Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-26-2018, 10:33 AM

Default Rendezvous

Who plans on attending the rendezvous July 6-7 in westlock . It’s a show like no other, I will be doing some skinning demos with my son - bobcat lynx an some fox. My family is also going to be receiving fur for the fur handeling competition. It would be nice to meet AO members. Rod Graham.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:41 AM

Was thinking of it but figured some of you guys would be hanging snares for me and bury me in the mud pit....
Old 06-26-2018, 11:02 AM

It would be good to meet you Phil
Old 06-26-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Was thinking of it but figured some of you guys would be hanging snares for me and bury me in the mud pit....
lol !!!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Don't be getting your ginch all twisted up and being all butt hurt. I thoroughly enjoy the rendezvous. There is no fighting no bullying of that nature. Everyone is actually very respectful regardless of their views. I have met some great friends and some guys where I wondered if they wear tinfoil hats.
The seminars and demos are excellent. The info and knowledge is great. And for The deal hunters many vendors have their show specials which are great deals on traps.
The UTC is a blast. If you can trap 14 wolves then you can win the ultimate trapper competition. Yep you do win cash. Yep that might hedge your wolf check. All the guys on here that say there is no info and the ATA is operating in a cloak of shadows can walk up to anyone and have an honest conversation. But flinging mud at people on the internet is so darn productive. And for all you guys that have a beef with a fellow in a black cowboy hat go up to him and talk with the guy. If you want a concern addressed talk to the executives you have time to explain your point of view instead of a 5min phone call or a poorly worded email. Come on down show your skills have a drink talk trapping. Great weekend lots for the whole family

Bill
Old 06-26-2018, 01:55 PM
AO Sponsor

Come anyways Phil, water under the bridge. Divided we fall. That's what it sez
Matt 12:25!!!
Might as well be ESV!
Old 06-26-2018, 02:08 PM
AO Sponsor

SW Guy, I am planning on coming. It would be nice to meet you there too.

I sure hope I get a fast coyote for the skinning contest! I've been practicing, as in I was out a skinner last winter... poor little arthritis hands...
I plan to give Justin W and his Jr skinner partner a good run for their money! Hopefully we arent skinning on them same garbage units as last year... like cord??? Really???

We better skin them kiyutes just like they are filming in SK so that it's an apples to apples comparison. They start them all hanging, which is cheating in my books but we gotta have it all apples. I actually skinned my first and second kiyutes last year hanging that way, and both were disasters!!!

I hang my head in shame...
Old 06-26-2018, 05:24 PM

See you all there! Rod, I'll bring you that Otter for tanning too.

Spruce
Old 06-26-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
You should come Phil not one person would give you any grief, lots of neat stuff and you always learn a thing or two.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:56 PM

Well I'll be there doing a few demos and coming in last in the UTC. 😂 pick up some more gear. Would be nice to meet Dave, Phil and the others off here. Maybe even have a few beers. Rod I’ll see if i can wrangle up some fur for you to judge.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:17 PM

lol No prob guys I said it with a smile so no worries. I get off a night shift so I might see what is going on and bring some kids with me. I'll have to dig up the details of where it is.
Rod , if you are taking fur for tanning I have some for you? Let me know if that is cool or if you want me to mail it.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:31 PM

I am not taking any new customers right now Phil. I am getting really backed up an turn around times are in the eight month area I like to have it around six. Keep your fur in a freezer or it will have bugs.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:35 PM

Default 2018 convention

It is next door to the curling rink where we held conventions for years......see you there.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:18 PM

I'm looking forward to another great rondy. See you all there I hope.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:36 AM
AO Sponsor

How much room is there for holiday trailers?I cant recall
Old 06-28-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
How much room is there for holiday trailers?I cant recall
Lots....no worries there
Old 06-28-2018, 11:28 AM

Bring the kids, we have squirrel skinning, bird house building, sack race, face painting, laser shooting game and I haven't got final confirmation but should have a whacky photo booth (that's a hoot) fun for the whole family. I'm working on the kid's agenda right now, it's a little rough but I'm no expert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kid's agenda 001.jpg (30.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-28-2018, 11:31 AM

