Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 10:05 PM

Default Brief slave lake update & startling sonar discovery

Hey guys,

So we went to slave for 5 days and only got about 6-7 hrs of fishing. Didnt get a chance to fish for pike because water was so murky from the crazy wind all week long. Mostly jigging for walleye near spruce point and got some but nothing too crazy, biggest around 51cms. But heres something crazy i found out.....

We were jigging the first evening right beside other boats we were with and they were doing quite well, same hooks, same bait etc etc... they out caught us easily 10-1. So we summed it up to the exact spot and called it a night a little dissapointed. Next morning we got out again and set up right where they were and did not catch anything again. Meanwhile i was marking fish on my sonar while we were sitting there, they would take a quick look at the hooks and leave. This happened over the course of an hour -2hrs and we got maybe 1. I thought perhaps one of the reasons was my spot lock/trolling motor holding us on the spot and so that day and the day before i resorted to anchoring up as well with no difference. Now a couple boats set up around us and starting all catching.... i took a last random effort and turned my fish finder off and within 30 seconds we had 2 hooked up, and then another 2 more after that. It was that fast - this continued on for the next 2-3 hrs until we ended up leaving for lunch.

Sorry this is getting long - however, i have a lowrance gen 3 hds. I have noticed the last few trips that ive had it out it has made a quiet audible continuous clicking noise from the transduscer it sounds like whenever i run my 2d sonar/transduscer on either chirp or regular mid or low range frequencies. On either of the high frequencies the clicking seems to stop(but that is what i resorted to using while fishing because i couldnt hear it. Needless to say the fish definitely did!!! So i dont know if this has something to do with maybe a damaged transduscer from a stray rock from travelling or what, but what happened the second i turned it off was shocking on the instant response.

Has anyone had this before? Or had the same thing happen even when you couldnt hear any noise regarding the fish responding better with the sonar off? I think i have heard of some people saying the same thing before. But i had a gen 2 and never had a problem like this before - we used to jig perch all day and watch them on the sonar with them continuously biting non stop.

Let me know what you think.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:37 AM

I have been hard water fishing before, could see fish coming up to the hook on the flasher and when the door on the truck closed the fish moved away. Could be vibrations that cause this.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:50 AM

Just a thought, I have seen where one group did real well and the next group got almost nothing three days in a row! After experimenting for those days the group with no luck just used tackle from the other groups kit. And bingo things changed big time, from that we determined that all the gear in one big tackle kit had a scent or taste that fish didn’t like! Later on the guy discovered in his kit a bunch of rubber jigs had melted into the plastic box and there had been a chemical reaction which he believes tainted all his gear!!
Sst
Old 07-15-2018, 09:20 AM

No vibrations as we had turned the trolling motor off. And we used the same hooks the entire time.

No way that it is a coincidence with exact timing of turning the finder off...
Old 07-15-2018, 09:39 AM

Definitly some thing to consider.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:40 AM

Also on another note can you guys please tell me how many of you can hear the “ticking” noise from the transduscer on your boat please.

Thank you
Old 07-15-2018, 09:52 AM

Pm Walleyedude or Mudslide. I am sure either will have your answer if they dont see this thread first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
Hey guys,

So we went to slave for 5 days and only got about 6-7 hrs of fishing. Didnt get a chance to fish for pike because water was so murky from the crazy wind all week long. Mostly jigging for walleye near spruce point and got some but nothing too crazy, biggest around 51cms. But heres something crazy i found out.....

We were jigging the first evening right beside other boats we were with and they were doing quite well, same hooks, same bait etc etc... they out caught us easily 10-1. So we summed it up to the exact spot and called it a night a little dissapointed. Next morning we got out again and set up right where they were and did not catch anything again. Meanwhile i was marking fish on my sonar while we were sitting there, they would take a quick look at the hooks and leave. This happened over the course of an hour -2hrs and we got maybe 1. I thought perhaps one of the reasons was my spot lock/trolling motor holding us on the spot and so that day and the day before i resorted to anchoring up as well with no difference. Now a couple boats set up around us and starting all catching.... i took a last random effort and turned my fish finder off and within 30 seconds we had 2 hooked up, and then another 2 more after that. It was that fast - this continued on for the next 2-3 hrs until we ended up leaving for lunch.

Sorry this is getting long - however, i have a lowrance gen 3 hds. I have noticed the last few trips that ive had it out it has made a quiet audible continuous clicking noise from the transduscer it sounds like whenever i run my 2d sonar/transduscer on either chirp or regular mid or low range frequencies. On either of the high frequencies the clicking seems to stop(but that is what i resorted to using while fishing because i couldnt hear it. Needless to say the fish definitely did!!! So i dont know if this has something to do with maybe a damaged transduscer from a stray rock from travelling or what, but what happened the second i turned it off was shocking on the instant response.

Has anyone had this before? Or had the same thing happen even when you couldnt hear any noise regarding the fish responding better with the sonar off? I think i have heard of some people saying the same thing before. But i had a gen 2 and never had a problem like this before - we used to jig perch all day and watch them on the sonar with them continuously biting non stop.

Let me know what you think.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
Also on another note can you guys please tell me how many of you can hear the “ticking” noise from the transduscer on your boat please.

Thank you
I can when it’s on the trailer and I forget to turn the sonar off. It can also be felt if you grab the transducer.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:17 PM

What kind of line are you using? Also what kind of bait?
Old 07-17-2018, 06:35 AM

I was up their and the same thing happened i shut off the fish finder and it was like i magic none stop catching
Old 07-17-2018, 12:07 PM

Never had any issues there this year. Vertical jigging is what most seemed to be doing, but easily outfished them by pitching jigs or mainly using jigging rapala, shiver minnows or hyper rattles. Trolling 0.9-1.2 mph with a 3 way rig or bottom bouncer with a Slow death hook and a killer crawler in Breen orange is deadly too

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk