Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-02-2018, 04:32 PM

Default tickets

Can you get tickets at the door?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:42 PM

Yes, you will be able to get tickets at the door but if you wanted to attend the banquet on Saturday I wouldn’t wait to long as they do sell out.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:42 AM

Day passes are cheap, I think only $10.00 for entry with no meals. If I recall a family is $25.00 A record number of tickets have been pre-sold so phone 780-349-6626 for details . The meals are limited due to pre ordering the food but we decided on large numbers for that, 750 at the banquet.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
We still have openings ( as of yesterday) for skinning an otter, mink or lynx Friday and marten Saturday. These are not speed skinning just demonstration of method or style.
Do you have a fleshing beam there for the Otter?
Old 07-03-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
Day passes are cheap, I think only $10.00 for entry with no meals. If I recall a family is $25.00 A record number of tickets have been pre-sold so phone 780-349-6626 for details . The meals are limited due to pre ordering the food but we decided on large numbers for that, 750 at the banquet.
Was at the ATA today and they are getting very close to being sold out so if you are thinking about attending Rendezvous call the office very soon.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:09 AM

Spruce, Lloyd took 2 round beams and I think Ross is bringing some from the store/education. Maybe call them and make sure there is an appropriate beam.

Still need volunteers, starting to set up today.
The camping area is west of the Spirit Center a ways, lots of room, but there will be a horse and wagon shuttle by a fellow from Lac La Biche (I forget his name, big beard, shaved it off in Plamondon Nolan ?).
See you in Westlock.
Doug
Old 07-04-2018, 07:19 PM

Will be in Westlock this weekend stop and say hi. I will be the guy in the ATA shirt with the name Ryan on it. See you there
TEH

Old 07-05-2018, 11:23 AM

Anyone know where to find info on the fur handling competition? Can't find anything posted.
Spruce
Old 07-05-2018, 01:46 PM

There was a ad in the last magazine.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:43 PM

This was posted on the general forum. Thought it should be here. It is the agenda of the event.

http://www.albertatrappers.com/pdf/2...s%20AGENDA.pdf
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-06-2018, 10:50 PM

Where in Westlock is the rendezvous? ATA building?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Where in Westlock is the rendezvous? ATA building?
The spirit center on the west side of town...across from the UFA cardlock (97th street)
Old 07-07-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
The spirit center on the west side of town...across from the UFA cardlock (97th street)
Thanks Drake
Old 07-07-2018, 08:29 PM

I heard some of the comments on CFCW radio by Nick Gulka while I was driving around the city on Friday. I guess he was doing "live reporting" from the Trapper's Rendezvous. It got me interested on what he was describing and some of the future events and activities. So this morning I got up and drove over there from Ft. Saskatchewan for 9:00. I wasn't disappointed! All kinds of neat stuff to see: trapping supplies, firearms, jewelry, fur fashions, primitive archery gear, and all kinds of neat stuff! I found the demos very interesting; I used to trap muskrats, mink, weasels and the odd coyote.
I chatting with the F & W officers and other professionals and had great time! I watched a film on an old Hudson Bay employee and his return to his old stomping grounds up in the Arctic. Some parts of it, like the stuff on "Residential Schools" brought tears to my eyes! A guy skinning an otter was phenomenal!
It was a great event; I would encourage anyone with interests in the outdoors to attend next year's event!
Old 07-07-2018, 11:44 PM

See you in Grande Prairie next year.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:46 AM

Enjoyed the Rendezvous as well, for all the good reasons mentioned by NW above. Also enjoyed the technical presentations, would be nice to have a few more next year.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:06 AM

I'd like to have see Marty's snaring seminar. His research has been ground breaking.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:32 AM
Banned

Met Thunder Elk Hunter Ryan , nice to get to know him , also Zeph , and saw Southwest skinning a very mangled badly road killed Lynx !
Big boy that fellow LOL
Bought a lot of Marty toys, talked to Ann . met some of the Rocky members , Good friendly group those fellows !
Had my 83 year young friend with me , he enjoyed himself a lot !
Saw Ken Hildebrand , Nice guy there ! All in all it was very enjoyable , Now we wait for the Rocky members picnic at Eddy Botts pasture this weekend coming . Now there is a great picnic to attend !
Old 07-08-2018, 11:05 AM

Was wonderful to meet a lot of trappers this weekend that are passionate about their profession.
To see the fastest coyote skinning competition was something to see! 1 minute 51 seconds was the fastest, now that is fast.

Was great to see well deserving trappers receive recognition at the banquet last night.

What a super turn out hopeful next year is as well attended.

