Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-06-2017, 04:39 PM

Default Heading to NZ in mid-Feb

Looking for any advice from folks that have fished there.

Fresh or Salt.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:50 PM
Banned

Try a spoon?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170713_090032.jpg (43.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Try a spoon?
I love spoons.

I'm a spoonman.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:51 AM
Banned

Seems a no brainer to me that you would ask the locals once you get there.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:29 AM

Default NZ

I have looked at videos of fishing in NZ......man if I could- that would be a destination for me. Plenty of guides and advice both on line and there as well....enjoy and post lots of huge trout pix.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:20 AM

Lots of info on the websites. Look up New Zealand Fish and Game.

Looks like no felt soled boots and make sure equipment is clean and dry.

I would book a guide, just sayin'.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:22 AM

Maybe check out the Jensen's website.

They fish there a lot and perhaps they have put up some tips.

http://flyfishalberta.com/jensenflyf...y/new-zealand/
Old 11-07-2017, 12:27 PM

Contact Southernman on here via PM he ives in NZ but is working here
Cat
Old 11-07-2017, 02:34 PM

Where are you gonna be and for how long. There is good fishing everywhere in New Zealand. Lots of info on line but don’t think you have to go to all the spots on a top ten list or anything. So much water there with so much good fish salt or freshwater. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in nz. And a bit of fishing there as well. I’m gonna be there in January. Also you don’t need a guide. I personally like to learn things myself. It’s a lot more satisfying and so far I haven’t gone somewhere I wasn’t rewarded for my efforts. Do some research and talk to locals. But it is not that hard to find fishy places down there and if you need access you won’t find friendlier people.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:46 PM

Also check out mikefsher on YouTube. If that doesn’t excite you nothing will
Old 11-07-2017, 03:01 PM

I fished both islands for 1.5 months about 15 years ago. The fishing was exceptional and I was unguided. When I was there I found information was freely available as they promote NZ as a tourist fishing destination. I was there for the cicada fishing in the north that lived up to its reputation. As for patters: the usual nymphs produce there as they do here. As usual - the more you buy there the more information the shops will give. Some of the best fishing I had was around lake taupo at the many creek and river mouth fishing small baitfish patterns on a type 5 tip - I did this for a week straigh and did not get bored

For the big browns - it really is hunting. The game there is to slowly walk the shores looking for cruising / feeding fish and targeting them appropriately. You will here and read a lot of talk about how spooky they are in almost mythical terms - don’t let this scare you off, I found them to be no different than any other brown across North America.

It is an awesome place - I hope to get back
Old 11-07-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
I fished both islands for 1.5 months about 15 years ago. The fishing was exceptional and I was unguided. When I was there I found information was freely available as they promote NZ as a tourist fishing destination. I was there for the cicada fishing in the north that lived up to its reputation. As for patters: the usual nymphs produce there as they do here. As usual - the more you buy there the more information the shops will give. Some of the best fishing I had was around lake taupo at the many creek and river mouth fishing small baitfish patterns on a type 5 tip - I did this for a week straigh and did not get bored

For the big browns - it really is hunting. The game there is to slowly walk the shores looking for cruising / feeding fish and targeting them appropriately. You will here and read a lot of talk about how spooky they are in almost mythical terms - don’t let this scare you off, I found them to be no different than any other brown across North America.

It is an awesome place - I hope to get back
Thanks for the info.

Did you mean cruising browns in Taupo? Or somewhere else?

I'll be in Taupo primarily, but have the option to go anywhere else I want.

Might hit the hydro canals for a 49lb bow.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
Thanks for the info.

Did you mean cruising browns in Taupo? Or somewhere else?

I'll be in Taupo primarily, but have the option to go anywhere else I want.

Might hit the hydro canals for a 49lb bow.
The brown ‘hunting’ was mostly in the mountain stream. But around taupo the tongariro is excellent - and there were literally dozens of other river in the area but the names escape me at the moment
Old 11-09-2017, 04:47 PM

I explored the South island and loved it. Fishing the rivers and creeks was much tougher than back home, the trout were smart and only took a perfect presentation

The Lakes and Reservoirs were my favourite. Great fishing and absolute hogs. I saw fish crusing the windswept shorelines from the cliffs above that looked like the world record Triploids from Dief

I was there during their worst drought in decades to I'm sure the river fishing is much better typically

Some nice European Perch have naturalized there too!

And watch out for the eels in the rivers!!
Old 11-09-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
I explored the South island and loved it. Fishing the rivers and creeks was much tougher than back home, the trout were smart and only took a perfect presentation

The Lakes and Reservoirs were my favourite. Great fishing and absolute hogs. I saw fish crusing the windswept shorelines from the cliffs above that looked like the world record Triploids from Dief

I was there during their worst drought in decades to I'm sure the river fishing is much better typically

Some nice European Perch have naturalized there too!

