4 - 6" x 1.5" x 1/2" stick, with a V grove cut on each end and wrap line around, use a thick elastic band so line does not unwrap. Make a few and you dont have to retie hooks. Pc of hockey stick works good.
5 - thermos of hot chocolate or other cold warming liquids.
6 - various hooks. ( 20 at most to start)
7 - ice scoop

This is the bare esentials that you would need. You can buy a cheap black plastic bag made for ice fishing for pulling over your self for the wind protection and seeing down the hole. ( maybe even make one out of heavy black cloth). Dress for windy conditions with hoods and stuff. A 10 km wind on the ice can very nasty with the wind chills on the ice. All this stuff can be carried in two hands with most in the bucket in one hand, and the auger in the other when walking on the ice. Later on if you like it you can buy a good tent, heater and power auger. $100 will get you going with the auger beeing the most cost. After you have been sucsessfull once you wont see winter the same. In August you will be thinking about frozen lakes. LOL When that time comes closer, check and see if someone in your area that has all the right equipment, will let you tag along. I would take you and your husband but I'm in Edmonton and I think your in the Calgary area.

Last edited by Kim473; 11-09-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:48 AM

Check in the buy and sell area, there might be a tent and or auger cheep for you. You can post wanted also. Your husband may even be able to build a tent on the cheap with a few ideas of what others have built. Some very nice home built sled/tents.