We had a three year old freezer go down last week and lost some squirrels so if you have any frozen and can give them to the kids let me know.
The freezer is Kenmore from Sears so the five year warranty no longer applies.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:10 PM

Can't donate any tree rats to skin but I don't mind donating $100 for kids prizes if needs be?
Old 06-28-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
We had a three year old freezer go down last week and lost some squirrels so if you have any frozen and can give them to the kids let me know.
The freezer is Kenmore from Sears so the five year warranty no longer applies.
I have a couple dozen squirrels I can bring but they were at the bottom of the deep freezer for a couple seasons. Do you want me to bring them? Thet might be a little dry.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:53 PM

Kevin Klein said there is over 500 pre registered which is a all time high for the pre register. It’s going to be a good one! My family went to my first rendezvous 10 or 11 years ago an We have never missed one since. Life long friendships have been made, I bet I have a supper and bed to sleep in anywhere in the province - theses are the people you will meet. . Trapping is a passion for me an I love to share anything about the industry, this is why anyone in the industry or interested in that way of Life should attend. I have brought true city livin folk an they are truly impressed with what we do. I am the big guy doing some skinning an me an my family are taking in fur for the fur handeling competition. Come say hi. Rod Graham. See you there.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:29 AM

We still have animals to skin if anyone wants to do a demonstration. These are not speed skinning only for demonstration.
Also we got some muskrat to supplement the squirrels.
Nube Gary G is doing an ultimate junior trapper with prizes (I think) my area is the non competitive just for fun stuff, I am at the cabin til Monday.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:13 PM

And a big thankyou to the Stony Plain Fish and Game for supplying 125 bird house kits as well as small hammers and nails. If you know a member there let them know how much we appreciate that.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
We still have animals to skin if anyone wants to do a demonstration. These are not speed skinning only for demonstration.
Also we got some muskrat to supplement the squirrels.
Nube Gary G is doing an ultimate junior trapper with prizes (I think) my area is the non competitive just for fun stuff, I am at the cabin til Monday.
Rod, I got $100 to send you if you can put it to use? PM me an address if you want it and what you think it could be used for. I will be camping in Slave lake with the family so I don't think I will make it but would like to contribute if I can be of some use
Old 07-01-2018, 08:46 AM

Couple years ago in pincher creek a good friend of mines kid was gonna make me some rope from the kids corner. He made approximately 1 foot of rope. He's was pretty proud of that 1 foot. Great kids stuff. Thanks for donating the bird houses that's is fantastic.

And just saying slave is only 2hours away cause I'll be heading there after the rendezvous. See you all there she's gonna be a fun 1.

Bill
Old 07-01-2018, 09:45 AM

You could either send it to the ATA or to the South Country Trappers. If you send it to SCTA I will let you know what it goes towards. Could be fur handling, ultimate trappers or an auction item. The email is southcountry2014@gmail.com Thanks for the donation!
Old 07-01-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
You could either send it to the ATA or to the South Country Trappers. If you send it to SCTA I will let you know what it goes towards. Could be fur handling, ultimate trappers or an auction item. The email is southcountry2014@gmail.com Thanks for the donation!
Donation Sent. Let me know if it didn't go through for some reason.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:56 AM

We still have openings ( as of yesterday) for skinning an otter, mink or lynx Friday and marten Saturday. These are not speed skinning just demonstration of method or style.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:06 AM

Here is an updated agenda for Kid's Corner thanks to Karen S from South Country keep in mind that this is only part of the activities for kids. Gary G and the folks from Drayton have a junior UTC and Robert Grandjambe (2 episodes of Trapping Inc) will be there with some activities geared to youth. Together we will keep them busy and having a great experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kid's Corner agenda 001.jpg (28.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-02-2018, 09:09 AM

Still need volunteers to put in a couple of hours helping with bird house building both afternoons.
See you in Westlock.
Doug