Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-11-2013, 02:49 PM

Default 3 chironimids?

Hello everyone. I've been trying to use chironimids more this year, and have been having some pretty good success. If you could only use 3 different chironimid patterns, what would they be. I've had good luck on:
1/ Brassie, size 12.
2/ Green back pheasant, size 12.
3/ Green ice cream cone, size 14.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:27 PM

I think if you posted pics of your favorite chironomids it would work better. Most fly names are pretty generic.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 PM

My Three Most Productive Performers:

Old 08-11-2013, 08:47 PM

What finish do you coat those with John? Also could you describe your photo setup, nice pics!!

Thomas Sowell

Last edited by pikergolf; 08-11-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:21 AM

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-12-2013, 06:47 PM

1. Chromie
2. Liquid Lace Bloodworm
3. Ice Cream Cone in black or olive.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
What finish do you coat those with John? Also could you describe your photo setup, nice pics!!
Finish is Clear Cure Goo Hydros with a coat of original Sally Hansens Hard As Nails over top but you can also achieve the same with three coats of Sally but it's crucial that you let each coat dry completely before applying the next.

Photo setup is nothing special with the exception that I use a point and shoot with 17mp. I use the macro feature and then crop on line.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
Finish is Clear Cure Goo Hydros with a coat of original Sally Hansens Hard As Nails over top but you can also achieve the same with three coats of Sally but it's crucial that you let each coat dry completely before applying the next.

Photo setup is nothing special with the exception that I use a point and shoot with 17mp. I use the macro feature and then crop on line.
If you are using macro, I'm guessing no flash? Natural light?

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-12-2013, 08:53 PM

Default 3 chironimids

Those are some awesome looking patterns. Damn, I wish I could tie my own like those.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Practice , lots of practice. fella
some lessons usually helps too. Join a fly fishing club that offers free fly tying lessons.
Columbia old guy
Old 08-30-2013, 11:23 AM

Default chronamids

The last 3 pictures are some of the best patterns you can use. Size 12 to 20. I substitute the black bead heads for gun metal and white and most of my patterns are tied on scud hooks as in the pictures. Added to these patterns would be a body in red with a silver wire wrap and a black or gun metal bead. I have been using the same patterns for the last 30 years.
Columbia Old Guy
Old 08-30-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
The last 3 pictures are some of the best patterns you can use. Size 12 to 20. I substitute the black bead heads for gun metal and white and most of my patterns are tied on scud hooks as in the pictures. Added to these patterns would be a body in red with a silver wire wrap and a black or gun metal bead. I have been using the same patterns for the last 30 years.
Columbia Old Guy
For all the choronomids I have tied, these three are about all that gets used, the last is my favorite, no bead, about six wraps of .015 lead for weight.

Thomas Sowell