And watch out for the eels in the rivers!!

Which lakes had those monsters?
Old 11-10-2017, 03:53 AM

There is good fishing around river and lake fishing around Taupo. Good lakes to be fished in the Rotorua area. I live in Whakatane and we have some great rivers around here to fish. Mid February will give you a shot at Marlin and hopefully Yellowfin Tuna in the salt. Feel free to pm me.
regards,
Gary
Old 11-13-2017, 02:04 AM

I am back in NZ at the moment, what are you hoping to target, trout, salmon, or NZ salt water, the rivers will be low, and clear when you get here and the fish spooky, and weary, brush up on your casting if you fly fish, I use a five weight for most NZ trout fishing, weighted nymphs in 10-14 in common flys, I use a lot of tungsten nymphs, as you got to get down to the fish, in spring flows and again in deep pools late summer.

Was out yesterday, in central NI, and got a few rainbows, but bit windy, been waiting a week, for the west coast to get fishable, and the swell and wind to drop,
boat ready, hopefully tommorow, keen for a feed of snapper or gurnard,
Sea fishings a real mixed bag over here, do a charter for kingfish, I recommend epic charters.
Bring a 6-7 foot 4pc fishing rod, 4-8kg class, with a 3000-4000 sized reel, and a couple spools, one 8-10 for trout and another 12-14lbs for salt, that get you into kahawai, and other inshore spieces. Vertex and small rapalas for trout, and 2-3" spoons and crocs, etc for river mouths and harbours.

Last edited by southernman; 11-13-2017 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Stupid auto correct
Old 11-13-2017, 10:23 AM

Great info. Thanks a lot folks.

Are there any large rivers or tail waters around Taupo?
Old 11-13-2017, 12:27 PM

Several big rivers around Taupo.
The Waikato is the out flow river, biggest in North island.
Tongariro the largest of the inflow rivers, and very well known for trout, Marjor runs in the winter,
Tokaanu tail race, fishes very well, on the south side, of the lake, but is a bit over grown in many spots for fly fishing, got a few good fish, in there over the years,
Twenty or so other rivers flow in to Taupo, all have trout, and any inflow will have a few fish about on the lake drop off. Lake edge for cruising trout.
Cicada hatch, will be on by Feb, and this can have sum fantastic fishing on lake and rivers.
Rotoura lakes and rivers only an hour away, and the headwaters of sum great back country rivers, a half day hike, like the Mohaka, Ngaruroro, Rangitaiki etc.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:44 PM

Wow that's awesome thanks!
Old 11-14-2017, 10:52 AM

Default I'

Pm sent
Old 11-14-2017, 07:48 PM

Spooner, give me a PM, closer to the time you leave Canada, I may be off for the month of February, and back in NZ.
If your up for a fly in back country trip, split you on the chopper, and if you want a couple days in the Salt, come over to Taranaki, and I can put you up, and take you for a fish, (weather dependant, I only have a small boat)
Tuna, and Marlin around Taranaki in Feb.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:30 PM

Wow. What an offer.

A chopper is out of my budget, but I might be up for a trip in the salt. Will contact you closer to Feb. thanks!
Old 11-15-2017, 12:04 AM

Might not be as expensive as you think, $600-1200 return, in an out several days later, split 50/50. Depending on location.
I will check, as thinking of flying in this trip, for a hunt and fish.
We can walk in, in if your interested, I could do with a few day of hard exercise, burn of sum fat. Lots options with a hard half day, tramp/hike in.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:17 PM

Spooner, like Southernman i'm from there too but live here in Alberta. I just got back from a quick two week visit to family in the Sth Island. All i will say is: Take Southernman up on his generous offer and if you have to save a little extra for a heli flight i doubt you will ever regret it. Either way, have fun and max out your time there.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:10 PM

Fished NZ 2 yrs ago Bay of islands look up Earl Grey Fishing Charters he took us out for King Fish caught a ton, great boat and guide. Tell him to fillet one and take it to the local chinese restaurant to cook it for you its great.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:38 PM

good info
Old 01-15-2018, 10:00 AM

Default Guide in NZ

I went fishing around Taupo. It is absolutely beautiful. Pretty much all sight fishing. I booked a guide for a half day in Taupo and would highly recommend it.

I went with "Dream Trout" http://www.dreamtrout.com/

The guide i had was Leon Mcarthy. He is their head guide. He put me on some 20in+ trout on small streams.

Good Luck and have a great time. I cant wait to go back there.