Learned a few tricks and tips that will help me next season so to me it was money well spent.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcrazy View Post
See you in Grande Prairie next year.
Is it going to be in gp next year?
Old 07-08-2018, 08:42 PM

Well actually in Teepee creek which isn’t far but the Grande Prairie local is putting it on. They seem very excited to be hosting it and have already put out a challenge out to the other locals for a fire starting competition. I’ll will be putting up some videos of this years rendezvous on some Facebook pages. I’ll post when they up.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcrazy View Post
Well actually in Teepee creek which isn’t far but the Grande Prairie local is putting it on. They seem very excited to be hosting it and have already put out a challenge out to the other locals for a fire starting competition. I’ll will be putting up some videos of this years rendezvous on some Facebook pages. I’ll post when they up.
Cool good to know. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:01 AM

Here's a picture from the Kid's Corner sack race, (I'm having trouble with windows 10 and pictures). Ingrid and I were so busy there that we missed the rest of the Rendezvous except for the food, it was terrific. Our rope maker and face painter were swamped both days. Kids built and painted 87 bird houses and skinned about 20 muskrats and some squirrels.
Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1097.JPG (171.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:14 AM

Here are some pics of the shooting game , face painting and muskrat skinners. I have a 9 second video but don't know how to post it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1088.JPG (144.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1126.JPG (159.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1120.JPG (152.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1127.JPG (160.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:41 AM

You guys knocked it out of the park Dugh!!! My kids are still talking about it
Old 07-09-2018, 02:08 PM

Great turnout with over 700 at Saturday supper. Food was excellent too from smoked pork chops to 3 different types of hand made sausage for lunch. Edmonton did a great job on organizing. It'll be a tough act to follow but I know the GP local is up for it.

I bought my share of gear and my 88 year old Dad had a blast. The rope making machine was a real hit with the kids for sure.

Once again thanks Edmonton for organizing and the town of Westlock for hosting.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:22 PM

The folks down in Rocky make you feel so welcome and put on a fantastic picnic, with events, food and an auction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Met Thunder Elk Hunter Ryan , nice to get to know him , also Zeph , and saw Southwest skinning a very mangled badly road killed Lynx !
Big boy that fellow LOL
Bought a lot of Marty toys, talked to Ann . met some of the Rocky members , Good friendly group those fellows !
Had my 83 year young friend with me , he enjoyed himself a lot !
Saw Ken Hildebrand , Nice guy there ! All in all it was very enjoyable , Now we wait for the Rocky members picnic at Eddy Botts pasture this weekend coming . Now there is a great picnic to attend !
Old 07-10-2018, 01:24 PM

Sure looking forward to the Rendezvous next year in Grande Prairie! It gets better every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
Great turnout with over 700 at Saturday supper. Food was excellent too from smoked pork chops to 3 different types of hand made sausage for lunch. Edmonton did a great job on organizing. It'll be a tough act to follow but I know the GP local is up for it.

I bought my share of gear and my 88 year old Dad had a blast. The rope making machine was a real hit with the kids for sure.

Once again thanks Edmonton for organizing and the town of Westlock for hosting.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:55 AM

When is the Rocky event? Just might have to make a road if it fits into my work schedule.

Had an invite to the Lac La Biche event in August and I'm going if it fits the work schedule.

Always a bunch of great people and you seem to pick up one or 2 tidbits that help you for you next season. Why trial and error when there is a lot of folks out there that are willing to help you out if you just ask or listen. The day you think you know it all is the day you lose your edge!

Last edited by Thunder Elk Hunter; 07-11-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:05 PM

I attended the rendezvous my brother and a couple south trappers were there as well. I must say it's great to get out and see some old friends and met new folks. Everyone is so friendly. Great group of guys. Like Ann said trappers at the rendezvous are truly like a family and it's true. Gary's HTC is always a big hit. And Marty had that fastest coyote skinned at 2min. Damn quick. But Justin got by him with an amazing 1min 51. WOW...

Just in case folks don't know right now at these rendezvous normal folks are walking among Trapping Legends of our time from older fellas like Allan P, Ken H and next gen guys Marty and Gary. Then the younger guys Justin, The Spruce, Duncan &Rod. I may have missed a few. These guys are all accessible. Walk up and chat with them at the rendezvous. The knowledge and willingness to share info has never been better.

Some nice fur jackets were auctioned off. Beautiful stuff. Thanks to all the vollenteers they have a tough job. Thanks. Nice to see Rod and his family great folks. Real great skinning demos. Rod is a master fur handler. Thanks Doug and Ingrid you guys worked your butts off. I'm sure I'm forgetting folks but thanks. To all the folks trappers and outdoorsman come by next year it's just fantastic.

Bill